Temp Gauge Fluctuating Too Much (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My gauge seems to fluctuate a bit too much too quickly. I noticed this with the old radiator/t-stat and the new Mishimoto/t-stat. It will live mostly at about mid-mark, but ease up to a needle width + past half way in just a few seconds...then ease back down to about 1/3 on the gauge...then ease back up to half way.

It used to not be so "busy." Any ideas?

Thats usually the classic poor ground of the temperature meter. Search "spiking temp gauge" or something like that. There's lots & lots of info about this pesky problem.
Usually it's the ground in the Fuel gauge that messes with the temperature gauge. The easiest remedy in the past was just to replace the FUEL gauge. But since they're NLA, and used ones will do the same thing, it's best to clean up the ground contacts in the fuel gage (not temp gauge). There's info on that too

I just bought one from Amayama (whatever that spelling is) straight from Japan a few days ago for $31, shipping brought it to almost $41.

DB0D5AE5-1990-4FE3-9080-67B57A0B3EC9.png

If you can, don’t buy used unless you know from the seller that it was from a recently working cluster.

Reactions: OSS
Thats usually the classic poor ground of the temperature meter. Search "spiking temp gauge" or something like that. There's lots & lots of info about this pesky problem.
Usually it's the ground in the Fuel gauge that messes with the temperature gauge. The easiest remedy in the past was just to replace the FUEL gauge. But since they're NLA, and used ones will do the same thing, it's best to clean up the ground contacts in the fuel gage (not temp gauge). There's info on that too

Good to know. We had to open up the fuel gauge years ago to clean it up...getting our direction from here. Sounds like it's time again.

Thanks to all.

Good luck!

Fluctuating temp gauges can also be the result of air bubbles in your cooling system. Can you verify your system is full and burped?

Well the fuel gauge I was hoping I’d got lucky on w/ Amayama is now showing ‘out of stock.’

41DB1D1A-4E2F-4803-BCFD-54F17D6D0574.png

Fluctuating temp gauges can also be the result of air bubbles in your cooling system. Can you verify your system is full and burped?

It's a good question. In driving yesterday it seems to have settled down a bit, staying pretty stable at mid-level. Since the Mishimoto radiator just went on and the entire system was flushed before adding the Toyota Red and distilled water, it may have just needed some time to work out bubbles. I'll have to keep an eye on it next time it goes out which will be this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom