The HORROR! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wurd...

PS - it is a small world. I met the guy who had the tan Mog in the pics at the beginning of this thread!

He is a member of Trick-n-Traction out of Easley. They are a really good local club. He has always waved to me going down the road.

I'm up for doing anything we can to help the area.

Shutting down the balds sucks. Doesn't mean I couldn't park below and hike up. Was just an awesome camping spot. By far the best.

There are just so many of us who want to wheel or just get out somewhere that is remote and camp.
Once you hear of a place on the net. It's a free for all.

Last edited:
So, what would everyone thing about forming a group (not UC, not GC, not TTORA) but a new group just for the area and having hikers and all users working towards a plan with the FS? We'll need some folks to lead the effort too... (not it, too busy with Tellico, but I can help).

I really like this idea. My only concern would be if the FS came back and asked for help with graveling the whole thing how many of us would be up for doing that.

I really like this idea. My only concern would be if the FS came back and asked for help with graveling the whole thing how many of us would be up for doing that.

Well, that would have to be worked out. Maybe for our labor (after all, SFWDA has a big ass dumptruck sitting right now), we could negotiate some open areas where we would do some wheeling? It would have to be a give and take, that's the whole point of forming this kind of group and signing an official Memorandum of Understanding with the FS.

Damn, that's what i have been dreading. Thanks for the update. gonna borrow the pics from over there for the shock factor, maybe for motivation. Look like this is long term as they've seeded the entrances as well.

As copied from TTORA site

CF is blocked in both directions after the first camping spot where the trail spits. I didn't make it all the way up RB, but as far as i know it is still closed going up to the bald.

CF blocked after the first campsite.
IMG_7608.jpg

Tank trap blocking CF. There were 2 more traps, behind this trap, that i could see from where i was standing.
IMG_7612.jpg

Creek crossing off CF
IMG_7615.jpg

The Officer that I spoke with didn't tell a whole lot, but from what i gathered, the roads were closed due to environmental and liability reasons. He didn't know if there were going to be anymore closures, but again who knows.

Found this on the web tonight. It's from a Scoping Order from the Nantahala NF dated April 15, 2008 and is quite detailed. I actually found 2 documents, this information plus a 121 page EA (Environment Assessment) from January 15, 2009 which by now should remind you somewhere else.

The GIS indicates there are approximately 55 miles of unclassified roads in the project area.

Preliminary Issues – The project IDTeam identified the following important issues affecting road-related management in the project area.:

Wet Face Project 3 April 4, 2008 Preliminary Road Analysis

• Illegal Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) and All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) use.
• Lack of adequate road maintenance on some roads.
• Introduction of nonnative invasive plant species.
• Aquatic conditions and vulnerability where roads are near streams or at stream crossings, including fish passage concerns.
• Access to private property.
• Current condition of the roads and usefulness for providing administrative access for vegetation management, commodity production and wildfire suppression.
• Noncompliance of road density standards in Management Areas 3B, 4C and 4D.

Benefits, Problems and Risks Relevant to Roads in the Project Area:

Benefits – For the most part, the road system offers adequate access for long-term timber management, access for wildlife habitat management, access for fire control, foot access for hunters and gatherers, access for inventory, survey and research, and efficiency of maintenance. All gated roads are open to public use by hikers, bicyclists, are horse riders.

Problems – Illegal Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) and All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) use.
• Fish passage concerns.
• Providing access to private property via Forest Service roads.
• The open road density in Management Areas 3B, 4C and 4D exceed the standards described in the Forest Plan in order to be in full compliance with the Forest Plan.

Risks – Introduction of nonnative invasive plant species.

Opportunities for Addressing Important Problems and Risks Relevant to Roads in the Project Area
• Enforce regulations regarding OHV and ATV use.
• Prioritize road maintenance needs and develop funding sources to maintain roads.
• Address problems of fish passage where roads cross streams.
• Treat invasive exotic plants with herbicides as they are encountered in the project area.
• Close undesignated roads as they are known to occur in the project area.
• Opportunities should be considered for closing some system roads that are currently managed as open.

Found this on the web tonight. It's from a Scoping Order from the Nantahala NF dated April 15, 2008 and is quite detailed. I actually found 2 documents, this information plus a 121 page EA (Environment Assessment) from January 15, 2009 which by now should remind you somewhere else.

The GIS indicates there are approximately 55 miles of unclassified roads in the project area.

Preliminary Issues – The project IDTeam identified the following important issues affecting road-related management in the project area.:

Wet Face Project 3 April 4, 2008 Preliminary Road Analysis

• Illegal Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) and All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) use.
• Introduction of nonnative invasive plant species.
• Aquatic conditions and vulnerability where roads are near streams or at stream crossings, including fish passage concerns.
• Access to private property.
• Current condition of the roads and usefulness for providing administrative access for vegetation management, commodity production and wildfire suppression.
• Noncompliance of road density standards in Management Areas 3B, 4C and 4D.

Benefits, Problems and Risks Relevant to Roads in the Project Area:

Benefits – For the most part, the road system offers adequate access for long-term timber management, access for wildlife habitat management, access for fire control, foot access for hunters and gatherers, access for inventory, survey and research, and efficiency of maintenance. All gated roads are open to public use by hikers, bicyclists, are horse riders.

Problems – Illegal Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) and All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) use.
• Fish passage concerns.
• Providing access to private property via Forest Service roads.
• The open road density in Management Areas 3B, 4C and 4D exceed the standards described in the Forest Plan in order to be in full compliance with the Forest Plan.

Risks – Introduction of nonnative invasive plant species.

Opportunities for Addressing Important Problems and Risks Relevant to Roads in the Project Area
• Enforce regulations regarding OHV and ATV use.
• Prioritize road maintenance needs and develop funding sources to maintain roads.
• Address problems of fish passage where roads cross streams.
• Treat invasive exotic plants with herbicides as they are encountered in the project area.
• Close undesignated roads as they are known to occur in the project area.
• Opportunities should be considered for closing some system roads that are currently managed as open.

i guess that about sums it up, now what....

i guess that about sums it up, now what....

Not sure what the next step is but I found this over on Pirate and it may be helpful. Sent an email to the NC contact and awaiting a response.

NOHVCC — Home

Caney Fork news just got worse.

Hello guys,
I live six miles from Caney Fork in Tuckasegee, NC. Went up there on Saturday afternoon and I have news that is much worse than before. After they got finished with the mull Creek side with the berms they went back and added more on the side trails off of the Moses Creek side. I thought fine, At least you can drive up to the balds and camp.................NO!!!! The rangers were putting the finishing touches on fresh paint for the new GATE !!!!....on Moses Creek !!! It's done. they put a new gate at the bottom of the balds where the trail narrows. They had a flat clearing cut out of the hilside that was waiting for gravel to be a parking lot. Signage that read foot and horse traffic only. Now you will have to park and hike up to the balds. This is not the old gate at the bottom OK. This is a new gate. I want to be clear on that. I'm devastated....I live here. Rough butt is still open...for now. It's mostly on private land according to all the locals. Owners are totally cool but you better be prepared to run on that side. lockers and winches boys. I've got pics of the gate and lot. I'll post later. :bang::flipoff2:

Here is the April, 2008 Forest Service Scoping Letter where they told us they were going to do something:
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nepa/wayah/wetface_scoping.pdf

On Page 3 it states "

Install road closure devices at 13 locations to reduce open road densities in the project area

(refer to the enclosed maps and to the enclosed preliminary road analysis).

And, here is the EA issued in January, 2009.
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nepa/nantahala/wet_face_ea.pdf

They clearly told the public their intentions. Table 1.2 starts on Page 84 of the document and lists each road.

Basically the NEPA process is over and the decisions are being implemented.

Here is the April, 2008 Forest Service Scoping Letter where they told us they were going to do something:
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nepa/wayah/wetface_scoping.pdf

On Page 3 it states "

Install road closure devices at 13 locations to reduce open road densities in the project area

(refer to the enclosed maps and to the enclosed preliminary road analysis).

And, here is the EA issued in January, 2009.
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nepa/nantahala/wet_face_ea.pdf

They clearly told the public their intentions. Table 1.2 starts on Page 84 of the document and lists each road.

Basically the NEPA process is over and the decisions are being implemented.

Yea! Thanks Dave. I've been reading through them since last week and they basically take the legs out from under us. The public opportunity to voice our opinion was back in early 08 so we missed out chance. Around that time, "Eventhough" was talking directly with the Ranger in charge of the program(s) and he never mentioned a word about the "wet face" scoping letter or associated EA that came out earlier this year.

In addition, there's mention of a +/-225 acre land swap around the sugar gap area. I don't know that area as well but I believe it may be an attempt to cutoff access to other areas. :bang:

Unfortunately, you are correct.

It pays to have local Clubs or Chapters communicating with the Forest Service.

We need to be more involved with the land managers who hold the keys to our roads and trails.

Hopefully this is a lesson learned.

Hopefully this is a lesson learned.

This is a sad lesson but hopefully it will be a lesson learned to the ORV community.

You have to be involved. Keeping your head down will only get you so far.

Whee doesn't have an organized 'caretaker' group like Tellico has in SFWDA. I still think it would be a good idea to get a group up and running to actively communicate with the FS about Whee.

Ted - sent you a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom