The Fishing Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally decided I am going to try out some fishing next year.

Grabbed Sevylor Fish Hunter raft and motor for dirt cheap on offer up.

Gotta get a mount and all the other gear before Salmon season in the sound next year.

Nice.

On another sorta related note, yesterday I put the new kayak holder up.

Although if it keeps on raining I might need it.
1EE2EDAC-6262-41AA-9C86-707513B67851.jpeg

NICE! I used to fish LOL

I hear Hyco is pretty nice might try to paddle around there once we get a few more warm days.

I’m down to go during the week next week if someone wants to go on a little cruiser canoe/kayak or jus bank fishing trip

I want to go to fort fisher with my boys and fish.

The problem is I know nothing about fishing. Nothing at all.
Any pointers? I am going to do some research online and maybe watch a few YouTube videos.

I know I can go fish at a lake near me but I really want to go to the beach and while I am at it I figure my boys and I could learn to fish off the beach.

Any pointers? I am going to do some research online and maybe watch a few YouTube videos.

I know I can go fish at a lake near me but I really want to go to the beach and while I am at it I figure my boys and I could learn to fish off the beach.

@SFROMAN been surf fishing since I was 10. I know just enough to be dangerous. It is fun. We can discuss anytime and I can bring some gear over for surf fishing training at your house and bring gear and tackle box.

And hopefully go with you all sometime. ;<)

Gear list:
cooler for beer and food
separate old azz cooler for nasty cut bait - ice
Salt - the big can
bait - whole mullets, scale them, filet them, add (sprinkle) salt to make it tough so it will stay on the hook, cut 1 inch by 3 inch pieces to put on the hook - this is where you need some training - ;<)
cutting board
rags to wipe your hands after handling nasty azz bait
sharp knife
rigs - blue rigs, drum rigs, bottom rigs - cabelas, fishing stores at the beach
hooks - lots of hooks as these get lost quite a bit
weights - use different weights depending on rigs, current and wind
rods - 10 ft - ugly stick is good - can find on craigs for good prices
reels - penn gold - find on craigs for good prices - I don't remember the sizes - i have one large and 1 medium and put at 2 at the time
line weight - based on size of reel and rod
rod holder to push into the sand
beach chair - to sit and wait and wait and wait and wait
sunscreen
tides/sun rise/sun set/holes - i usually go with a group that studies all this. like most fishing early and late are best and tide change

Will add more later. Surf Fishing is my favorite. Never been to Carolina Beach, usually go to Hatteras.

fish and tires 003.jpg

sf 3.JPG

Last pic with the Olde North State Land Cruiser club many years ago and made some magazine (previous 2000 LC).

onsc fish n.JPG

Last edited:

Agree with above, but my take is a little simpler as I only surf fish once or twice a year and only for fun. Go to Walmart at the beach and get a fishing license and a couple of cheapo medium to heavyweight spinner rods. Don't spend a lot. $40 each should do it. If you drop a $40 rod/reel combo in the water and forget to wash/oil it afterwards, no worries, just throw it away. Get a couple of PVC rod holders. You'll need a few hooks, twin hook (hi/lo) surf leaders and 2.5 oz weights. Get some shrimp or bloodworms for bait. You can get everything you need in one morning trip to Walmart and be out catching fish all day long. You'll catch all kinds of stuff, depending on the time of year. Specific rigs are better if you are trying to catch specific types of fish, but I've caught sharks, spots, whiting, reds, blues, croakers, skates, flounder, pompano and God knows what else on just a hi-low rig and shrimp. Save a couple of little fish you catch for cut bait when the shrimp runs out.

Last fall, I got Nathan a cast net. He is a quick learner and before I knew it, he had caught enough minnows to keep us in bait. We only used a couple of shrimp for bait all weekend.

Last edited:
A 2" diameter PVC pipe cut flat (rod) at one end and angled at the (ground) end is my rod holder method. Just bring a rubber mallet to pound it in deeper than you think is necessary. I'll see if I still have some extras that I can bring to CRR for you.

I bought one of these Diawa rods a couple years ago. Pretty nice for a cheap rod. They even shipped it fully assembled (it breaks down into 2-pieces)!

An inexpensive reel purchased at a store that will put line on it for you is the way I'd go to complete the rig. The only real downside to Dave's Walmart method is that the cheap line on the cheap reel on the cheap rod might have been wound on a couple years ago. The memory in the line (coils) can be very frustrating, especially for a newbie. Most fishermen know how to install line properly so someone local here can probably help you if you need to do it yourself.

Learn a knot or two designed for fishing line. Please don't tie on tackle with a series of overhand knots! Look up Uni-knot and Improved Clinch knot - they're pretty easy to learn and work well.

I think I passed on all my extra saltwater junk to Nathan Roadstr6 last year but I'll search for more if I'm home before CRR.

Warning - fishing, especially from shore, can be boring for a kid if their attention span is short. Sometimes there just aren't any fish swimming by to bend the rod. Sometimes the crabs and small fish will strip your hook bare. You do need to pay attention to the rod and learn how to ignore the waves that will pull on the line and make you think something is hitting. BUT, it's always fun to wait for a bite and see what you reel in; the ocean is full of surprises.

Bring some old needle nose pliers (they'll get rusty quick) or spend a few bucks on some heavy duty stainless hemostats. Pull up a website on your phone ahead of time that shows and describes the various fish in your area. Learn to cast BEFORE getting to the beach. Use circle hooks if you can because the fish generally hook themselves due to the design.

All great advice. You can get really nice stuff off craigslist that will last a lifetime. And yes on the very boring very quickly for little people. We bring surf boards and boogie boards and bocci ball if the fish are not biting.

And for fort Fisher, a tide chart, and make sure you know what time you need to be off the beach.

It can get very tight at spots during high tide, with very soft sand.

You can also try pier fishing in the evenings for a change of pace. Also, there are places to fish on the sound side that may offer more action for the kids (albeit smaller fish)

Instead of the big box stores, support the local shops. The few bucks extra you spend stays in the community, and the knowledge you get from them is well worth it.

Hell yeah.
Thank you guys for all the awesome info. I’m going to try to get out to fort fisher tomorrow and hopefully it all goes well. Either way at least my boys and I will have fun trying.

Well it’s that time of year! Back in the blue water. We started out on a 100’ ledge yesterday and had first bite within 20 minutes and put three in within an hour. Then we headed for 600’ water and on way out found a nice patch of weeds at 240’ and we doubled down at first pass. They stayed hungry till about 2 when we headed back to ledge to high speed for a wahoo but never found em’

Good day all together!

A3280FAA-A1E7-42B9-8F6C-F4008CD87BA3.jpeg

E0627B70-9713-406A-B466-3E79923A67A9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom