The Lexus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Running 87. Haven't had this problem yet and i've only ever run 87 in it for the year i've been driving it.
Sometimes i'll do a few clicks past but recently I think I was done pumping at 1 click. I have reset it and it comes back.

Main reason for wanting a fix is because it's not going into overdrive and i'm getting probably 12-16mpg which is adding up fast.
Also don't want to have it pump too much fuel into the system because we just had both cats replaced and I don't want to burn them up.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. You know that a Land Cruiser forum is hardly the place to be complaining about that, right?!?!?! Ha!
Yes yes yes I know. My complaint is on two planes: should be getting 19-21 and if i'm getting 12-16 I should be running 3" of lift

I assume that you’ve done the standard tuneup items including plugs and such. Does it have a MAF or ?

You should probably be running a minimum of 91 in there.

It "can" run on 87, but it will knock. The owner's manual says you can run 87 in an emergency for short periods.

Clear the code by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, then run 91 or 93 in there from now on. If the problem continues, then maybe the sensor is bad.

I run 93 in my is300. 2jz with vvti and I'll get knock with 87 and my driving style.

I was hoping somebody smarter than me would mention that. My old school carb'd 350 sounds like a diesel and feels like hell when I run more than 2 tanks of 87-octane ethanol. Runs great on 91 ethanol or 89 E-free. My wife had an '07 ES350 but I can't remember if it ran 91 or 87. I know her '16 IS200 ran 91.

I swear I never touched, talked to, or otherwise communicated with your car. It must be coming from somewhere else!
I mean you may have, it tells me that all the checks it has been given have bounced. . . .

I had an ES330 in high school that I called the Extra s***ty

I had an ES330 in high school that I called the Extra s***ty
Honestly...I like this car. I do, it is better quality than the 96 Camry I had in high school and a little thereafter.
Maybe it is because we bought it 17 years in with the previous 2 owners doing the bare minimum therefore causing us to have to do the substantial repairs.
But the bloody cupholders man....

I'm not hating on your car, I'm just remembering my s***box. Yours is a 3rd gen which I think was the golden era for Lexus material quality. The ES that I had was literally a rebadged camry with no redeeming features and a mediocre interior. It would be nice if luxury meant a high quality interior materials like it used to instead of useless tech that costs a fortune when it breaks.

I'm not hating on your car, I'm just remembering my s***box. Yours is a 3rd gen which I think was the golden era for Lexus material quality. The ES that I had was literally a rebadged camry with no redeeming features and a mediocre interior. It would be nice if luxury meant a high quality interior materials like it used to instead of useless tech that costs a fortune when it breaks.
I prefer the tape/ 6 CD combo in it over the infotainment system in our '16 pilot.
At 204k miles and 19 years the drivers seat in the lexus is far more comfortable than the one in our pilot which only has 79k miles.

It "can" run on 87, but it will knock. The owner's manual says you can run 87 in an emergency for short periods.

Clear the code by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, then run 91 or 93 in there from now on. If the problem continues, then maybe the sensor is bad.

I run 93 in my is300. 2jz with vvti and I'll get knock with 87 and my driving style.
Put 93 in it this morning after low fuel light was on for a little bit so tank is about 90%-95% full of 93. Immediate difference in performance, CEL still on. Drove fine up until about 2 miles from work (so 12 since filled up) and started dogging again, my thought is because CEL is still on. Got to work and unhooked battery, so we will see when I go to leave today. Fingers crossed this fixed the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom