testing the lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beo,

i'll try to read up a little more on this subject and no i cant hear anything trying to engage when i put the transfercase in low or when turning the front and rear diff lock switch

>> and no i cant hear anything trying to engage when i put the transfercase in low <<

This is your first clue to solving the problem. Make sure this is a true statement. Get under the truck with someone you trust at the wheel. Have them put the truck in N, then with their foot firmly on the brake, have them put it in Low range, then shift into D. You should hear an electric motor that is engaging the center diff lock mechanism. If not, there is a wire disconnected somewhere. Have them shift back into N, then back to High range, then shift the tranny to D. You should hear the CD disengage (again, you'll hear an electric motor)

Do you have the EWD and the FSM for your truck? If not, you need to get these if you are trying to do your own maintenance. There are probably some posts with diagrams and pics of the transfer case wiring harness but I cannot remember what year and which threads.

-B-

Thanks beowulf,

one more question though. since my diff switch was unhooked it would come as no suprise if for some reason the relay for the CDL was undone to. Where is the relay for the CD. i know it is addressed alot in safado's post about the CD but it doesnt seem to give a good description of its location.

is it down close to your feet in the front. behind those plastic panels or up under the dash.

This is from Safado's post

Remove the dead pedal and the left front sill plate. In the left kick panel you will find a Silver metal box. That is the ABS ECU. Remove it, and behind you will find a black plastic relay about the size of a cigarette pack. It says "transmission control relay" on it. That's what you are after. The EWD calls it the "center diff lock relay", same thing. Unplug the harness from it and take a terminal pick and remove the black wire with blue tracer from pin#7. Insulate the bare terminal to suit and then put everything else back where you found it.

Exactly what is it you find confusing?

>> is it down close to your feet in the front. behind those plastic panels <<

Yes. "Those plastic panels" are called kick panels. The one close to your feet, assuming you are sitting in the driver seat, is the left kick panel.

-B-

Well B you gave him more info than I was prepared to do. I got the impression that he didn't even make an attempt to follow the instructions. Figured we be here spoon feeding him for the next decade or so.

thanks, Dead panel and left front sill plate dont exactly explain it that will well. is it me or is the 80 series crowd more grouchy that the 40-60's

I don't see how that stuff could become disconnected...are you the original owner. I'd start under the rig, check all the wires that plug into the top of the tranny. Then I would follow those wires from the tranny toward the engine, and make sure one isn't toasted/torn or otherwise f'd...If the wires are all in good condition....then check something else simple
Question to the more cruiser wise.... Any fuses related to the CDL etc...I'm at work and my EWD's at home...maybe check that..then rip out yoour kick plates and go for the cigarette shaped junction box

Jeff

There are two fuses related to the CDL both in the fuse panel on the lower left instrument panel, The 10A "gauge" fuse, center row 2nd from the top and a 30A "diff" fuse, right size 5th from the top.

First it's a Dead Pedal and a sill plate.

Ok I'm grouchy, but I've done tech support over the years and it tends to tick me when somebody repeatedly asks the same basic question over and over again.

See the funny thing is that the sill plate is attached to the kick panel. SO if you had removed the sill plate the kick panel would not have been an issue. So by asking about the kick panel first we get the idea that you're not even trying to resolve this issue because finding the sill plate would have been your first logical follow up question.

This thing is not going to resolve itself or by asking a bunch of uninformed questions. Dig in, look around, pay attention and try a few of the senarios that have been mentioned and then get back to us with some pertainate questions based on the previous suggestions.

Read the other threads. Someone asks a question, we make some recommendations, they try those recommendations and if needed they ask more questions based on their experience with those recommendations. It is a simple and effective way to a quick resolution if it is within our ability to do so.

Don't listen too much to Rick. He isn't the very patiented type. :slap:

But he is always good for a proper advice. :cheers:

I think this crowd here and on the other board is not very different. We have many types of members here and that is the reason why we all check this board daily. Everyday there is something interesting to find.

Just keep it up and don't get be scared by some of our tough guys. :D

Mike

>> is it me or is the 80 series crowd more grouchy that the 40-60's <<

It's you.

-B-

The 40 croud didn't like the 60. The 60 was a family vehicle. The 80 came out and it was a yuppy vehicle, so the 40 and 60 croud got together against the 80 croud. As soon as the 100 get popular the 40,60and 80 croud will down the 100 people :D

[quote author=Cruiserhead05 link=board=2;threadid=9064;start=msg80036#msg80036 date=1072290207]
thats true land toy but what if you own all four?

[/quote]

Then you are rich !!!

Mike

CH,

Follow these instructions on SLEE.
http://sleeoffroad.com/installation/difflock_install.htm
Check the CDL location in the dash. Could be the PO had a CDL switch installed and took it with him without replacing the terminating plug
Also check the final instructions to Disable the CDL in Low Range. The instructions tell you exactly where to look for on the x-fer case for the plug.

I'd check those before tearing into the kick panel. I detailed the Pin7 mod for Christo to post, but don't know when he'll have it up with the holidays upon us.

Merry Christmas!!!!

thanks safado,

i'll look into that. i doubt the past owner had a switch installed and took it out when he sold it b/c we bought it from a dealer when it had 30k miles on it but its definatley worth checking out. the diff lcok switch was undone so its likely the cdl could be disconnected too. i'm hopinh thats all it is or maybe a blwon fuse. thanks

Safado, just went out and checked this out. the fused related to the cdl are all fine, the connect behing the dash it fine as it should be as christo describes. i will know check the kick panel relay connection and keep my figures crossed. if its not this i think its going to be out of my league, unless of course its a wire somewhere else though. thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom