The front of my 40 is higher than the back after putting on new Billstein shocks. How can i fix this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I upgraded the old and tired stock shocks to Bilstein 5125 all around. Now the front is way higher. How can I level the rig?

20201005_103228.jpg

20201005_103212.jpg

Shocks don't typically change the height of the vehicle. Are you sure it wasn't already sitting like that?

The 5125 IS a gas-filled shock, but I find interesting that the front was affected like that. This may be a silly question, but did you put the rears in front???

Put a winch on the front to correct the problem. ;)

Rear extended difference vs. front is about 4" . Collapsed difference is about 2".

Shocks won’t lift the suspension, gas or not, no difference. If the front end is higher, it’s because you may have get some movement to your (stucked) leafs. Drive around and you’ll be there than before.

Did you jack up the vehicle to change them out. Just thinking maybe you had the frame sitting on jack stands and the leaf springs were decompressed for a while and just haven't settled back down yet.

Shocks won’t lift the suspension, gas or not, no difference. If the front end is higher, it’s because you may have get some movement to your (stucked) leafs. Drive around and you’ll be there than before.

Do you think a rear leaf spring with 2.25 lift would balance it out. Front is 2 inches higher exactly

Last edited:

I changed them months ago. I've out maybe 5 miles on the truck since then.

The 5125's come in 2 different pressure ranges. Did you verify that you got 4 of the same ? If so the higher pressure one could cause the condition you have because the fronts are straight up and down where as the rears are tilted which would give the force of the shock much less power to lift hence the front is higher.
If you don't think the 5125's will raise the front some degree, buy some of the 270lb ones and cut the strap, 2 of those on the front of a 40 would have some effect.

The 5125's come in 2 different pressure ranges. Did you verify that you got 4 of the same ? If so the higher pressure one could cause the condition you have because the fronts are straight up and down where as the rears are tilted which would give the force of the shock much less power to lift hence the front is higher.
If you don't think the 5125's will raise the front some degree, buy some of the 270lb ones and cut the strap, 2 of those on the front of a 40 would have some effect.

Would leaf springs that lift 2.25 Inches balance it out?

Would leaf springs that lift 2.25 Inches balance it out?
Find out what went wrong before heading down an expensive rabbit hole.

Exactly, the 5125 comes in different lengths. Perhaps there is a mistake there.

@Javadca20 ... I've been trying to figure out which ones to order for my truck with an Old Man Emu lift for a while now. After reading through the various threads, I'm still not 100% sure which ones to order.

Here's what I'm using regarding length:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom