The Farm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

3 loads of crusher run delivered today.

0729191837.jpg

For reference, all work has been done with the 1023e and that 4' bucket

Rebar will be delivered tomorrow. Talked to concrete guy and they plan to start forming on Thursday and hope to pour on Friday.

Last edited:
Fired up the old MF tonight and took my new friend for a ride to spread all those piles out.

0730191947.jpg

0730192011a.jpg

Then I used my trusty hydraulic bar bender to bend up the corner bars for the turn-down footing for the shop.

0730191959.jpg

Started with 50 #5 bars, bent 12 (3 for each corner). I'm gonna try and get a 14x4 +/- mat tied up to go in under where I plan to put the lift to reinforce that area.

0730192000.jpg

0730192010a.jpg

I need to go get a load of brick from the weeds behind the barn for them to use for chairs to keep the bars off the ground.

Erin came out and said "you know we are paying someone to do that" I reply'd "yes, but for some reason my way always seems to cost more, so I'm trying to make it easy for them to keep my costs down."

I know it is straight overkill, but it will be on rock, have a 12"x18" turn down with 3- #5 bars continuous around the perimeter and will be 4,000 psi concrete with fiber. Don't plan to have to fool with it again.

Matthew,
Have you planned out where you will be putting your lift (or lifts)? If so, will you save yourself some $s by digging deeper footings before your concrete crew arrives? [I did not notice any footing for the lift in the photo]

Beyond specifying the psi of the concrete, will you add fiber to the mix too? You have rebar, but the fiber seemed cheap when we poured concrete at the house a few years back.

Keep the status and pictures coming.

@LDowney I have to nail down where I want the lift. The concrete guy will be doing the final firework and site prep. I just got them a good relatively flat and uniform starting point. The rock is shallow out here, so the stripped picture was down to the rock, I spread those loads of crusher run out to even things up. I have 3 loads of 3/4" stone being delivered today that they will use to get the final grading before the slab.

Rebar will go in the turn-down that the perimeter walls will sit on and I plan to tie a mat up that will reinforce an 8" slab section that will be where the lift will go. The shop will have 3 doors, 2 10x10 on the front and a 12x12 on the end. Thinking the lift will be placed about midway along the back wall so I could still get in all 3 doors even if I have something living on the lift for a period.

The rest of the slab will have fiber in it for additional reinforcement.

My conversations with contractors are often interesting because, while I may not install it everyday, I do deal with it pretty much everyday and often know just as much as they do. I dont just smile and nod, I usually ask queations that make them go "uh" and then tell them how I'd like to see it done (I.e. why my way usually costs more)

And I will keep the pictures and updates coming.

Short update tonight.

3 loads of 3/4" delivered today.

Erin and I dug in a 4" drain pupe across the end of the garage in preparation for the other slab they are going to be pouring. We didnt have any concrete poured on the end of the garage, so while they are here to do the shop slab, they are also going to pour a 25x30 on the end of the garage.

They should be here around 7 in the morning to start forming. I'll update with pics tomorrow evening.

Well, they didnt show up til around 830 this morning, but put in a solid day.

They had a minor issue because when they looked at it, it was grass on grade. I told the guy I stripped it to rock, but he must not have put it together in his head. They were all sideways because they couldnt drive their stakes in the rock. And he is worried about one end being lower than thw other. We ended up ordering 3 more loads of stone for them to use.

I still don't think he is super happy about the extra work, but he seems like a good guy, so we will see how it goes. They are supposed to be back at 6 in the morning and have concrete scheduled for 9 for the shop and then he said they'd do the apron in front of the garage. All goes back to my "my way usually costs more" statement.

I got my mat tied up for under the lift this evening when I got home.

0801191956~2.jpg

Here is the pad as it sits

0801191957_HDR.jpg

And the extra stone piled up. Whatever doesn't go in the shop slab will be used in the driveway and then as backfill around the slab with some perf pipe to help make sure we dont have any drainage issues.

0801191957.jpg

Tomorrow I should have 2 slabs to show off. And I'm going to sit back and relax a little this weekend since I've been working my A offthe last few weeks prepping.

How bout I come over and get that Sammy out of the way. I have a nice warm garage for it to live in. :)

How bout I come over and get that Sammy out of the way. I have a nice warm garage for it to live in. :)

You know, I was pretty set on keeping it, but you might be wearing me down because I'll be honest, it might be time for it to be re-homed. It is Erin's, so let me run it by her and I will let you know, that is if you are interested.

Guys rolled in at 6 this morning and finished up the form work on the main slab and started on the garage slab while they waited.

Erin sent me this one just after they started.

52887.jpeg

And when I got home I grabbed these 2.

Shop slab, 40x60 slick finished.
0802191806a.jpg

Garage apron, 25x30 light broom.
0802191806.jpg

I got a couple rolls of plastic to cover them tomorrow. I wet the big slab down when I got home and hit them both good. I want to keep them damp and covered probably thru Sunday evening to make sure I get a good slow cure.

I'll grab a couple more tomorrow.

One from this morning before I got the plastic down.

0803190813.jpg

Doesn't look like much has been going on, but I did talk to the guy who is going to build the shop and the building package is scheduled for delivery on August 30th and he said that it should be all done by mid-September.

It has been so dang hot outside that its been hard to get much done. That and the rains have come just right to keep the ground just wet enough to keep from being able to move much around.

Got the drive slab about 2/3rds done, still have to finish grading along rhe front side where it was high, but got some dirt in there this weekend to get a start on it.

Got some 4" perf pipe along rhe front side of the shop slab and started grading it down up front. Got a good bit of dirt to move around, so will probably rent a skid steer for the weekend to do some grading and dirt moving with. The little John has worked his A off the last few weeks, but I think its just time for a little more umph.

I'll grab a few pics in the morning.

Pictures

Shop slab

0820191838.jpg

Garage slab, looking toward the new shop

0820191840.jpg

Spent the afternoon cleaning up all the piles around the outside. Still have some grade work to do around the north end, but should be ready for them to start once the package is delivered.

0824191935.jpg

Shop Package Delivered today, now we wait on the guys to come and put it all together.

Shop Delivery.jpg

Did you order something pre-designed or how did that work?

Well, I first stopped by one of the local metal building places and sat down with one of their sales guys and told them what we wanted and they came up with this.

0628192333~2.jpg

We then had a guy come out and actually look at it, I gave him one of the drawings and he called the company he works with and got us another quote. His price was installed. After we gave him the nod, he released them to put the package together.

They have some fancy software that will basically lay out the building and give them a full material breakdown and all the dimensions, then they cut and run the metal, have the trusses fabb'd and put everything on a big truck and bring it out.

The other Barn that Erin and I did came with detailed instructions with all the dimensions. Goes together kind of like a big lego set. Pretty amazing when you stop and think about it.

Now somebody just has to come and start putting everything together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom