Builds The Guzzler - 2009 LX570 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

those look sweet. i doubt aluminum would present much challenge to you.

Thanks. I think small flat metal plates with no joints may be the extent of my metalworking career, but I may get ambitious thinking about drawers. I definitely much prefer wood. It is way more forgiving.

Thanks. I think small flat metal plates with no joints may be the extent of my metalworking career, but I may get ambitious thinking about drawers. I definitely much prefer wood. It is way more forgiving.
Once I figured out that I could use cut off pieces of the angle to make the corners (6061 aluminum doesn’t bend to 90 degrees without breaking unless heated) it all became pretty straightforward.

Spring oil change. First one with the TC skids. Much easier to drop (5 bolts) than the stock skid. No problems.
bucked the trend and went with 0w-30 Mobil1.
Found some weird indentation on the skid. Looks like I was missing a spacer at the mid/front joint. A bolt rattled free last summer and when I replaced it I forgot there was a spacer above. Doh!
Made another out of a piece of 3/8” cutting board.
Just used H mode to create space for sliding under.

87C54DBE-5386-4918-A45D-A34F0DCA5845.jpeg

C9DF2043-1888-45ED-B43E-263E1B593F6F.jpeg

22B71F47-1D78-4E4E-9307-BD316D1FFAB4.jpeg

C928A924-1333-4265-B52D-FFCE63C879E1.jpeg

Five tire rotation completed. This was the fourth rotation so the spare has been on both sides of the car in all positions. It looks evenly worn, but I need to find my depth gauge and check.

Also took off the pax plate / propane tank mount. It was heavier than I remembered. . . .

Rear mudflap achievement unlocked.
My rear axle has drifted left an inch or so. I am in high, going to put it down and drive around and see if it recenters.
Haven’t noticed it before, but haven’t been looking either.

ADD2EF8F-3565-452C-A8E4-74E94FAF2DAA.jpeg

Another skinny option on the market!
Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT (hybrid look) has a 35x10x17 (255/85r17). 34.6”, 64 lb.

Joins the kenda rt 35x10.5r17 and the Goodyear mtr 275/80r17 in the mid 34” spec size.

Rear mudflap achievement unlocked.
My rear axle has drifted left an inch or so. I am in high, going to put it down and drive around and see if it recenters.
Haven’t noticed it before, but haven’t been looking either.

View attachment 2657796

It definitely displaces to the driver side when in high. Normal and a function of the panhard bar that you can see in your pic. It's the angled bar near the upper part of the axle. As it swings from its normal horizontal position, it'll pull things over. An adjustable panhard can help but doesn't fix the axle moving side to side as the suspension cycles.

Not sure if you've seen but checkout the cool ass brackets that @GJamisonUT fab'd up for his extreme build. Those same brackets could be used by those that want to keep a higher lift and would do wonders to improve handling at the rear axle. Prob more useful for the LC guys that need to run higher static lifts.

I did the tire rotate in high, have a feeling that jacking up the rear twice gave it some leeway to swing a bit more than usual left. Then putting on the mud flaps I was looking at it to see if the flaps were centered on the tires . . .

Clearly I need to spend more time driving aimlessly around . . .

Clear, perfectly imaged sound with no distortion anywhere. Sounded better than I could have dreamed. Mirror shaking amplitude but no listening fatigue. Hard to describe, but so loud you don't want it any louder, full spectrum sound and feel (low bass extension) but all in the right place and volume balance.
I'd love to pimp out my audio system like I used to do. When my kids were in elementary school I had a Honda Pilot in which I swapped out all of the factory speakers and added a 10" sub. Hooked all that up to an amp that pushed something like 100 Watts per speaker plus dedicated 300 Watts to the sub. It was the thumpin'st Honda Pilot in our family oriented neighborhood. The kids loved it until I'd pull up at school and start playing something loud as they got in the car. :)

Anyway, if you are a child of the 80's like I am and you want to play a "clean" song with some bass for them, Nu Shooz - I Can't Wait is a good one. My college-age kids still talk about that song and laugh at how we'd roll down the streets with the windows down. The intro is instantly familiar to them still. Of course, I've never told my Audiologist wife about these activities. ;)

Got the fridge tray onto the slides and mount. Now just the anchors and then the cage.
Had to pivot the corners 90 deg, the rivets were in the way of the slides.
@1world1love its 14.1 lbs as it sits. Slides were 8 lb on their own, so the tray and mounts are 6

EA8F5CD3-2D3F-40DB-9EF9-E8E145A8A50B.jpeg

FBCFC140-A5CD-41D9-84DA-DB918A4664C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Got the fridge tray onto the slides and mount. Now just the anchors and then the cage.
Had to pivot the corners 90 def, the rivers were in the way of the slides.
@1world1love its 14.1 lbs as it sits.

Wow, yeah,, I definitely need to do this. That is much less than half the weight of what I currently have. This may have been asked before, but do those slides lock halfway or just full?

Wow, yeah,, I definitely need to do this. That is much less than half the weight of what I currently have. This may have been asked before, but do those slides lock halfway or just full?
Yes, both.

So after thinking about it overnight, I think one of my next projects will be to re-engineer my drawer setup. Now that I've lived with the current setup for a year, I am very happy with it, but definitely have some thoughts for a v2. I would really like to address the weight and you have given me some inspiration here on how I might go about it.

I need to think about how I might integrate the fridge slide into the design of the drawer system. I haven't quite figure out how yet, but I think there is some space and weight savings to be had by thinking about the whole setup as a cohesive unit rather than plopping the fridge tray on the top of the platform.

Time to put the few functioning brain cells I have to work. And I need a pop rivet tool.

One pack of shims and I think with the fridge it’ll still rub. Couldn’t find my locating pins, so the holes needed some refinement and it took a bit longer than planned.
Scrap plywood from local building site wasn’t the right dimensions either.
It goes in and out though.

A1FAA160-165E-48D9-85A6-D44D0436453B.jpeg

3C038712-837C-415D-B1B3-6F66507894EA.jpeg

12B8B21B-3A81-4C03-BE66-F7DE3A6548E4.jpeg

@1world1love
I think it only locks at full open.there is a detent at 1/2 open but it doesn’t lock
Also requires the lock released at halfway on the way in.
So unlock to release.
Slides to full open
Unlock to slide 1/2 way in from full open
Unlock to slide to closed position
Unlock to latch it closed.

Fridge fits. Works good. Don’t forget to check your clearance for having the fridge door open too

6C0BE9F0-4DB5-4DF4-AD66-FA1EDB690C69.jpeg

2F02DC64-3707-4EE8-8E83-8B338C1675FD.jpeg

Had broken a wire on my rear elocker while fitting the sub tank. Got around to soldering it back together. Added some split loom so hopefully won’t happen again.

3ADDBB18-15B6-4E0E-8381-E23C80840C98.jpeg

D0C4234A-6145-4619-82AB-1A29E76F02EE.jpeg

Fitted a screen less dash cam. Took me the usual long while, but no particular drama. Easy to route along top of windshield, then down to the tweeter, around the bottom of the airbag, and over to the side of dash. Then down to under the left front seat, where the amp has ground, switched and 12v.
4K camera with USB c .
Can’t see it at all from driving position, completely behind mirror
1C6847D2-4CC9-45CB-A421-BC6CCB5E0F0E.jpeg

6567C127-0AA1-42C8-9E04-08A38DA3F2FC.jpeg

36678524-E6BC-4BA8-9A16-8A85866007F6.jpeg

B92298BC-6F78-4FB3-8E1E-A834055EA39E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom