THE 60 BUILD DEC UPDATE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JimJ

ATOYOHOLIC
Threads
Website
www.nanaimojim.com
Well my plan was to have the 60 completed in time for a Christmas road trip to visit my kid but I dont think so...but today was a huge milestone...she fired up and is starting with the key running!! woohoo!!!

Its amazing how much there is to learn about these old 60 series trucks, it seems every model and years uses different parts, nothing makes sense until it makes sense. LOL Again, I really want to thank eveyone in our club who called to check in and generously offer phone support and valuable advise especially around getting the transfer case shifter to work and that pesky EDIC system installed to the 62 loom.

So good news, after many sleepless hours of reading and looking at electrical schematics I sort of get what the edic does and what all of the rainbow of colored wires coming out of it are for! ha-ha. It seems to me like a good system. A few members suggested I simply use a Toyota choke cable for shut down and I was going to go that way but only if Dave and I couldn’t sort the edic system out. Those diagrams you sent me really helped big time! The only wire that was a real mind bender was one larger black wire that said “unknown" on the diagrams but later we found out it needed to be wired directly to the positive (yup black wire) terminal on the battery. There is a low oil pressure emergency shut down wire too, but I dont have the sender on the engine, so I might just wire in a small 12v alarm later on. I included a photo of where we mounted it to the fire wall. It was sure exciting to see the arm move on the fuel control box on the engine and she fired up with one quick push of the temporary Wilson switch. She donest smoke and runs like an old farm tractor...purrrrfectly!

In case anyone ever needs a late model transfer case shifter assembly, I now know it is possibly to heat bend a older 4sp T-Case one into shape for the 5sp conversion! That’s working smoothly now too.

So due to the close proximity of the turbo, even if clocked, to the vacuum booster and master, we went with a Hydro Boost system. It seems to have more room for cooling from the exhaust side of the turbo now, but might have to add a small heat shield. This is still a work in progress but should have incredible braking power. All brake lines are plumbed in and are using an adjustable proportioning vlave system for balancing front to back.

I used those shocks Dan, thanks again and I am looking for a front sway bar now. I ordered the lift kit sway bar bushings and parts. Also managed to find the front shock towers too and still need to bolt them onto the frame. Looking for a T Case skid plate too.

I found the manual transmission pedals in a parts truck and went out in a pissing down rainstorm to get them. What I didn’t realize after working for 2 hours and soaking wet is that the whole dash has to come out to get at the top plate bolts! I thought it was welded in there and would have to be air chiselled or drilled out. Duh! Once I figured it out I went back on a niceer day and got them out. They are installed and working like a charm.

Oh ya the old radiator looks crusty but hey it is holding water and pressure so far so good. Luckily I found a brand new 60 diesel rad from a fellow Toyota hoarder and will install that one later on after I know all the bugs are worked out of her.

The to-do-list is long....and to add more to my list I’m considering adding an intercooler if there is one small enough to fit in front of the radiator and behind the grill. I don’t think these old 2H motors make much power or heat so might not even need one? anyone have any thoughts on this idea let me know.

Well sure can’t wait to get her done and back out wheeling and camping with everyone again in 2022.

Felice Navi Da!

IMG_7355.jpg

IMG_7366.jpg

IMG_7369.jpg

IMG_7371.jpg

Cool. More info on that brake hydrobooster. Very curious

X2

What hydro booster did you use? Did you get a P/S pump from a hydro boost setup with two return lines?

I’ve been studying up on Saginaw pumps… and have seen quite a bit about boosting pressure and volume. What pump are you running? Any mods for hydro boost?

Oh ya the old radiator looks crusty but hey it is holding water and pressure so far so good. Luckily I found a brand new 60 diesel rad from a fellow Toyota hoarder and will install that one later on after I know all the bugs are worked out of her.

The to-do-list is long....and to add more to my list I’m considering adding an intercooler if there is one small enough to fit in front of the radiator and behind the grill. I don’t think these old 2H motors make much power or heat so might not even need one? anyone have any thoughts on this idea let me know.

Turbo'ed IDI motors run hot! That new rad is a great thing to have; good score on that. Maybe pre-emptively buy a brand new viscous clutch for your fan from Toyota also. Don't buy an aftermarket one as it won't cut it. Don't forget a new Toyota T-stat also. Between new Rad/FanClutch/Tstat, you should be good to go.

Definitely spend the $$ to go with a FMIC also. The 2H will really wake up with the turbo power wise, but will definitely run hotter also. An intercooler will take a lot of heat stress out of the motor and is well worth the investment for longevity and efficiency.

Thanks for sharing your project Jim!

Morning Cruiser pilot, I used to see them when I worked at the brake shop back in the day and now it seems they are getting to be a rare thing...except with race car guys. I remember that the Hyroboost produced a lot better braking on heavy trucks and they used them a lot on diesel powered trucks. The Hydroboost got popular again in the late 80s through to the 90s and where used on a lot of Ford Mustang GT and Cobras. I needed my lines to come out on the fender side and was lucky to find a very old stock one from a early 90s Astro Van (oh boy) and am using a detached adjustable proportianing valve to get the balance correct for and back to front discs. Here is a very good link with lots of info Hydro-Boost Brake System for 1979-1993 Ford Mustang - https://www.powerbrakeservice.net/new-1980-1987-ford-mustang-hydroboost-brake-booster.html

X2

What hydro booster did you use? Did you get a P/S pump from a hydro boost setup with two return lines?

I’ve been studying up on Saginaw pumps… and have seen quite a bit about boosting pressure and volume. What pump are you running? Any mods for hydro boost?
Hey brother, nope just plummed into the existing Toyota power steering pump and yes Dave made me a small adaptor to bolt the Hydrboost to the stock firewall location. I finally located and then purchased a stock HJ60 PS resevoir from Dan out at 4-wheel Auto in Alberta and thats in the stock mounting position, but its too mounted low and power steering fluid is backing up and leaking out the top a bit. Its getting relocated to a higher location this week hoping that solves things or might have to buy a Wildwood aftermarket resevoir. Its a bit of trial and error.

Turbo'ed IDI motors run hot! That new rad is a great thing to have; good score on that. Maybe pre-emptively buy a brand new viscous clutch for your fan from Toyota also. Don't buy an aftermarket one as it won't cut it. Don't forget a new Toyota T-stat also. Between new Rad/FanClutch/Tstat, you should be good to go.

Definitely spend the $$ to go with a FMIC also. The 2H will really wake up with the turbo power wise, but will definitely run hotter also. An intercooler will take a lot of heat stress out of the motor and is well worth the investment for longevity and efficiency.

Thanks for sharing your project Jim!
Thanks for the info, I dont have a lot of Turbo experience, played around with them years ago. Oh and good news that a new or remanned Toyota clutch fan with the truck and its already installed on the engine!
OK thanks for your advice on adding an FMIC to this build. I am going to search threads to see what other builds used that fit behnd the front grill without having to modify it.
This one looks slick: VRSF Performance HD Intercooler FMIC Upgrade Kit 07-12 135i/335i/X1 N54 & N55 E82/E84/E90/E92 - https://www.parkautomotorsports.ca/products/vrsf-street-intercooler-fmic-upgrade-kit-07-12-135i-335i-535i-x1-z4-n54-n55-e82-e84-e89-e60-e90-e92

Thanks for the info, I dont have a lot of Turbo experience, played around with them years ago. Oh and good news that a new or remanned Toyota clutch fan with the truck and its already installed on the engine!
OK thanks for your advice on adding an FMIC to this build. I am going to search threads to see what other builds used that fit behnd the front grill without having to modify it.
This one looks slick: VRSF Performance HD Intercooler FMIC Upgrade Kit 07-12 135i/335i/X1 N54 & N55 E82/E84/E90/E92 - https://www.parkautomotorsports.ca/products/vrsf-street-intercooler-fmic-upgrade-kit-07-12-135i-335i-535i-x1-z4-n54-n55-e82-e84-e89-e60-e90-e92

Talk to @cruiserpilot about the one he made for his 12HT that looks great and works well.

Personally I think 2" pipe is fine though and no need to go larger (makes it easier to route piping). 2" intercooler pipe will easily flow the CFM's of a 2H turbo.

Talk to @cruiserpilot about the one he made for his 12HT that looks great and works well.

Personally I think 2" pipe is fine though and no need to go larger (makes it easier to route piping). 2" intercooler pipe will easily flow the CFM's of a 2H turbo.
Hey Nick, there is a 2LTE diesel engine for parts for sale on Marketplace

Hey Nick, there is a 2LTE diesel engine for parts for sale on Marketplace

Thanks Jim! Yeah, saw it. I think if my motor breaks it'll be the perfect excuse for something better tho! Haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom