The Geneveive Project - R151f for HZJ79 Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, long time reader and first time post-er. Love the site and I have a project I think I could contribute with but I'll need some help first.

I've been searching the internet avidly for the past few months trying to figure out the most efficient way to swap my 2UZ into my FJ60, and I think I found a possible route through the 70 series hardware. I ran into a lot of problems with driveshaft angle and transfer case adaptions, so I had a question that I can't seem to answer through the search or other research that I thought the community could help with:

1) Does the input shaft and transmission side bellhousing bolt pattern for the 95+ US market R151f/150f match the HZJ79 R151f?

2) I know in some applications the HZJ R151f used a split case behind it. Is this split case to transmission attachment geometrically the same with a similar input shaft to the 1987 split case found in a US market FJ60 behind the H42f?

Essentially I'm trying to use a 95+ US market R150f (7.5 in input shaft) adapter between the 2UZ and the HZJ R151f, and then use the split case from my FJ60 in order to cut down on part cost and honestly even make the swap reasonably possible.

Also, if you have any good names for this franken cruiser let me know (The 60s name is Geneveive but I've been considering simple things like 160 / 230 / 176 series, but I'm definitely open to some creative input haha).

Cheers

1) Yes, the pattern on the front of the transmission case is consistent throughout, and the input shaft is the same as well.

2) The orientation of the transfer case should be about the same. I don't know how the H42/split case input shaft works, with the R151f there is a splined output shaft on the transmission and a splined input shaft on the transfer case, and an internally splined coupler mates the two. From the parts diagrams it looks like the main shaft of the H42 has the transfer case input spline built in? You may need a new R151f/transfer case shaft and couplerdifferent shaft coupler if you want to use a 60-series transfer case. It would probably be best to just get a complete transmission/transfer case from an HZJ79.

I did a mashup build of several R-series transmissions for my TDI swap, and once you start purchasing internal parts the cost adds up quick, I would have been much better off to just get the whole unit out of a newer 70-series.

1) Yes, the pattern on the front of the transmission case is consistent throughout, and the input shaft is the same as well.

2) The orientation of the transfer case should be about the same. I don't know how the H42/split case input shaft works, with the R151f there is a splined output shaft on the transmission and a splined input shaft on the transfer case, and an internally splined coupler mates the two. From the parts diagrams it looks like the main shaft of the H42 has the transfer case input spline built in? You may need a new R151f/transfer case shaft and couplerdifferent shaft coupler if you want to use a 60-series transfer case. It would probably be best to just get a complete transmission/transfer case from an HZJ79.

I did a mashup build of several R-series transmissions for my TDI swap, and once you start purchasing internal parts the cost adds up quick, I would have been much better off to just get the whole unit out of a newer 70-series.

Wow, great news. I appreciate the response and words of wisdom AirHeadNut. Did you know as well if the internals are the same between the US domestic and HZJ trans (from your build thread, it looks like you got pretty up close and personal with these things)? It seems almost too good to be true if all these parts match, but I'm definitely not complaining if they fix my problem haha.

Checked out some of your build thread as well for the TDI swap. Looked like a big job, but that extra fuel mileage must be a dream. Great work and best of luck with the repairs! Also like the egg cartons to hold parts; I'll add that to my container list along with washed out vegetable cans and cheese containers!

As far as I can tell parts from an HZJ transmission should swap to a '95+ US trans, with the exception of individual gears since 1st and 2nd ratios are lower in the R151. One other thing I forgot to point out before, if you're planning on using a US spec transmission you will need the later 70-series transfer case adapter and associated shift linkages. The parts are available new, but cost wise you'd be much better finding a complete R151f from a newer 70-series. If you want the higher R150f gear ratios the main and counter shafts should be a direct swap into a '95+ case.

I certainly hope the fuel mileage will be a dream! I was only able to put about 250km on it before I had to leave for school, so I don't have any real numbers yet. Hoping to have it finished up and on the road over winter break.

Have you thought about just using the correct transmission out of a manual trans 100 series with the 2UZ?

That would make all of this discus moot and would probably be cheaper in the long run.

As far as I can tell parts from an HZJ transmission should swap to a '95+ US trans, with the exception of individual gears since 1st and 2nd ratios are lower in the R151. One other thing I forgot to point out before, if you're planning on using a US spec transmission you will need the later 70-series transfer case adapter and associated shift linkages. The parts are available new, but cost wise you'd be much better finding a complete R151f from a newer 70-series. If you want the higher R150f gear ratios the main and counter shafts should be a direct swap into a '95+ case.

I certainly hope the fuel mileage will be a dream! I was only able to put about 250km on it before I had to leave for school, so I don't have any real numbers yet. Hoping to have it finished up and on the road over winter break.

Do you have a good resource for finding these (and possibly other non-US domestic) parts new? I've tried searching for specific parts but I'm having trouble finding a good importer or I guess seller in general.

Have you thought about just using the correct transmission out of a manual trans 100 series with the 2UZ?

That would make all of this discus moot and would probably be cheaper in the long run.

Hey Onur,

Thanks for the thought. I haven't thought about doing that transmission (mainly because I don't know where I'd find it). Similar to my question to AirHeadNut, but do you have a good reliable resource for import parts, including whole transmission assemblies or would I just need to search the "import" side of the forum to see if I can find a seller? I was searching it the other day but mainly found random parts here and there along with whole trucks, so I felt it was very difficult to find specific parts, which isn't as big of a concern now but if something breaks in the future I don't want to have to leave my only good vehicle out of commission for a month or two while I'm nailing down a specific imported part.

Also for some background I was primarily thinking the HZJ79 R151f just because I found one available at CruiserParts.net, and now based on what AirHeadNut has said it also seems like a good trans to have just because we have "readily available" spare parts in the US. Thinking about it now, and correct me if I'm wrong, I'd have to run the electronically locking (full time 4x4) center diff behind the 100 series manual trans right (to save from adapter plates)? I was reading another thread about a guy who had that and locking hubs and he had to choose one or the other to stay locked permanently to even drive normally. From my current knowledge if I stuck with the FJ60 tcase I wouldn't have to worry about that.

The places I normally buy are www.partsouq.com and www.megazip.net

I also like using www.toyodiy.com to cross reference parts to figure out what models they came on. However, what @Onur said is absolutely true, if you can find a H151f from a manual V8 100 series that would be your best option.

I'll check those links out, thanks a bunch!

And I'll look into the H151f as well. I just have that concern with part availability and the tcase choice and full time 4x4. Gotta do more research to see if those concerns aren't as big as I think they are.

Parts availability shouldn't be a big issue as long as you're not planning on wheeling it hard and blowing up the transmission. Partsouq ships very quickly, I normally have parts arrive within about 4 days. With the R151f from a 79-series you will only have the part time split case as an option, with the H151f you will get the full time transfer case with center diff. If you wanted to retain part time 4wd in your 60 you can get a kit that converts the transfer to part time. Some 80-series also came with part time 4wd and the H151f or H150f, so it might be possible to find one of those transmissions and use a 2UZ bellhousing.

This may be a stupid question, but does the H151f with the stock 2UZ bell-housing really just bolt up to the US domestic 2UZ? I was looking at the parts diagrams from the link you shared, which, to be fair, may not be that accurate just looking at the pictures, but the bell-housing engine side bolt pattern for the two transmissions (A343f v H151f) definitely look significantly different:

1600030931830.png

1600030955948.png

Nevermind on the last post, I alleviated my doubts by feeling around underneath my truck. I think they just have the wrong diagram for the year because the >2002 vehicle diagrams have the correct bell housing as well.

I appreciate all of your help. I found a decent lead on an 80 series H151f with a tcase, so I'm going to go that route to save on any adaptability headaches. I'll post a link to the build thread once I get started.

Cheers

The block is always the most universal part of any engine family at Toyota.

They make it malleable for a reason with their standardization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom