The ABCs of AHC - How to Measure, Flush, and Adjust all in one place (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you unplug your temp sensor at the pump before measuring the rear pressure?

Yes, didn’t make any difference. (It took me a while to get around to it and I had been holding out hope that would do it.)

I did see a drop after changing out the globes, which also makes no sense to me.

Yes, didn’t make any difference. (It took me a while to get around to it and I had been holding out hope that would do it.)

I did see a drop after changing out the globes, which also makes no sense to me.
With your sleeping platform, you put weight behind the rear axle. Think Porsche 911 engine placement. This puts essentially all of the weight on the rear springs. Even with spacers, you may still be above spec. To get back into spec, you would need beefier springs, or consider adding airbags to supplement the rear springs (cheaper, more flexible, but not a set it and forget item).

Highly recommend the King springs for anyone on the fence about new OEM springs. They’re not much more money, just have to go get them on eBay or another place that will have Aussie vendors. They seem to ride fine even on an unloaded truck and basically future-proof the AHC for any weight additions.

The best place to look up parts numbers is Toyota parts catalog - https://toyota.epc-data.com
It defaults to Japan, but you can choose Europe, USA or General (Aus, Middle East, Asia, etc). It links directly to Amayama for price reference.

Does anyone know the full total capacity of the system? Mine has been refilled with green fluid, I suspect Citroen, that I will be replacing. Lots of it is already drained, so can't measure what is inside.
My understanding is that when flushing, not insignificant amount remains in the "shocks" for example. My system was drained and the "shocks" removed, yet they are full of fluid. If a flush is usually ~3 litres, can I assume double that?

The best place to look up parts numbers is Toyota parts catalog - https://toyota.epc-data.com
It defaults to Japan, but you can choose Europe, USA or General (Aus, Middle East, Asia, etc). It links directly to Amayama for price reference.

Does anyone know the full total capacity of the system? Mine has been refilled with green fluid, I suspect Citroen, that I will be replacing. Lots of it is already drained, so can't measure what is inside.
My understanding is that when flushing, not insignificant amount remains in the "shocks" for example. My system was drained and the "shocks" removed, yet they are full of fluid. If a flush is usually ~3 litres, can I assume double that?
Judging by how long it took me to get mostly clear fluid from every port, I would guess total capacity around 5-6 liters.

Get at least 6 liters if you want to fully evacuate any old fluid (and all of the debris it is bound to bring with it).

With your sleeping platform, you put weight behind the rear axle. Think Porsche 911 engine placement. This puts essentially all of the weight on the rear springs

I’m using the SS1 (30 pounds) and I’ve got a pretty thick rug lying on top of it. Even with the rug it seems unlikely to weigh as much as the rear-most seats. I’ve always assumed that those seats are considered part of the baseline when measuring pressure - that is, that you measure with the seats installed and with have a full tank of gas, no other load.

FWIW, I just checked my AHC pressures. Unknown age on my stock LX (rear) springs on an 01, 200K miles. No spacers. I also removed my jump seats, but had a full tank of gas and loaded up the rear hatch area with about 100lbs. of additional weight.

My front pressure was 6.7 and rear pressure was 7.3. The rear pressure was 6.9 when I measured a few months ago with no additional weight in the rear hatch, but both 2nd and 3rd row seats removed, full tank of gas.

I do have rear airbags that I forget are there, and hence stay deflated unless I inflate them to hitch up to a trailer.

I just found the specs again for the rear: 5.7 +- 0.3

Seems like I need to look at some beefier springs myself. Oh joy.

Spacers would seem a better idea than stiffer springs, no? My pressures are not quite as bad as yours, and I planned on adding a 30mm spacer 'eventually'.

Slee always seems out of stock, but other options look to include Ironman4x4 and Dobinsons 80 series rears.

Last edited:
Spacers would seem a better idea than stiffer springs, no? My pressures are not quite as bad as yours, and I planned on adding a 30mm spacer 'eventually'.

Slee always seems out of stock, but other options look to include Ironman4x4 and Dobinsons 80 series rears.
I agree with this. If you need .5-1 Mpa, go for spacers. The King Springs move pressures about 3 Mpa and I think that's about the lowest strength upgrade after OEM. You're better off at 6.5 than 4.0, IMO.

I agree with this. If you need .5-1 Mpa, go for spacers. The King Springs move pressures about 3 Mpa and I think that's about the lowest strength upgrade after OEM. You're better off at 6.5 than 4.0, IMO.
I am currently at 6.8 in the front and 7.1 in the rear. Are all spacers created equal? 80 series fits 100? Also, what if I tried a 40 or 50mm spacer? Would it lower the pressure more?
I just can't see going from 7.1 to 6.6 improving my ride much. But, I agree that new springs will drop it too low.
Side note: when I am creeping and come to an abrupt stop, my vehicle shakes forward/backward for about 3-4 seconds. Is that normal with hydraulic suspensions?

I am currently at 6.8 in the front and 7.1 in the rear. Are all spacers created equal? 80 series fits 100? Also, what if I tried a 40 or 50mm spacer? Would it lower the pressure more?
I just can't see going from 7.1 to 6.6 improving my ride much. But, I agree that new springs will drop it too low.
Side note: when I am creeping and come to an abrupt stop, my vehicle shakes forward/backward for about 3-4 seconds. Is that normal with hydraulic suspensions?
Mine does not shake as your mentioning even when fully loaded with drawers, sliders, fridge, 10 gal water etc.

Not sure what causes that. Worn body mounts maybe?
Check all bushings, motor mounts, trans mounts, etc... There's a mount in each shock, 8 in the front A arms, 10 in the rear arms, two on the engine, one on the trans, three on the front diff, etc.... Lots of rubber to wear and cause all kinds of sloppy/bouncy feel.

Reactions: tjb
Check all bushings, motor mounts, trans mounts, etc... There's a mount in each shock, 8 in the front A arms, 10 in the rear arms, two on the engine, one on the trans, three on the front diff, etc.... Lots of rubber to wear and cause all kinds of sloppy/bouncy feel.
Lovely. I change my 3 points for the front diff per your excellent YouTube videos during "naptimes", lol. Thanks for your advice and support to your fellow cruiser fam.

63 or 65 bushings/mounts. I have counted and ordered them all. About $1800 in rubber... But I very much doubt it's them. Shaking, especially that long, is normal even with conventional suspension if well set!

When ‘cross-levelling’ complete, then we think about correct heights. We switch “ON” the engine and also make sure that the AHC is switched “ON” and operating. The AHC Electronic Control Unit (ECU) will now receive information from the Height Control Sensors at Front Left, Front Right and Rear.

@IndroCruise

So front and rear heights are measured with the vehicle turned ON? Does the vehicle height change when the ignition is turned ON?
I initially put this in the Definitive list of AHC maintenance items thread, but at almost 800 posts long and growing, it's going to get buried and the thread itself is very unwieldy.

In an attempt to make as focused a summary as possible, I present "The ABCs of AHC." It's intended as a comprehensive, linear checklist for anyone who needs to get their AHC back into factory tune. Information gathered from as many sources as I could find on this forum; I take no credit for developing any of this, just bringing it all together as much as possible. Special shout outs to @PADDO, @uHu, @IndroCruise, @PabloCruise and @2001LC for many of the details, specs, and procedures I've included in here. Feedback more than welcome, will make edits as appropriate based on what I hear.

A - Assess: Figure out where you’re starting from
  1. Wheels on level ground, no ramps, jacks, or stands needed for parts A, B, or C. DO NOT PUT YOURSELF PHYSICALLY UNDER THE VEHICLE FOR ANY OF THIS.
  2. Get your rig loaded/unloaded to what is “typical” for your use.
    • FSM calls for no driver or passengers, full tank of fuel.
  3. Measure ride height at all 4 corners from center of wheel cap vertically to fender lip on a level surface
    • Front OEM: 19.75” (50.2cm)
    • Rear OEM: 20.5” (52.1cm)
    • Drive a bit, then park in the same level place. Take 3-5 measurements and get a mean or median.
  4. Measure difference in AHC tank level between H and L suspension heights
    • >7 graduations acceptable, 14 graduations new from factory
    • Need to replace globes/spheres if <7 after parts A, B, and C are complete.
    • Backlight AHC fluid tank with a light to help see fluid level
    • Again, 3-5 measurements and take a mean or median value
  5. Measure your front/rear pressures, accumulator pressure, and sensor heights using Techstreamand a Mini-VCI cable, a manual inline gauge, or an advanced OBDII reader (iCarsoft, OBDLink, VGate, etc.)
    • Front spec: 6.9MPa +/- 0.5
    • Rear spec: 5.6-6.7MPa
    • Accumulator spec: 10-10.6MPa
    • Start car, connect Techstream, make sure you choose your exact model, not the default Land Cruiser with no AHC installed
    • Open AHC channel and select "data list" to monitor values
    • Cycle from N to L to N again. Take a screenshot of your values. There are Front R and Front L height sensors but only one rear sensor for pressure and height. May need to disconnect the AHC temp sensor to get accurate rear readings per FSM.
    • Again, 3-5 measurements and take a mean or median value for each data point.

B - Bleed: Flush out the old AHC fluid
  1. Procure three 1L bottles of OEM AHC fluid (08886-81221)
  2. Put AHC in Low, turn engine off
  3. Suck all old fluid out of AHC tank (~1L if level was between Max/Min at N height)
  4. Pour in new fluid to top of tank (~2.5L)
  5. Bleed accumulator until fluid stops (long cylinder on left side frame rail) (~300mL, 10mm wrench)
    • Bleeder torque spec: 62 in-lbf (5.5 ft-lbf, 7.5 N-m)
  6. Bleed one front and one rear damper (globe unit) until both front and rear are on the bump stops and fluid stops flowing (~300-400mL each)
    • Bleeder torque spec: 73 in-lbf (6.0 ft-lbf, 8.1 N-m)
    • Careful, as the car will lower significantly during this process. Don't put yourself under the vehicle!
  7. Start car, put AHC in Neutral until pump stops, turn off again
  8. Bleed the remaining front and rear dampers on the other side of the car for just a second until fresh fluid and no air comes out (~50mL each)
  9. Start car, cycle to AHC to L then back to N
  10. Top off AHC fluid in the reservoir. Should be between Max/Min at N height.
  11. Recheck graduations in the tank as described in step A2. May see some improvement, may not.

C – Crank/Check: Adjust the side-to-side height and neutral pressures front/rear
  1. Remeasure your ride heights as in Step A1. Measure twice, cut once.
  2. Fix any left-to-right ride height imbalance, i.e. lean. This is commonly called “cross-leveling” throughout this thread. This is done entirely by adjusting the front torsion bars (TBs), not height sensors.
    • Tighten (CW) a TB nut to raise a low side, loosen (CCW) to lower a high side. 30mm wrench/socket
    • Mark your TB nuts (permanent or paint marker) so that you don’t lose track of where a full turn is
    • Place AHC in H to lessen pressure on TBs and make turning easier. Put back to N for measurements.
    • ~1/8” correction in left-to-right height imbalance per full turn of a TB nut
    • Best to turn TBs equal amounts in opposite directions until level
    • Drive a bit, repeat, measure until satisfied with left and right ride heights being equal
  3. Adjust the three ride height sensors as needed to achieve as close to 0mm on all values at N in Techstream.
    • Engine off, ignition on. Monitor changes in real time on Techstream.
    • Raise: Shorten heim joint (the adjustable threaded rod) or move the top of the joint up in its slider
    • Lower: Lengthen heim joint or move the top of the joint down in its slider
    • Rear sensor only has a slider
    • <10mm (0.3-0.4in) between the two most discrepant sensors is acceptable
    • Recheck ride height as in step A2. If all sensors at/near 0mm, ride height should be very close to OEM spec, otherwise sensor(s) may be malfunctioning.
  4. Adjust front N height pressures by cranking the TBs
    • Place AHC in H to lessen pressure on TBs and make turning easier
    • Lower pressures: tighten (CW) both TBs the same amount
    • Raise pressures: loosen (CCW) both TBs the same amount
    • ~0.2MPa change in pressure per full turn of a TB nut
    • Cycle H to L to N. Recheck pressures as in step A5.
  5. Check rear N height pressure
    • OEM specs in step A5
    • May need to disconnect the AHC temp sensor to get accurate rear readings per FSM (Decreases pressures ~0.8-1). Try it both ways.
    • Rear pressures can be changed with new springs (OEM or King), spacers, airbags, or rear sensor height adjustments (but this last one also change the height of your rear and the car’s rake front to back).
  6. Check graduations in the tank as described in step A2. Again, may see some improvement, may not.

Good luck! Hope folks find this a helpful all-in-one reference for tackling their AHC. Maybe it will prevent a few of you from ripping out a great system. Save the AHCs!

I initially put this in the Definitive list of AHC maintenance items thread, but at almost 800 posts long and growing, it's going to get buried and the thread itself is very unwieldy.

In an attempt to make as focused a summary as possible, I present "The ABCs of AHC." It's intended as a comprehensive, linear checklist for anyone who needs to get their AHC back into factory tune. Information gathered from as many sources as I could find on this forum; I take no credit for developing any of this, just bringing it all together as much as possible. Special shout outs to @PADDO, @uHu, @IndroCruise, @PabloCruise and @2001LC for many of the details, specs, and procedures I've included in here. Feedback more than welcome, will make edits as appropriate based on what I hear.

A - Assess: Figure out where you’re starting from
  1. Wheels on level ground, no ramps, jacks, or stands needed for parts A, B, or C. DO NOT PUT YOURSELF PHYSICALLY UNDER THE VEHICLE FOR ANY OF THIS.
  2. Get your rig loaded/unloaded to what is “typical” for your use.
    • FSM calls for no driver or passengers, full tank of fuel.
  3. Measure ride height at all 4 corners from center of wheel cap vertically to fender lip on a level surface
    • Front OEM: 19.75” (50.2cm)
    • Rear OEM: 20.5” (52.1cm)
    • Drive a bit, then park in the same level place. Take 3-5 measurements and get a mean or median.
  4. Measure difference in AHC tank level between H and L suspension heights
    • >7 graduations acceptable, 14 graduations new from factory
    • Need to replace globes/spheres if <7 after parts A, B, and C are complete.
    • Backlight AHC fluid tank with a light to help see fluid level
    • Again, 3-5 measurements and take a mean or median value
  5. Measure your front/rear pressures, accumulator pressure, and sensor heights using Techstreamand a Mini-VCI cable, a manual inline gauge, or an advanced OBDII reader (iCarsoft, OBDLink, VGate, etc.)
    • Front spec: 6.9MPa +/- 0.5
    • Rear spec: 5.6-6.7MPa
    • Accumulator spec: 10-10.6MPa
    • Start car, connect Techstream, make sure you choose your exact model, not the default Land Cruiser with no AHC installed
    • Open AHC channel and select "data list" to monitor values
    • Cycle from N to L to N again. Take a screenshot of your values. There are Front R and Front L height sensors but only one rear sensor for pressure and height. May need to disconnect the AHC temp sensor to get accurate rear readings per FSM.
    • Again, 3-5 measurements and take a mean or median value for each data point.

B - Bleed: Flush out the old AHC fluid
  1. Procure three 1L bottles of OEM AHC fluid (08886-81221)
  2. Put AHC in Low, turn engine off
  3. Suck all old fluid out of AHC tank (~1L if level was between Max/Min at N height)
  4. Pour in new fluid to top of tank (~2.5L)
  5. Bleed accumulator until fluid stops (long cylinder on left side frame rail) (~300mL, 10mm wrench)
    • Bleeder torque spec: 62 in-lbf (5.5 ft-lbf, 7.5 N-m)
  6. Bleed one front and one rear damper (globe unit) until both front and rear are on the bump stops and fluid stops flowing (~300-400mL each)
    • Bleeder torque spec: 73 in-lbf (6.0 ft-lbf, 8.1 N-m)
    • Careful, as the car will lower significantly during this process. Don't put yourself under the vehicle!
  7. Start car, put AHC in Neutral until pump stops, turn off again
  8. Bleed the remaining front and rear dampers on the other side of the car for just a second until fresh fluid and no air comes out (~50mL each)
  9. Start car, cycle to AHC to L then back to N
  10. Top off AHC fluid in the reservoir. Should be between Max/Min at N height.
  11. Recheck graduations in the tank as described in step A2. May see some improvement, may not.

C – Crank/Check: Adjust the side-to-side height and neutral pressures front/rear
  1. Remeasure your ride heights as in Step A1. Measure twice, cut once.
  2. Fix any left-to-right ride height imbalance, i.e. lean. This is commonly called “cross-leveling” throughout this thread. This is done entirely by adjusting the front torsion bars (TBs), not height sensors.
    • Tighten (CW) a TB nut to raise a low side, loosen (CCW) to lower a high side. 30mm wrench/socket
    • Mark your TB nuts (permanent or paint marker) so that you don’t lose track of where a full turn is
    • Place AHC in H to lessen pressure on TBs and make turning easier. Put back to N for measurements.
    • ~1/8” correction in left-to-right height imbalance per full turn of a TB nut
    • Best to turn TBs equal amounts in opposite directions until level
    • Drive a bit, repeat, measure until satisfied with left and right ride heights being equal
  3. Adjust the three ride height sensors as needed to achieve as close to 0mm on all values at N in Techstream.
    • Engine off, ignition on. Monitor changes in real time on Techstream.
    • Raise: Shorten heim joint (the adjustable threaded rod) or move the top of the joint up in its slider
    • Lower: Lengthen heim joint or move the top of the joint down in its slider
    • Rear sensor only has a slider
    • <10mm (0.3-0.4in) between the two most discrepant sensors is acceptable
    • Recheck ride height as in step A2. If all sensors at/near 0mm, ride height should be very close to OEM spec, otherwise sensor(s) may be malfunctioning.
  4. Adjust front N height pressures by cranking the TBs
    • Place AHC in H to lessen pressure on TBs and make turning easier
    • Lower pressures: tighten (CW) both TBs the same amount
    • Raise pressures: loosen (CCW) both TBs the same amount
    • ~0.2MPa change in pressure per full turn of a TB nut
    • Cycle H to L to N. Recheck pressures as in step A5.
  5. Check rear N height pressure
    • OEM specs in step A5
    • May need to disconnect the AHC temp sensor to get accurate rear readings per FSM (Decreases pressures ~0.8-1). Try it both ways.
    • Rear pressures can be changed with new springs (OEM or King), spacers, airbags, or rear sensor height adjustments (but this last one also change the height of your rear and the car’s rake front to back).
  6. Check graduations in the tank as described in step A2. Again, may see some improvement, may not.

Good luck! Hope folks find this a helpful all-in-one reference for tackling their AHC. Maybe it will prevent a few of you from ripping out a great system. Save the AHCs!
Good morning group from an icy Kentucky. I'm currently working from home and have a great deal of extra time. So, having recently purchased a 1998 Lexus LX 470 with 237K on it I'm still deep in the throughs of frenzied research and the honeymoon period.

The truck is in remarkably great shape for its age and had a great service record and at the time was the only one within 500 miles of me in my price range. So I made the plunge and she's ours. We are the fourth owner and she was maintained flawlessly according to Lexus records up until about 10k ago.

I don't know about you guys but I've wanted a Land Cruiser since I was a young man (I'm 53 now) and ironically could only afford one many years later... I digress. I give a whole diatribe on how I chose this truck and why in another thread. That being said, I'm going through her pretty thoroughly (When I say I that's my very trusted mechanic and I). I'll do the body, suspension, power steering flush, heater t's etc.. I'll have him do the timing belt, pump, serpentine etc.

It's at his shop now being checked out for a random "fire and no start" issues early this week (it started as soon as AAA got here of course but hey its free so I had them drop it there). I was taking it there anyway to be checked out (check engine on PO says it's an O2 sensor). I've ordered an OBD2 reader that should be in any day.

All that being said here is my question:

The AHC currently goes into the N and L position. It will not go into H. It seems to be working. You can hear the pumps and it leveling. The level in the reservoir changes from L to N. But, will not go any higher. It even changes height when in L once moving. Just no H. So, that would tell me the system is "working" somewhat.

Question 1. If I can't do a graduation test where do I begin? Is it just low? Could I add fluid see if it raises then do a flush later? Just kind of don't know where to start? All the information I've seen starts with assuming everything is working - i.e. the graduation test. The fluid is expensive as you all know and I don't just want to go throwing it away.

Question 2: It seems to ride just fine now - actually very nice. Telling me the globes and system is again, "somewhat functional." What is the harm in not addressing the AHC? I have timing belt and other "essential maintenance" to get though in the next couple of months. Can this wait for warmer weather assuming simple adding fluid doesn't fix it? Can it wait on my list? Looks like I may be dealing with the known "fuse box" issue also...we'll see what the mechanic says today. Just trying to pick my battles as I rides just fine today. There is a lot of rust around the components and I'd like to soak them down for the next month with some WD40 and penetrating lubricant before I attempt to turn the first wrench. Thoughts?

Good morning group from an icy Kentucky. I'm currently working from home and have a great deal of extra time. So, having recently purchased a 1998 Lexus LX 470 with 237K on it I'm still deep in the throughs of frenzied research and the honeymoon period.

The truck is in remarkably great shape for its age and had a great service record and at the time was the only one within 500 miles of me in my price range. So I made the plunge and she's ours. We are the fourth owner and she was maintained flawlessly according to Lexus records up until about 10k ago.

I don't know about you guys but I've wanted a Land Cruiser since I was a young man (I'm 53 now) and ironically could only afford one many years later... I digress. I give a whole diatribe on how I chose this truck and why in another thread. That being said, I'm going through her pretty thoroughly (When I say I that's my very trusted mechanic and I). I'll do the body, suspension, power steering flush, heater t's etc.. I'll have him do the timing belt, pump, serpentine etc.

It's at his shop now being checked out for a random "fire and no start" issues early this week (it started as soon as AAA got here of course but hey its free so I had them drop it there). I was taking it there anyway to be checked out (check engine on PO says it's an O2 sensor). I've ordered an OBD2 reader that should be in any day.

All that being said here is my question:

The AHC currently goes into the N and L position. It will not go into H. It seems to be working. You can hear the pumps and it leveling. The level in the reservoir changes from L to N. But, will not go any higher. It even changes height when in L once moving. Just no H. So, that would tell me the system is "working" somewhat.

Question 1. If I can't do a graduation test where do I begin? Is it just low? Could I add fluid see if it raises then do a flush later? Just kind of don't know where to start? All the information I've seen starts with assuming everything is working - i.e. the graduation test. The fluid is expensive as you all know and I don't just want to go throwing it away.

Question 2: It seems to ride just fine now - actually very nice. Telling me the globes and system is again, "somewhat functional." What is the harm in not addressing the AHC? I have timing belt and other "essential maintenance" to get though in the next couple of months. Can this wait for warmer weather assuming simple adding fluid doesn't fix it? Can it wait on my list? Looks like I may be dealing with the known "fuse box" issue also...we'll see what the mechanic says today. Just trying to pick my battles as I rides just fine today. There is a lot of rust around the components and I'd like to soak them down for the next month with some WD40 and penetrating lubricant before I attempt to turn the first wrench. Thoughts?

Hey Todd, welcome to the club. I'm not too far north in Cincinnati.

Re AHC, you won't be able to do a graduation test until you can go into L, N, and H. You can add OEM AHC fluid to your reservoir now, but that likely won't fix the problem. The pump doesn't care if the reservoir is low and will just suck air into the system if that's the case. If you have air in the lines, that may be preventing you from reaching H, but likely also would prevent AHC from moving much at all and the ride should be terrible. A full flush to get air out would be the solution to this, though I don't think it's your most likely issue. Where is the fluid level in the reservoir when in N currently?

What you really need to start the process is a means to measure the AHC pressures. Whether that be Techstream, one of the compatible wireless OBD readers (see my original post), or a mechanic/friend with access to one of those. Since going into H requires the most pressure in the system, my guess is that your N pressure is near the max allowable by the system and so you can't reach H. Cranking torsion bars in the front will likely help this, you may need new springs or to add spring spacers in the rear to help there.

Downsides of riding as you are include: extra pressure exerting extra wear on all the AHC components, worsened ride (even if it's "pretty good" as is), as well as higher likelihood of defaulting into L if you load the truck up with people and gear.

Hope that helps. Long live AHC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom