Builds The Guzzler - 2009 LX570 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hadn't driven my minivan in a bit and had a big cold snap last week. battery predictably dead. used the new supercap jumper (autowit v2). it's got a better interface than the last manufacturer's did. Very simple to run, nice loud warning when ready to crank after the 10 second countdown. Started the minivan v6 no problem. Charged it off the dead battery up to 65%, but got tired of waiting, and used my LFP portable battery to do the last bit.

Looks like I'll need a new minivan battery, it was below 25% capacity and is 7 years old, with several of those being basically no drive years during covid. have it on the charger now; I hope it has one more transfer station run in it.

Been working on upgrading the subwoofer amp. Previous amp was a 4ch running a dvc sub with one coil per 2 ch. pretty suboptimal, set for 200w, which was sub rms. Picked up an old jbl 500 from an internet pawnshop. Even running my sub serial I’ll have around 300w rms, and more if I move to parallel. I don’t really have the cabling back there for the parallel demand anyhow.

Not much to see, used all the same wiring that was already pictured earlier in the thread.

Moved the jack into the drawer as the sub amp was blocking it. Drilled out the plastic rivets on the door to pop the rear cubby off.

Gain set by oscilloscope, but I can reach it in the install so can adjust easily.

Hope to get to using my new phone based $35 RTA to set a great in car curve. Here’s where it was at before swapping the amp.

A7AFDB89-55CC-4AA5-8677-3A87DCF97263.jpeg

DDBBFE7A-8827-4851-A313-C91D49A4DC09.jpeg

F3ECA715-3D58-45D8-8FB2-7AC25738E829.jpeg

748FED0E-C4DF-484E-BA0F-C82036D1D6D0.jpeg

38759649-C377-479D-877A-E1EB65048ED0.png

7AE396F0-3D26-459F-8AE0-F9402655750A.jpeg

Wasn’t raining today, so got some stuff done after gymnastics.

Changed the spring rubbers in back from shortened blue to full length red. Drop me a pm I’d you want the blue ones, cut to size for the front shocks. You pay the ride.

Put a Monoprice Bluetooth receiver with an optical out and all the newer codecs under the driver seat and into my dsp. The Alpine Bluetooth adapter was a bit flakey, giving this one a shot instead. Should have a similar tasty full digital path for phone based music. Short listening session was positive.

Tried the extended rear bumpstops I got on Black Friday, the holes didn’t line up, about 1/2” too short on the spacing. Have opened conversation with the vendor.

Also found the two rear bolts on the engine skid almost completely out, literally dangling by a thread. Put them back in.

A2B8EE65-BD61-4A4F-BE4F-2AB3E0DA728B.jpeg

The Monoprice Bluetooth receiver wasn’t great. Very shallow soundstage and muddy bass. Am going to try an airplay receiver, which can be set up lossless on alac.

I hope it isn’t the dsp optical in that is causing the issues. The airplay receiver only has optical option.

Guess I’ll find out soon.

The Monoprice Bluetooth receiver wasn’t great. Very shallow soundstage and muddy bass. Am going to try an airplay receiver, which can be set up lossless on alac.

I hope it isn’t the dsp optical in that is causing the issues. The airplay receiver only has optical option.

Guess I’ll find out soon.
Isn't Airplay a Wifi tech? I guess it doesn't matter if it works. Probably has better range, not that I imagine that is a big factor.

Isn't Airplay a Wifi tech? I guess it doesn't matter if it works. Probably has better range, not that I imagine that is a big factor.

AirPlay is wifi + Bluetooth. I have one of these in my garage, totally usb powered and headless

Belkin SoundForm Connect AirPlay ... Amazon product ASIN B094LGLJB9
For vehicle use you would just tether to your phone and they’d be on same network.

AirPlay is wifi + Bluetooth. I have one of these in my garage, totally usb powered and headless

Belkin SoundForm Connect AirPlay ... Amazon product ASIN B094LGLJB9
For vehicle use you would just tether to your phone and they’d be on same network.
I'm trying this one Amazon product ASIN B09HC5GRKY aside from a Roku (which requires a video screen to setup), it'll be my only Airplay2 device, so should be fun to experiment with. Some claims in the comments that it has bit perfect out on the optical; if that proves to be true for ALAC should be a nice clean signal.

No joy on the hotspot setup for the Wiim, so not airplay2 in the car. It requires the app to be connected first, and there isn’t an edit panel on the network string after it’s set up to try to override to the hotspot settings.

The alac lossless via optical does sound amazing, too bad it’s not portable. The Bluetooth connection over aac seems rock solid, and I can’t hear any difference vs the alpine connection, so I’m going to roll with that and move to the permanent install in place of the Monoprice receiver.

Part of the Wiim package is the app, which is pretty good. I haven’t had a modern streamer yet, it’s a pretty cool piece of kit.

Edit add the specs look at that Bluetooth to spidf section!

59511D3A-7F7A-4268-81D1-8790FF934849.png

Last edited:
Finished the install on the Wiim. Hardwired a usb jack under the seat to power it. Using the optical out into the alpine dsp. It sounds the same as the connection flakey Alpine Bluetooth dongle to me, which is to say, very good. Ended up hanging it by the connectors with a piece of velcro hook stuck to the back to grab the carpet. Right next to my light control six gang on the transmission tunnel. It might have fit under the seat on the frame, but the thing is round and doesn’t zip tie super well. I think I have some self stick magnets around, when I find those I may stick it to the seat frame.

Picked up some $5 m12 stainless button heads to resolve black oxide bolts rusting in my fairlead.

Still good clarity on the Wiim streamer. No dropouts yet. It appears to be a keeper.

E2E9AC49-83DF-46A6-97EC-4CC29D0388AF.jpeg

Got around to replacing the rusted black oxide fairlead bolts with stainless versions.
Took those about 8 months to rust.

B9F8F953-D869-4DC3-ABA7-3936C51FBC6D.jpeg

Updated 200 specific rear bumps are in the house.
Has been pleasant working with Perry Parts to get the design updated for our frame.

It’s raining though, so test fit won’t be today.

3” uncompressed.

62DB650F-A6C1-46FB-8126-3726A9ADFA17.jpeg

089B24DC-DBBE-4D72-A2B3-0650E605BF2C.jpeg

Rear bumps v2 installed. The new format Perry parts cooked up for the 200 fits good.
2 1/4” to axle from the bottom of bump. In N mode if it matters.

Put one front bump on. It may be a bit tall/long. Q in to the bump master to find out.

0A9C53BD-D101-4C22-A5C8-0DB81545C787.jpeg

13E43A91-B7EE-4F0C-AE15-AC184E8D5E65.jpeg

9E851197-4D05-4C26-B28B-B49584570FD1.jpeg

17C2DD21-74F9-457A-A72B-A4A1AEC2DA04.jpeg

Somewhere I picked up a bunch of weld seam and surface rust. Annoying.

Somewhere I picked up a bunch of weld seam and surface rust. Annoying.

Dont worry, the sloppy welds rust if you look at them wrong.

Front bump pair on.
Rear of front lca location.
Normal mode

F4892FDD-744C-4DB8-BBF1-A13DCB74935B.jpeg

99239DFB-DE86-4646-884C-206B7D6EF0E4.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom