The 60 series Rubithon thread! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Cruiserdrew..sounds like a trail like that could mar up my white walls..so I'll have to pass on driving it. Seriously..my rig is a desert runner, not rigged for rock banging. However, the hiking deal sounds interesting, I enjoy watching other folks bash up their equipment.

How long is the trail? I assume it's a slow go so time is not the question, how long mile wise? I'm thinking a walk in for two days then walk back the way I came in. I'll either pack in or trade Central Oregon beer for someone to mule it for me...
thanks
hd.

Thanks again Cruiserdrew. A few more questions come to mind.

What are the usual temperatures (day/night)? Does the Ice house have diesel?

You honestly should have no issues with a 4BT finishing the trail if you fill up in Placerville. With a 23-24 gallon tank it shouldn't be too hard even for teh 2F guys. Its always a good idea to bring 5 gallons, but this trail is only 12miles long from Loon Lake all the way out.

I have run it with a built 302 in a 72' Ford Bronco with only 18 gallon tank. I had at least 1/3 of a tank left after running from DoRobbs all the way out.

I have had my fair share of major carnage on the trail itself. Pulled a steering box off the frame just after Little Sluice. Broke the ears off of it, so using new bolts wasn't an option. We had to drill the frame and run a u-bolt through the frame to hold the box on it. I did the last 99% of the trail in 2wd. We aired up the front tires, and I would only lock the front hubs for certain spots that I couldn't drive in 2wd. Made it out, and drove it around Tahoe back to DoRobs that way.

I've done the Con at least 8-10 times now. Its a great vacation, but be prepared. Big Sluice isn't too much of a big deal since the whole thing is pretty much down hill. Cadillac Hill is tough mostly at the bottom unless its real wet and sloppy. Anyone who values their body and parts at all will steer clear of Little Sluice. Its really just a buggy type of section. Its only 50ft long, but its just plain nasty.

Go in the attitude to just survive the trail. Take the bypasses when necessary, and don't run stupid lines to show off. 12 miles is a long way when you have a large group of other rigs depending on you to make it through.

I love camping at Spider Lake, Buck Island, and Rubicon Springs. You can swim (its cold though), fish, and just kind of relax.

If you come in early and want a great place to camp or rent their cabins the night before you hit the trail, I highly recommend DoRobbs. Its closer to Loon Lake than Icehouse and is a great place. Its changed ownership quite a few times over the last few years, but they have a full restaurant with bar, and provide much safer tow rig parking for a fee. They make a great Bloody Mary too. The are right off Icehouse Road as well. And, they allow fires, even when you need a permit on the trail or even when fire restrictions are in order on public land.

I would love to make this run, but seriously doubt my 60 will be ready for the Con by then. I could always bring my 4runner, but if you guys only want wagons, I would be out.

On another note. Make sure to save some room on the camera for the drive out 89 around Lake Tahoe. Its an epic drive around Lake Tahoe, and you will chit yourself when you get to Crystal Cove and look down on it.

:cool:

Here is a pic looking down on the slabs. Its a huge playground area.
20040805202339_PICT0250.JPG

Last edited:
Dylan looking forward to meeting you. How far are you from the trails? I am looking for some place close to meet everyone a day or two ahead of time. Maybe a place to crash centrally located?

clint

Back atcha Clint. I am at most 2-2.5 hours from the trail. I think the best thing to do would be to meet you somewhere Tuesday morning when you are heading into the Sacramento area head up the hill and camp. I am thinking of camping up there Tuesday night just to avoid a stressful Wednesday morning and instead enjoy a relaxing day of camping and a last once-over of the rig.

Dylan

I would love to make this run, but seriously doubt my 60 will be ready for the Con by then. I could always bring my 4runner, but if you guys only want wagons, I would be out.

:cool:

It's called the wagon run because wagons are welcome, not because it's wagon exclusive.

Some runs arn't real wagon friendly, or at least have not been in the past. The natural pace of wagons is a little slower, that's OK.

I'll be there next mtg, with my Dad OME'd 60 and my buddy stock 40.

Dirt- Is that the confluence of the McKenzie in your avatar?

why yes it is. one of the most beautiful places to play in the NW

clint

OK so here it is been on the rubicon and attended rubithon on multiple occasions what a blat I just bought a 85 60 and will be going into construction and be ready for the trip. I always carry a generator,pancake compressor, and welder(fluxcore). with knowledge under my belt I am very interested in meeting norcal cruisers and helping when I can. BTW first cruiser I ever owned

It's called the wagon run because wagons are welcome, not because it's wagon exclusive.

Some runs arn't real wagon friendly, or at least have not been in the past. The natural pace of wagons is a little slower, that's OK.

At 244:1 in my 4runner, I seriously doubt a Cruiser will be slower. :D

I will keep this run on my short list and see if its doable.

If you get your first dent, is it ok to walk off and have a moment or two? Just want to make sure cause I will need them.:crybaby:

Also, if everyone from Oregon will agree to fix my truck when I break it, I will buy you dinner at subway.:cheers:

Should we expect body damage? Thanks.D

YES.

Any chance of a true wagon only run or 60's only run?

Place to stay the day before? Clint

A true Wagon run does not exclude any wagons...at least once a year, you tassle-loafered, latte-sipping sissy 60 owners need to be reminded that the old-school wagons wheel too.
Plenty of places to crash in Sac...drop Pighead a PM if you get desperate.

If you get your first dent, is it ok to walk off and have a moment or two? Just want to make sure cause I will need them.:crybaby::cheers:

If you don't have your first dent by the tech inspection, we will install it then and there for you.. No extra charge and you can have your moment. You don't get to "have a moment" on the trail unless you, or your rig, is getting airflighted out....

Towards the bottom of Big Sluice...
YouTube - fj55 having fun on the CON #2

One with Cruiserdrew (in the hat) ...still want to drive your 60?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxg5vxrJq0&feature=related

Last edited:
If you get your first dent, is it ok to walk off and have a moment or two? Just want to make sure cause I will need them.:crybaby:

Also, if everyone from Oregon will agree to fix my truck when I break it, I will buy you dinner at subway.:cheers:

sweet $5 dollar, $5 dollar, $5 dollar foot looooong here I come!!

don't we already do that? pay up sucker I am hungry

Clint

YES.

A true Wagon run does not exclude any wagons...at least once a year, you tassle-loafered, latte-sipping sissy 60 owners need to be reminded that the old-school wagons wheel too.
Plenty of places to crash in Sac...drop Pighead a PM if you get desperate.

dont need the reminder. 60 owners need to understand it is ok to push these wagons a little harder than just the last geocaching run with the rug rats:p they will be ok I promise.

If you don't have your first dent by the tech inspection, we will install it then and there for you.. No extra charge and you can have your moment. You don't get to "have a moment" on the trail unless you, or your rig, is getting airflighted out....

I got first dibs on blood and guts repair on the trail before the copter lands.

Towards the bottom of Big Sluice...
YouTube - fj55 having fun on the CON #2

One with Cruiserdrew (in the hat) ...still want to drive your 60?
YouTube - fj55 having fun on the CON #1

I think we need to make it mandatory that cruiserdrew's run this year everyone has to wear a similar hat.:grinpimp:

let the games begin.

I think we need to make it mandatory that cruiserdrew's run this year everyone has to wear a similar hat.:grinpimp:

let the games begin.

If you knew how many skin cancers my dad has had carved off of his face, you would understand why I have that silly hat(and long sleeves). That Irish skin is a killer in the Sierra sun.

Plus, the chicks dig it.:grinpimp:

Is mechanical damage likely on the Wagon run? Or do most make it through with only body damage?

I might be down around Rubithon, and although it's tempting to come out for some fun, I need to be able to drive back to Alberta and tow another wagon home behind me.

I have only done it one time which was last year with Rubithon. It really lives up to its reputation. I have heard depending on the time of the year the trail can be harder. By the end of the season people have rolled rocks and it can be easier. Some places there is just no place to go but between some rocks. I would be very surprised if any FJ60's with less than 35's and SOA have made it through the whole trail without some body damage. The FJ80 rear overhang being less seems to help a lot vs. the 60's.

Coming out of Buck Island after driving over the dam I was backing up and a rock slid out from under my passenger rear tire and the cruiser slid into a tree for its first big dent. Then right after that there was a steep climb and after starting to climb it my rear was dragging and soon became stuck so I couldn't back out and needed a tug up it.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/members/nocalfj60-albums-2008-picture2573-rubicon.html

I am not saying you can't make it through the whole trail with 33's, SUA, and a locker but body damage is highly likely. Just be prepared for body damage and don't worry about it much or you will not have as much fun on the trail. Some of the damage was due to my first time driving a trail that hard and learning but a lot was just out of my control. The toybox helps a lot cause you can take it very slow and stop before you get in trouble and pick a new line.

I would prefer to have a front locker, more protection for the rear, and better transfer case & toybox skidplate if I did the trail again. Also I would go in with the wagon run since the pace is slower and you can see the lines the wagons take in front of you. Also cruiserdrew has a lot of experience in getting wagon though which would help a lot. I had no wagons on the run I went in with so it made it fun in a way but also more challenging.

I ended up with a lot more damage then I thought but had a fun time so it was worth it. If I am unable to drive the cruiser this year, I might try and find an open seat with someone. It is a great run and camping at the springs is a fun time.
DSC_786876.jpg

Last edited:
Is mechanical damage likely on the Wagon run? Or do most make it through with only body damage?

Anything is possible. The automatic will tend to help make up for the lack of really low gearing. Lots of stuff can still break. I've broken a rear axle out there, and I've seen sheared knuckle studs about 25 times. I've seen many many broken birfs, several broken inner front axles, steering boxes torn off of frames, broken sector shafts, broken pinions, broken U-bolts, broken driveshafts, broken leaf packs, hydrolocked motors etc. Just about every truck comes out with a barber-polled driveshaft. I saw one poor guy tear his rear shackle hangers right off his frame. typically, the further from stock it's modified, the more likely something will be overstressed and break.

One memorable night I saw a guy double roll his FJ60 off the shelf road above Buck Island Lake.:eek:

The point is anything can happen, but usually doesn't with good prep prior to the event. Don't let the fear of mechanical breakage keep you away from the event. Even if you do break, it's still worth it and you won't be left behind.

On the wagon run itself the last 2 years, the extent of the mechanical damage has been 1 broken leaf spring and some flat tires. We tore another rear axle apart only to find it was OK, so that doesn't count. The owner told us the axle had broken but on tear down we found that simply his cable locker had stopped engaging.

Bring what you got, wheel what you bring!

(Expect a little body damage and make sure everything is in top shape mechanically when you start.)

Wagons are perfect for the Rubicon because you can bring everything with you and when it rains you and your gear will be dry!

Some places are a little tight:
p6210672.jpg

p6200502.jpg

p6200532.jpg

p6200602.jpg

p6200608.jpg

Some times there is carnage:
P4110128.jpg

P7170140.JPG

DSCN1603.JPG

DSCN1602.JPG

Big tires help:

P6140131.JPG

But it's always fun:

P4110135.jpg

Just watch out for this guy:
oldmanemu.jpg

:flipoff2:
:cheers:

I just realized it was ten years ago when I hiked in from Loon Lake because I didn't think my rig was up to the challenge.

Check out my first impressions the trail and Rubithon Event:

Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Rubithon Circa 1999

There were a couple wagons on the trail:
s24.jpg

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom