How do you get grease into this knuckle. This is on the back side of the drum brakes. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a fitting that screws into this that will accept a zirk fitting?
Resized_20230707_114050_14120223506383.jpeg.jpg

Stick your grease gun in there and start squeezing. You could also drill the plug for a zerk fitting, that's the slick way to go.

If you want the ultimate in class, buy 3/8-19 zerk fittings and swap in.

Last edited:
Stick your grease gun in there and start squeezing. You could also drill the plug for a zerk fitting, that's the slick way to go.

If you want the ultimate in class, buy 3/8-19 zerk fittings and swap in.

Fantastic, thank you very much for your time. I am assuming that 3/8-19 is the correct thread pattern? You are much appreciated.

It's probably best to see what your doing. Too much grease can blow seals or force grease out thru the spindle.

Fantastic, thank you very much for your time. I am assuming that 3/8-19 is the correct thread pattern? You are much appreciated.
Really!? A Japanese truck uses imperial thread?
Is it not M10?

Toyota uses a fair amount of strange and different threads from around the world, especially British.
Really? I didn't find any yet except for the DOT enforced seatbelt bolts and the odd pipe thread.
Reason i ask is that 3/8 19 is about 9.5mm x 1.3. Very close to M10 x 1.25 (but not) and this is a very standard metric thread, so why would they choose imperial for this?

Really? I didn't find any yet except for the DOT enforced seatbelt bolts and the odd pipe thread.
Reason i ask is that 3/8 19 is about 9.5mm x 1.3. Very close to M10 x 1.25 (but not) and this is a very standard metric thread, so why would they choose imperial for this?
Toyota itself doesn’t use weird sizing. Japanese Industrial Standards (JIS) is what drives the standard for manufacturing. Once you learn the JIS standards you’ll see why Toyota and any other Japanese manufacturers have these threads.

Long story short, for Toyotas (at least Japanese manufactured) the tapered pipe thread is British standard.

Sure, but this isn't a pipe is it?

But it is by being a hydraulic container.

It doesn't matter what they are, just that they are. Drill them out and tap them whatever you think they should be.

Sure, but this isn't a pipe is it?
The plug that is removed is a pipe plug so they use a pipe thread to seal. The plug is also large enough that you can do a visual inspection to see how much grease is in the knuckle.

The plugs have worked fine for several decades that Toyota has made this type of knuckle. I would rather have a plug then a grease fitting because you don't have to refill it very often when you do fill it is when you have done maintenance and the hub and spindle are removed and is packed from the outside around the Birfield CV. I added grease to mine once in the 40 plus years I have owned mine. When I did I didn't know what I was doing or how much was supposed to be in there. I have repacked the wheel bearings twice and there was always plenty of grease in the knuckle. When I removed the front hubs to pull the Birfields at over 100K miles the knuckles still had enough grease in them. If it is leaking that bad then you should rebuild the knuckle anyway. I would not want to have a grease fitting get sheared of out off road.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom