The Farm (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Chris.

So they came back today, yeah, today and worked from 7 till around 530. Gotta give him credit, he may be behind, but he brought it today.

They trimmed the ridge and got all the main roof trimmed out. Finished all the walls and got most of the eves trimmed in. So all they lack is the corners and finishing up the eves. I was pretty p'd yesterday cause the wind had blown loose the insulation in several places and some of the roof metal wasn't fully secure so it was blowing and clanking around, so no more of that. He probably has about a day left to finish up all the trim and be done with his part. I've got the guys scheduled to install the garage doors a week from Monday, and by then he should be done, so when the doors go in we should be ready to start moving in.

Already been using it and had 4 cars in it on friday when the rain rolled thru. It was dark when we got back today so didn't get a picture, but will tomorrow morning in my way out to work if the suns up enough.

As promised.

20191028_181544.jpg

20191028_181355.jpg

Yea...I'm a fan of getting it done....when you have to pay for the work. There is a local guy around me that puts up similar type buildings, both wood and metal frame stuff, he has a crew and crane and all the stuff. Hopefully one day I'll be able to do something around that size. Like everyone says...go as large as you can...because you'll find it full of stuff at some point.

Tomorrow the doors go in hopefully. Barn guy is done. I put him at good but not great. Other than his timing, a few minor things and he could be great.

20191103_153922.jpg

20191103_153907.jpg

20191103_145132.jpg

Now to get ahold of MTEMC and see about getting a pole set so I can get the lights on inside. And clean up around and inside so we can start setting up shop.

Last edited:
Doors went in today. Too dark when I got home to get a picture, yay daylight savings time. I'll grab one in the morning on the way out.

Also went and picked up a 3 piece leather living room set (couch, chair w/ottoman and recliner) for super cheap for the "sitting area" up front tonight after work. I just backed the trailer in tonight, maybe erin will grab a picture tomorrow.

Not super impressed with the doors. The doors on the barn and those on the garage are full metal skin, filled with foam. These look like they took a regular door, put a piece of foam board inside and then stuck a hard plastic backer on it. Maybe that is a good door, but to me they just feel cheap. The one I looked at a little today had 2 or 3 spots where they busted thru the hard plastic into the foam, so don't seem like a quality unit. I got to bitching at supper tonight and Erin said, it's done, they're done, we can move on with it. While I agree, I still feel kinda shorted. So my recommendation would be to talk to someone other than Summertown (if your in the middle TN area) if you want a package priced.

Anyway, now on to finishing out more, electricity, ceiling, insulation, framing... guess the real fun starts now, but at least it didn't take a year to finish.

I finally got a chance to see the shop in the daylight myself...

20191116_103535.jpg

I'm happy.

I got lots of cleanup to do around the outside and may have a little scrap fire tomorrow to keep warm while I clean up.

Burned some scraps today and when the sun started setting we had a little sit down around the fire. Nice to have a day to actually try and do something in the daylight.

20191117_164731.jpg

Currently running on borrowed power, but at least it isn't pitch black in here.

20191123_142946.jpg

If i may make one suggestion. I can only assume you are putting in garage door openers. If so I suggest getting the ones that mount at the end of the spring tension bar. Looking good, I know the feeling of "I can't wait until it's done" .

If i may make one suggestion. I can only assume you are putting in garage door openers. If so I suggest getting the ones that mount at the end of the spring tension bar. Looking good, I know the feeling of "I can't wait until it's done" .

Hadn't thought about that, but I have seen them and I will most definitely be looking at those. Thanks Rocky

@jynx what type of heating are you going to put in the new shop? Something I have put off far too long now. I can't make up my mind on wood or gas (LP), the choice would be easy if we had natural gas.

@jynx what type of heating are you going to put in the new shop? Something I have put off far too long now. I can't make up my mind on wood or gas (LP), the choice would be easy if we had natural gas.

Going with wood. My folks have an old wood stove, like the brown rectangle ones with the knob on the front, that they have been storing for me for a few years. I also have a co-worker who has offered to sell me a small buck that I plan to put in the seating area.

I hadn't really thought much about other options, but LP unit heaters wouldn't be a bad idea.

The place I am trying to by has natural gas but I am going to put one of those 55 gallon drum stoves in the woodworking bay.....if I ever get the place.

Somebody put me on those a couple years ago and if I didn't have the other one to go in it, I'd probably looking at one of those. I've seen several guys that have done the double barrel kit and ran open ended tubing they the upper barrel with a fan on one end to blow air thru it. Basically making an air-to-air heat exchanger. Pretty slick setup

So I havent gotten the electric sorted to the shop yet, but am tired of fumbling under my little work light. So today we put up 6 Harbor Freight LED lights. 5,000 lumens each.

It is amazing how much better it is to have actual lights.

20200111_162141.jpg

20200111_162451.jpg

And I found a little power strip to use as a light switch for the time being. At 0.5A each, I think it will be able to handle the 3A load just fine.

20200111_162155.jpg

You might be a redneck if... but I'm a redneck with lights now :hillbilly:

So I havent gotten the electric sorted to the shop yet, but am tired of fumbling under my little work light. So today we put up 6 Harbor Freight LED lights. 5,000 lumens each.

It is amazing how much better it is to have actual lights.

View attachment 2179597

View attachment 2179596

And I found a little power strip to use as a light switch for the time being. At 0.5A each, I think it will be able to handle the 3A load just fine.

View attachment 2179598

You might be a redneck if... but I'm a redneck with lights now :hillbilly:
I have no problem with that. :lol:

I'll start by saying it is very likely that I will not be able to move in the morning.

Friends mom has been in PT for surgery on her ankle. We built an "emergency" ramp on Christmas eve when she came home for Christmas break. She is back in, but is slated to be released next week. I thought I had another weekend, but not so much, so I spent the day working on a ramp for her when she gets out. Will have to build the connector to the house on-site, but got the main landing and ramp section built in the shop today whilst it was pouring rain outside. Just add a pile of sawdust to the list of things that will need to be cleaned up.

I still need to deck it and put the rails on, but those will be done on-site also.

I measured her house and mapped it on the floor so I could make sure it was built to sit just so.

20200118_101737.jpg

20200118_121119.jpg

Framed and blocked everything. Erin kept saying they won't be using it that much, but I was like, if it was your mom.... so yeah, it is over built, but that is the only way i know. It is also designed to sit on her sidewalk so no posts have to be dug, that is why it looks way beefy. Plus the sidewalk is already pretty narrow, didn't need to take up valuable real estate by cutting down another 7 inches.

20200118_164536.jpg

20200118_164553.jpg

I plan to finish the main ramp section so all i have to do at her house is assemble it, connect it to the house and deck it.

Tub soak and advil are in my future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom