The Farm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Tony, it was good to see you too. Hopefully we will have the 40 at GSMTR and will get to wheel a little with you guys some.

As far as the barn, that might warrant a phone call. Lots of thoughts I can share. I think I have your number, I will give you a buzz tomorrow afternoon if that's ok to chat.

That’d be great. PM me if you can’t find my number.

Not a lot going on these days other than just trying to keep the grass mowed and trying to get some of the vehicle projects out of the way. Well now that GSMTR is over and we are probably done wheeling til it cools off a little, now we can try to catch up on some stuff around here.

Started this weekend with working in the front beds. Spent 2 days pulling weeds and spreading mulch and got a little over half the front done. Maybe knock out the other half next weekend.

0528182003.jpg

Thinking I'm gonna try and burn our big brush pile next Saturday as well. That thing has been an eyesore for long enough.

Here are some of my latest.
Finally got the stairs on the deck and we built an accent wall in the basement from pallets.
Did some Proslat walls in the machinery room and some landscaping around the flagpole.
IMG-20180610-WA0000.jpeg
IMG-20180616-WA0008.jpeg
20180528_182809.jpg
20180608_194031.jpg

Well, I started getting insulation up in the barn today. I had only gotten one bundle so I went as far as it would go.

0707181506.jpg

Going to go pick some more insulation and some osb after church tomorrow. I will have to leave the end by the breaker box open til I get all the wiring done, but thats ok cause getting the middle sheeted will let me hang my cabinets and move my work benches out of the middle of the floor and give me some room to work which will be a major win in my book.

Guess what momma has talked me into...

0716182021a.jpg

This will be a trial run to see if it can be managed and how much it will be used.

this is one of the best build threads on mud.

this is one of the best build threads on mud.

Thanks Patrick. It has been a Heck of a ride, and I don't expect it to slow down much any time soon.

Is that what they look like before they fully sprout?

Yep, I watered it just before heading in the house, I expect we will see it start to sprout over the next couple days and it will likely be in full bloom by the weekend :)

Well it sprouted today.

0717181911.jpg

Now it just needs some sun and a couple thousand gallons of water and we will see if it blooms.

Well it bloomed just in time for Hannah to try it out when she got back from her Granny and Pawpaw's.

0720182045.jpg

The girls spent all afternoon in it, so if they keep it up, then I suppose we will have to look into something a little more permanent next year.

Welp, did a lot of measuring this afternoon and finally got a pretty good layout for a carport. We gotta get a roof up that we can store some of our junk under. Looking at a 24'x36'

1021181750.jpg

Gonna try and get started cutting it down and leveling it to get some gravel in. Will be gravel for now. Eventually will have it concreted along with the apron at the garage.

Well with cooler temps coming I decided that I needed some space in the barn. I been kicking around this can for long enough and it is just time to get on with it.

So I went and picked up 10 sheets of OSB so I could get this going. I had already gotten insulation in a little over a third of the end, so I put up most of the rest of the end and then started hanging osb. I got enough sheets up to hang my old cabinets. This is a major step in this process and for me was a big deal. Now I can start loading them up with stuff and actually start getting some order in this chaos.

1103181555a.jpg

Well dang it, I took a pic of the cabinets up but it must not have stored, I will grab one tomorrow.

Grabbed a pic after church.

1104181556.jpg

Not much barn time. Trying to get the trans out of the Pig.

I think I found the problem..
1104181751.jpg

Clutch is toast and flywheel needs resurfacing before it all goes back together.
1104181721.jpg

1104181740a.jpg

Well, good with the bad I guess. Got a call Wednesday that we had continuous usage, so did some digging and I thought I got it temp'd up on Thursday afternoon, but I was oh so wrong.

Went to have a look this morning and was greated by this.

0126191019.jpg

Water boiling up out of the ground. I didnt look at it yesterday, but once I got the water off and checked the meter, over 12,000 gallons in a little over 24 hours...

So I shut it off, dug it out and went to work. This is from Thursday, but you can make out the bind it was in.

0124191846.jpg

This morning it was much more pronounced, and likely not far from popping completely out. It actually came out while I was trying to cut a section out to start cleaning it up.

This picture is about mid way thru and gives a really good idea of how much of a bind it was in.

40350~2.jpeg

The valve on the right is attached to the service line, the left is coming out of the meter base.

@Mrsjynx came over to assist and provide supervision and drove me to town to get a few extra fittings to finish it up.
40347.jpeg

It was a nice day, around 50° and there are worse things that we could be doing. Dump run and Moose clutch work will reconvene tomorrow after church.

If your on the FB, she posted a video of it going back on. I think we are good. I bushed it down to 1" for a short piece because 1" is more flexible To make the transition.

Here is the finished product.

40369.jpeg

I'm pleased. We graveled in under and around the new section and then covered it back up and spread out some hay over the sloppy mess we made while getting things back together.

I will be checking it periodically to make sure things stay dry, but I think this spot is good to go.

Last edited:
On a better note, we have been working on the layout for the deck out back and plan to start getting the posts laid out. Pic from the computer, but you kinda get the idea.

0117191603_HDR.jpg

Also on the to-do list is a "she-shed" playhouse for the little :princess: for her birthday. Gonna set it up so when she gets tired of it, it will become Erin's garden shed.

Thanks Rick. There is some covered out the back door currently, but I have thought about adding more covered off the back bedroom.

Not 100% sure what I'm gonna do with these, but I cleaned them up this afternoon. Thinking some kind of benchtop lighting, but we'll wait and see.

0217191635.jpg

Farm update:

Been working on a "she-shed" for Hannah. She asked for it for her birthday. With all our travels the last couple month's I havent got much progress made on it.

Got a good start back on early April. Concrete pier blocks, pressure treated rim board and floor joists, then PT 3/4" decking and got 2 walls up, then things stalled. Trips, GSMTR, holidays, rain... No progress for a month. Today I finished up the other 2 walls, got 1 header in and the rest of the Jack studs in, then I ran out of lumber. So this weekend I'll make a lumber run and maybe get a roof on it and get it sheeted.

Promising start:
0406191701.jpg

0406191800_HDR.jpg

Then stalled out til today when I got a little more sorted.

0527191700_HDR.jpg

0527191611.jpg

This is what it should look like when I'm done if I can read my own scribbles.

0407191604.jpg

Building it right so it can be a garden shed once Hannah looses interest. The lean-to will be the new home for the little green tractor.

Well we had a bit of an adventure at the Farm. Decided to burn the big brush pile that was left over from when we built the house. Well it all started well, but the wind kicked up and before long I was a little concerned. It went hot and fast like I expected, but got a little hotter and bigger than I was prepared to manage, so we called the FD for some insurance. By the time they arrived it had pretty well burned itself down, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

Flames were easily 30'+ at the highest and the radiant heat could be felt from 40'+ away. But its done and now I jist have a smoldering pile of ash to clean up.

I dont have any good before pictures, but these I grabbed of the camera at the end of the house gives a pretty good idea.

Yesterday vs. Today
Screenshot_2019-06-01-18-05-31.png

Screenshot_2019-06-01-18-05-56.png

Here are a couple of the aftermath.

0601191313.jpg

0601191623.jpg

Tomorrow we'll spread out the pile and sort the big stuff out so we can clean up the ash and dirt. Plan to grade it down and put stone down to have a place to park stuff and keep Erin from having to work in the yard.

Always something to do around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom