The Fishing Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few more...

FloydTrout4.jpg

FloydTrout5.jpg

FloydTrout6.jpg

FloydTrout7.jpg

FloydTurkey1.jpg

Any recommendations for an ocean fishing charter? FIL and SIL are looking for a day charter at some point in the next few weeks

$2000 a day! Impressive catch list, but that's more than I expected. No frame of reference though.

Yeah. Well there’s a 20% first mates tip and the cost of cutting the fish too. 5 guys figure $600 a piece all in with a hotel and such.

They charge for filleting the fish? Fillets are part of the package in the Keys. Most boats also have arrangements with either local fish markets or restaurants to sell off fish that the client does not want. The rest goes in the drink, Tarpon follow the boats in and hang out in the harbor a while just for what ends up in the drink. Sad part is, this leads to the lazy fishing for Tarpon in the harbor and generally being a problem for navigation.

When I lived in the Keys a buddy of mine was a charter captain and he made pretty good money just on the fish he sold. Do tip the first mate and deck hands as they are generally paid per trip and it is not much.

Summer update, went out last Thursday for a nearshore trip (about 30 miles off) to fish live bottom. We trolled for some Kings then looked for live bottom at around 90’ water. After not really seeing a good image we moved to artificial reef and it was on for the next few hours. Vermillion snapper, ring fish, 1 Cobia and something that spooled a whole reel of line and then broke off and this 6’ shark. All in a good day and first time on a Blackjack boat, what a ride!

3FF0F659-19CC-4D1D-BFD3-5CA3479FC2D9.jpeg

D2BA0AFB-11CA-4CEF-92DC-6DE4CB9CFECB.jpeg

20C4B58C-8CAC-4012-8777-54CC70F5AEA1.jpeg

22356A80-BB34-4FC7-B526-9DA4E18CF6DB.jpeg

92302282-5E94-4A6A-98C5-D83DD442F0A4.jpeg

Summer update, went out last Thursday for a nearshore trip (about 30 miles off) to fish live bottom. We trolled for some Kings then looked for live bottom at around 90’ water. After not really seeing a good image we moved to artificial reef and it was on for the next few hours. Vermillion snapper, ring fish, 1 Cobia and something that spooled a whole reel of line and then broke off and this 6’ shark. All in a good day and first time on a Blackjack boat, what a ride!

View attachment 2037831

View attachment 2037832

View attachment 2037833

View attachment 2037834

View attachment 2037835

Not sure if I'm more envious of the fishing or the boat. Those things are dope. Is it one of the carbon hulls?

Yes, that boat is actually the first carbon hull sold. Blackjack was started by the gentlemen in Arkansas who used to build Kenner boats. With the 350 and carbon hull she didn’t shy at 72 MPH in the waterway!!!

Thought I would start a thread for those that fish to post up pics and talk about fishing. Fishing is probably the one thing that I have consistently done for years and never burnt myself out on. Freshwater, saltwater, rivers or ponds it doesn't matter I would call it my one true passion. So let's see some pics, old or new it doesn't matter. Here's one from a couple of weeks ago from a river in Virginia I've been wade fishing a lot lately. 18" Brown Trout

View attachment 1226076
Nice one! I had an FJC for years, and now after 3 years trying to make a CR-V in to a backroads vehicle, I got big again (2000 LS). Here's a brownie from the New Fork in Wyoming. A Gulper.

Brown-Trout_NewFork.jpg

@southerncruiser62 @mtweller speaking of boats, have you all seen the Freeman boats? Check out the videos on Youtube. I guess 80 mph is the new 50 mph. https://www.freemanboatworks.com/

I have actually fished a 37 Freeman. Caught my first SC sail on one. By far the smoothest riding boat I’ve been on, including the sporties. I was skeptical in a following sea but it was very impressive and they practically float in air...

C615B66B-CE45-4A14-8AD7-DD30B84AB041.jpeg

B60C9F7C-6FFA-44DF-A66C-9D55968E1914.jpeg

52254D46-4789-4222-A9A7-0D5A94C61F44.jpeg

Last edited:
Any recommendations for an ocean fishing charter? FIL and SIL are looking for a day charter at some point in the next few weeks

Get up with Parker haha There are lots of decent charters out of Morehead City and the Wrightsville area

So I wouldn’t typically post this stuff but karma is a good thing. I was enjoying a quiet morning on the water while rest of family was out of town today. There are a few here that would remember a specific trip where we got towed back inshore for around 18 miles...well today was my time to pay that back. While not offshore I was in Intracoastal waterway enjoying a slow cruise when I saw a couple who needed help. Long story short and after a two hour tow back to landing they are safe and back on the trailer. Glad to be able to help someone else out and pass along the favor!

6F7E145B-1300-41BC-B992-F35DC632E61E.jpeg

A283B2B0-CB91-4818-A97C-8F87BC9A0993.jpeg

Good on ya! it feels good knowing you kept someone from being stuck for a while (or worse).

So I wouldn’t typically post this stuff but karma is a good thing. I was enjoying a quiet morning on the water while rest of family was out of town today. There are a few here that would remember a specific trip where we got towed back inshore for around 18 miles...well today was my time to pay that back. While not offshore I was in Intracoastal waterway enjoying a slow cruise when I saw a couple who needed help. Long story short and after a two hour tow back to landing they are safe and back on the trailer. Glad to be able to help someone else out and pass along the favor!

View attachment 2055495

View attachment 2055496

Yeah, I sorta remember that. Whoda' thought a SeaTow Zodiac could bring a 23' Mako on plane :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom