The Farm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Started the shop today. The supplier didnt send enough of the truss carriers, so they stopped here. Like apparently shorted them several.

0913191821_HDR.jpg

0913191822_HDR.jpg

And in case anyone wondered what a 14' Eve looks like.

56373.jpeg

They will be back sometime next week to hit it again. He is kind of working us in amongst his other barns and we arent in a big hurry, so all good for now.

I think Roger got his at CarQuest years ago. Maybe about $2300 brand new if I recall that conversation. Roger, Andy, my wife and I put it in. There may have been someone else..... It was not too hard but to get the stanchions up we used a forklift.

Progress. Since they left all their stuff, I'm guessing they'll be back either tomorrow or Monday to get at it again.

They knocked out all the trusses and got pretty much the whole roof lathed, trimmed in and ready for metal.

In no particular order

0920191817.jpg

0920191818_HDR.jpg

0920191819_HDR.jpg

56936.jpeg

0920191814_HDR.jpg

These boys got after it today. I'm pleased thus far.

They were back at it today. Finished trimming out the roof, built the porch and got all the wall girts on and the overhead doors framed.

0923191841.jpg

0923191841_HDR.jpg

0923191841a_HDR.jpg

Still need to set the posts out back, frame the lean-to and frame in the windows and doors and then I think it will be ready for metal. Thinking maybe 3 more days and they'll be done. Then I will have to call the MTEMC and see about getting a pole set and call an electrician to see about having a meter base and panel set.

telephone/power poles are cheap...I'm told :)

telephone/power poles are cheap...I'm told :)

MTEMC will set the pole for a new transformer and service for the shop for free. I'll have to dig the trench and have an electrician set the meter base and all before they will set the meter. I'm going to have a separate 200A service set for the shop.

That's why I made sure to pull a permit, didn't need it for the building, but have to have the building permit in order to get the electricity hooked up.

guys around me have said they were charged north of a 1K for one power pole install, that was just to dig the hole and set it. Guess our friends in the power biz here are making some $$.

Interesting. MTEMC wont touch a private pole. They set all their own. Anything over 300' you have to pay for. Our main line is aroind a quarter mile, so we paid for that, but since this is now an established line, they said that thw 300' rule was back in play. I will need 1 pole set before I can drop and go underground over to thw building. I'll have to get the ditch to the proper depth and use the required conduit to the building, but they will set tje pole and mount the transformer for me for free, we'll its included in the new service setup.

$1k for a single pole seems crazy to me, but I'm cheap, so...

do we have a building with exterior walls now?

do we have a building with exterior walls now?

Not yet. Unfortunately they did not follow their pattern and no work was done last weekend, but I was told they'd be here on Friday to get after it on both Friday and Saturday, so hopefully before the rain rolls in on Sunday (fingers crossed we actually get some) I will have a place to put the 40 and 55 out of the weather.

Well they worked pretty much all day and the whole roof has bubble insulation on it along with the south end. Posts are set for lean-to. Windows are in and doors are framed in.

Would have been farther along, but the supplier shafted them again. Erin said they had to go to town to get more 6x6 posts cause they shorted him. They didnt send enough metal to finish the roof and lean-to, they sent the wrong people doors and had they not called about a window sash, I would have gotten the wrong garage doors (even though I called multiple times and left specific instructions more than once)

I'm gonna hold off on final judgement, but I'm not real impressed considering I ordered a kit off the internet that was more complete than this locally sourced package...

Sun gets low much earlier, so I'll grab a picture in the morning.

Sidebar, I go down toward South Pittsburg pretty regularly and today Erin asked me to get a couple small skillets for my MIL and they are having their warehouse sale this weekend... I came home with several pounds of un-needed cast today.

1004191917.jpg

Pictures of yesterday's progress

1005191815_HDR.jpg

1005191815a_HDR.jpg

With the rain coming, I decided to put a couple under the roof. Also gives some scale to it.

1006191307.jpg

1006191308.jpg

1006191308a.jpg

1006191309.jpg

Well, I'm getting a little frustrated as we havent had any progress at all in almost 2 weeks. They were supposed to work this past Friday, but nobody showed. I'm told they will be here this Friday, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm pretty sure 2 good days would get it wrapped up. If they dont get here on Friday, I'm going to start putting metal on and send him a bill...

Well hot damn, they actually showed up today and got something done. Roof is covered and just needs trimming and the ridge cap. The south wall is covered, but still needs a couple runs of screws to be done. They got most of the front and back covered in insulation and ready for metal and got the lean-to done. Hopefully tomorrow they will get the rest of the walls on and maybe we'll be just waiting for garage doors.

Not holding my breath for that, but a man can hope.

20191018_172237.jpg

20191018_172443.jpg

20191018_172413.jpg

We'll see if they show up tomorrow or not.

Nice! Good to see progress. When not doing it yourself, I can only imagine just how frustrating it is when there's no movement.

Well they showed up this morning, so they get points for that.

Well, not quite was I was hoping for but it is pretty well dry'd in.

And at this point I am going to say I cannot recommend Summertown Metals at all. They shorted him on metal so we will be waiting on a load of metal to be able to finish up the back. At this point the list is: They shorted him on truss carriers when they first started, sent the wrong people doors, shorted him pretty much all the framing material for the lean-to, sent a broken window sash and now shorted metal... needless to say I'm not impressed.

I'm also not real happy with the builder, we were told middle end of September, and at this point if it's done by November I'll be surprised.

Anyway, they did get things in pretty good shape, but they are calling for rain tomorrow so I guess we will see just how good tomorrow.

20191020_180528.jpg

20191020_180609.jpg

20191020_180658.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom