The big fat idle adjust thread... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2ndGenToyotaFan

Threads
Website
www.jeffersonstatecruisers.com
We've had a few questions lately and I think a thread is in order.

So post up pics of the idle adjust screws, 20R-3VZE. Tell us any stories about idle problems, causes, and solutions. Please be sure to include year and engine, so we're all on the same page. Links are good too. Anyone with their head wrapped around the pulsing idle while braking means turn the idle down problem, please explain that one for us all.

I'll FAQ it once it's up to par. Thanks for the help boys and girls! :cheers:

Before attemping these adjustments, heed what the FSM says:
1. INITIAL CONDITIONS
(a) Engine at normal operating temperature
(b) Air cleaner installed
(c) All pipes and hoses of air intake system connected
(d) All accessories switched OFF
(e) All vacuum lines properly connected
HINT: All vacuum hoses for the air suction, EGR sys–
tems, etc. should be properly connected.
(f) MFI system wiring connectors fully plugged
(g) Ignition timing set correctly
(h) Transmission in neutral

Engine discussed: 22RE. there are slight variations of the lay out/exact location of each part discussed. All 22RE's operate the same, just some look slightly different.
Factory specifies idle speed is 850 for 4x4 Auto trans and 750 for all others. I find 750 too low, and run closer to 850-875.

This pic shows where to use your standard screw driver. turn this screw to get fast results with your idle. this is called the auxiliary air valve

2451230354_bafee60ce9.jpg

when the first method does not set you idle low enough, use a 8mm wrench and a tiny allen wrench to adjust the throttle stop. this only has a minimal effect. I am using the screwdriver to point to the set screw

2451239382_e4352155ab.jpg

this is the dashpot works like a buffer. so when you snap the throttle closed (let off the pedal suddenly), instead of closing rapidly, it slows the rate down. the dashpot draws a slight amount of air into and exhausts. the dashpot valve which contacts the throttle linkage set screw must contact slightly for this anti snap effect to work. if either the valve or filter is dirty, it can either prevent the anti snap, or raise the idle slightly. particularly if the set screw is adjusted out too far. in this pic, i am holding the filter. you can use WD-40 to clean the valve, and unsnap the filter and clean it to insure proper operation.

2451230372_cb652e6323.jpg

Last edited:
X2 on making sure the dash pot is clean. I have to clean mine every month or 2 otherwise I have to snap my throttle real quick to get the idle back down to normal.

Also, I run the stiffer 4xInnovations t-case mount and ever since I installed it the idle screw likes to work its way all the way down and it won't idle (mount has more vibration than normal). So, until I figure out a better way I just have a piece of duct tape across the top of the screw to keep it from moving :hillbilly:

:doh:
thanks Jerod
:flipoff2:
the 20R/22R engine I have currently is about to be swapped for a 22RE. mmmmmmm injection :D

It has a webber carb on there. I will take some tech pics of that too. But that still leaves stock carbs for both 20R and 22R. I wont be able to do either, as I dont own either.

ok well as long as we have this going i may as well ask all the questions i can since i seem to be having some trouble with this and or related to this. so just recently my truck seems to be missing a little not when i am at idle. not a constant missing but when i am in park or when i am stopped at a light or what not. i changed back to standard plugs since the previous owner had installed platinum plugs and as far as i know those run too hot for older engines.( dunno if there is any sort of exception for the slightly different performance for the turbo engine i have). i changed the cap and rotor back to official toyota ones... ive been toying with the idle speed with says 800-850 for the turbo engine in the manuals but still i am having this sort of chugging missing problem( again not when driving only when stopped). so even setting my idle to closer to 900 unless i press the break and the gas slightly at the same time and sit myself at 1000-1100 rpm while stopped in drive still the same problem occurs. also if i have the idle speed set this high when in drive when i drop into park my rpms are anywhere from 1200-1500 rpm which seems way too high and my turbo does not like that upon first starting the engine. soo.... thats about as throrough as i can explain my problem any suggestions or ideas as to what else i should look at or do would be greatly appreciated.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom