testing the lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While i had my dash off when i was removing my cd player for replacement i realized that the diff switch was not even hooked up. ealry i had thought my diff lock was not functioning right and this verified this. of course i hooked the switch up and in my driveway today i wanted to test them. i put the truck in neutral and then locked both front and rear diffs. didnt really hear much but then put it in low. i went toward a small 2-3 foot snow hill and didnt even make it up on it. about 3/4 the way up my rear drivers side tire started spinning as if not even locked. i noticed that both lights on the dash were flashing. how can i tell if the diff lock is functioning right b/c it sure felt as if they werent. thanks

well, I cant offer much info, but as long as those lights are blinking, they are NOT locked. They will become solid when locked. It sometimes does take a while for them

to lock if they arnt used alot. When I got my truck they hadent been used ever i think and for the first 10 times I locked them it took almost a minute. What you can do is

find a dirt or gravel road, put the truck in low (CDL has to be locked for the FF/FR to engage), then flip the switch and do sharp zig zags slowly for a while and see if they

lock. If after like 5 min. of doing this they dont lock, then it might be your actuator. I dont know anything about the actuator sticking problem, but it has been addressed a

few times. Do a search and you should find some info. I also beleve Mr. Slee has done a write up on rebuilding it on his site: www.Sleeoffroad.com .

Good luck :beer:

Damn sorry beowulf,

If you'll remember the last time i asked this similar question i noted that the lights in the dash didnt even come on. i also stated in the beginning of this post that just recently when removing the dash i found the switch was unplugged so this is really a different question then before. sorry everything seems to irritate you and if you remembered my post from july 28th maybe you shouldnt have read this post. also you thing that interest me, why do you have so much dam free time.

Cruiserhead05,

Both times, you asked how to test if the diff locks are working right. The testing procedure doesn't change with time or with what you have or haven't tried.

>> why do you have so much dam free time. <<

'cuz I studied in high school, graduated from college, and got a good job. They didn't have much on the internet back then. :D

-B-

Children, its almost 12/25 the day celebrate Nimrod's b-day, my b-day and we recognize JC b-day.
Lets make it a good one.
CH, try and use the search when possable, that will make -B- happy.

[Hijack of a useless thread]

Kurt, So your birthday is on Christmas Day? Who is Nimrod?

-B-

>> married his mom <<
Musta been one of Junk's ancestors. :D
-B-

Now I know it was one of Junk's ancestors.

In doing some due diligence using Google, it was discovered that Nimrod married his older sister, who was his mother due to incest with his father. So, his mother was his sister and his wife. The story gets more weird but that's enough for now.

Thanks Kurt. :D

-B-

When testing the lockers you must go to the person selling it and ask "what does this knob do"? they wont know so you toss it in low on nice hard pavement and give it a twist. make sure all the lights come on and then cut the wheel real hard while backing up till you hear the POP .
Tell them its a POS dosnt handle right on the road and pulls all over . Tell them to take 5K off the price and you'll take it off there hands since the 4wd is "F"ed and will need big $ to fix.
So you'll need to take care of getting a Brif. but hell it was going to need a knuckle overhaul any how :D

:flipoff2:

Todd,
Don't try to get this F'd up thread back on track!!!

Though I think your suggestion to CH is right on target, especially since it's his mom's (sister/wife?) truck. :D

-B-

Damn, that chic musta been [glow=red,2,300]HOT[/glow]!!! :-*

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=9064;start=msg78858#msg78858 date=1072063796]
In doing some due diligence using Google, it was discovered that Nimrod married his older sister, who was his mother due to incest with his father. So, his mother was his sister and his wife. The story gets more weird but that's enough for now.
[/quote]

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=9064;start=msg78884#msg78884 date=1072066137]
I think I will change my name to Nimrod.
But them I would have to start at 0 posts.
[/quote]
No you won't, you can change your name and retain everything else.
Remember, Fat Kid used to be Mr Mcgee.

darn, I missed the beginning of this thread, but glad all the same that I'm not the only one BW is harassing...
:D
Eric

BeoWulf, What should i do if my Center diff lock is not kicking in when i put the truck in low. i think this is my big problem. since for the front and rear to work the center has to be locked. i have noticed that when i do put the truck in low the center doesnt even lock which explains why the others wont..

CH,

There are a couple of threads with hints on diagnosing a center diff that isn't locking. I believe Phaedrus (aka FaVe) is also debugging a malfunctioning center diff lock. Read through some of his threads and the assistance offered.

For starters, you need to be sure everything is hooked up correctly. It's a little suspect when you say your F&R diff lock switch wasn't hooked up. Someone disconnected that switch and it didn't come from Toyota that way. There are a couple of electrical connectors on top of the transfer case. Make sure both of those are connected.

Can you hear the center diff motor trying to engage the lock?

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom