Builds "The Milk Truck" FJ45 Preservation Sorta (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tank5

SILVER Star
Threads
I purchased what would become the foundation of this build a year and a half ago. After I purchase it life happened and in short order I had listed the 1965 SWB R/T for sale. While it was for sale things changed and my wife named it "The Milk Truck". Now that it had been named it seemed appropriate to keep it, so I have. The Milk Truck was very modified and fun as a flatbed utility truck but my preference would have been to have a SWB that was more stock looking and figured I would eventually ditch some of the modifications in favor of an more original look. I had been dreaming about how I would eventually modify it more to my liking but didn't have a solid plan for when I would start making it my own. That all changed when I learned about a 45 SWB R/T body that had been transplanted on a 55 chassis but the swap was never completed. I knew I needed that project to marry with my SWB 45. I bought it which forced me to take The Milk Truck apart and get rid of what I didn't need.

The Milk Truck before it was disassembled.

The Milk Truck.jpg

This is the 45 body as I bought it on the 55 chassis. The conversion had been started pre 2005 and had gone through two people prior to me. It had been sitting in farm field for 14 years before I got it. The body is in pretty good condition and does not have a lot of cancer rust but there are a few spots that had been hacked. Nothing that cannot be fixed. It had a big rat nest under both seats, so I stopped at the first carwash I found on the way home with it and cleaned out it. That was nasty work but I am glad I did not do it in my driveway. I don't think I have pictures of the clean out.

29655.jpeg

29651.jpeg

Last edited:
The first thing I did was take The Milk Truck apart down to the chassis. Then put the "new" 45 body on the chassis. It was super exciting to see an original SWB R/T body on the original SWB R/T chassis. I would not have expected that anyone would find a fairly complete body like that just sitting around with out it's frame. I feel lucky to have had the opportunity to buy it. This is all I have done with it so far and probably won't get back to it for another month or so. I have a few other projects to finish first. I figured I would start this thread to scratch the itch in place of not being to work on it and help lay out a plan.

My plans for it.

The Milk Truck chassis is so modified that I don't see it being built as purist restoration type build. Good for me as I am not a purist. I am not planning a restoration or restomod but more of a modernized preservation. The body is in good enough shape, so I am not planning to paint the exterior but will paint the inside of the cab and coat the underside with por15. The 5"alcan SUA suspension is going away, I plan to replaced it with an 80 series suspension and 80 axles narrowed to 58" I plan to reuse the ARB's and 4.88s from the current axles in the new axles. The 37" tires pictured will probably get downsized to 35". The engine will be a 2uzfe with a H151f with an 80 series transfer case. I am trying to decide if I should go with a part time tcase or full time tcase. I am leaning towards a full time case.

That's it and I hope to be working on it soon.

20191006_022854.jpg

Last edited:
The Milk Truck was outfitted with Saginaw power steering when you bought it right? But, it used the original Toyota column?

I take it that the steering was not bolted up on the 55 when you bought it? Like, it would be hard to make the stock pig steering work on a 45?

The Milk Truck was outfitted with Saginaw power steering when you bought it right? But, it used the original Toyota column?

I take it that the steering was not bolted up on the 55 when you bought it? Like, it would be hard to make the stock pig steering work on a 45?

The Milk Truck had a Saginaw AGR power assist steering that used a GM steerining column. The Body on the 55 did use a 55 column that was hooked up so it steered but it was far from finished. The firewall was hacked the allow the column to stick through. I don't plan to use the 55 Column.

I am planning to get rid of the AGR power steering box on the chassis and replace it with an 80 series box. I will probably use an 80 series steering column with it.

So what are your plans for the old SWB body?

Selling it. The flat bed and front fenders sold already. What I didn't need from the cab is for sale in the classifieds. The guy that bought the front fenders has decided not to use them, so they are for sale again, I could pass his info. on if anyone is interested in them.

Since I don’t remember to visit the 45 forum regularly, I’m glad you posted here! Subscribed.

Since I don’t remember to visit the 45 forum regularly, I’m glad you posted here! Subscribed.

I went back and forth for where I should post this build. I considered the 45 section and the hardcore section but it is far from original and the direction I am going seems less hardcore than it was, so I figured it would be most fitting here.

I look at it every day but don't have time to dig into yet. I am getting closer though. I am excited to get started, it should be fun.

I went back and forth for where I should post this build. I considered the 45 section and the hardcore section but it is far from original and the direction I am going seems less hardcore than it was, so I figured it would be most fitting here.

I look at it every day but don't have time to dig into yet. I am getting closer though. I am excited to get started, it should be fun.
Posting here is just fine with me. I love it!

When I pulled the body off the 45 chassis I found I had to remove a bunch of brackets just to allow the new body to sit on the mounts. I still have to go back and clean things up but here is the pile of stuff I cut off the frame.

20190930_235344.jpg

20191005_141052.jpg

20191005_161102.jpg

Looks great @Tank5. Should be a lot lighter with all that was cutoff. The 2UZ combo is just just too cool. Looking forward to seeing it done. :popcorn:

I have not touched this yet since resting the body on the chassis. I have been thinking about about the first things I need to tackle when I finally get to start on it. Boxing the rear of the frame is one the first tasks after I get it cleaned up. I am planning to weld in the spring buckets and square cross members from an 80 series and boxing the rear of the frame seems necessary for to support the suspension.

I have looked at ruff stuffs boxing kit but am considering another approach. I have a very solid fj40 rear frame half and it looks like the rear wheel arches are the same, so I am thinking of using the rear to box the 45 frame. It is already shaped correctly and it is a duplicate of what is already there. I am interested to see what the experience here on the forum thinks of the idea.

The first picture of the frame cross section is from an 80 series. The construction is "C" channel with a smaller "C" channel inside. Since I would be using two equal sized "C" channel frame pieces the overlap would be one in the frame and one side under it. The second picture is two pieces of 40 frame and would be how I would try to box the frame. Does anyone see any issues with boxing the frame this way?

pictures coming

20191226_173544.jpg

20191226_173627.jpg

I have been on the fence while I wait to start on this, should I continue this project with the H151 or go with an auto A750 transmission. I have both set ups, so sourcing what I need is not an issue. I have read a lot of pros and cons for Auto vs. Manual trans. I decided it mostly comes down to personal preference. I am not trying to start a comparison argument here. I am curious if anyone has a different perspective for not running the h151 trans for overlanding and mild wheeling.

Personally I enjoy daily driving a manual but feel an auto on trails with obstacles tends to be smoother unless you have a crawl box or significant gear reduction ability in the manual. It would be cool to add a black box behind the h151 but if it does happen it won't be part of the initial build. The cool unique factor of having the manual 2uz makes it tough to give up as well. I could go either way I think. I am curious to hear what others think.

I have driven an 80 that had an h151 but I have not driven anything with the a750, so there is a perspective I don't have.

I decided I would be happy with either an auto 5 speed or manual 5 speed. I have both and have more invested in the manual set up, so I decided to list the manual h151 for sale. If it does not sell I may still use it just figured I would make it available and see what happens.

I finaly have a little time to work on this. I started building a front axle for it using an 80 series semifloat housing and the knuckle balls from an 80 front. The plan is to build a 9.5" front housing with 80 knuckle balls and hellfire knuckles. I will then weld the 80 suspension brackets back. Hopefully I will end up with a front axle WMS at about 59".

Mid day, this is as far as I have got. Trying to cut those brackets off clean is tough. Still have a lot of clean up to do.

20200328_120546.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't finish it yesterday. My digital angle finder was giving me inconsistant measurements, so I bought another model today.

I was able to get the knuckles set and welded up. With the true bar in place everything stayed where it was set. It is all strait. I hope it stays that way after the bar comes out.

I cut 4 inches off the long side. The rear is next.

20200329_165655.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom