Tarp over top of LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting ready to put an ARB basket rack on my 80. Since it will no longer fit in the garage, I am thinking of ways to protect it. As it’s routinely driven, I don’t think I want to hassle with a full cover. I’m considering a high quality tarp that would stretch from the front ARB bumper to the rear of the roof rack. Possibly held in place buy stout all rubber bungies. It would provide protection and also be easy on and off. Thoughts on this and is anyone else using this approach?

get an ARB flat rack and avoid the hassle?

The tarp over the rack will create a wading pool. I had an ARB basket rack on my FJ60 roof for 20 years. No covers.
I had a plywood floor on it so a person or two could walk around up there.
I sprayed Boeshield anti-corrosion spray which dries to a wax film in the roof gutters every few years and the gutters never developed any rust after 20 years near the beach.

You’ll want to remove the rack maybe every 3 years or so to wash and wax the roof. It needs that. I didn’t do that and my roof developed lots of tiny little rust spots developing.

The steel rack is made of steel obviously and eventually the paint on the rack will break down especially on the corners that get rubbed hard - and start rusting.
Plan on repainting or powder coating the rack every 5-6 years or so if you want to keep it looking great.
There’s so many surfaces on it - painting it is a bear.

I thought I’d outsmart the paint and decided to galvanize it. Bad Idea. The tubes have to be galvanized on the inside too. The rack gained 25 lbs of zinc. What used to be a manageable 75 lbs rack turned into an extremely heavy 100 lbs rack. Major bummer.

If I were to do it all over again (and had the money) I’d DEFINITELY get the aluminum ARB rack. Its way worth it in lighter weight and no rust.

Tarp and bungees are gonna beat up on the rig over time.

Tarps will wind whip and rub off the paint wherever it touches. It also holds moisture under it, making condensation repeat over and over. It will cause rust over time.

A lean to carport would be better.

Hi, Roof racks can decrease gas mileage considerable, they also rot out roofs. Personally mine stay off unless I need it which is not often.

I'm trying to figure out if this would attract the meth-heads, or repel them because they would think you're one of them. I assume it works a bit like zombies.

I've really only ever heard good things about mobile carports.

If it’s a choice between a tarp and nothing, always go with nothing. The tarp will contain moisture, and allow grit or the tarp itself to affect the paint.

We have a 1964 BeeLine camper that was my grandparent's. That camper was awesome, all wood inside and everything was in perfect shape with zero water leaks. My father put a tarp over it for one winter thinking it would help preserve it, and it completely destroyed the camper inside. Mold like you would never belive. Tarps create a greenhouse effect with moisture and will rot it right out. Take the rack off and put it in the garage, or get a car port like gummy suggested.

Well, I appreciate the feedback. What got me thinking is my buddy has had a tarp on his trailer at the deer lease for 5 years with no condensation problems (replaced every 3 years). I don’t think I would have a condensation problem on the LC as I would be removing it every day or two to drive it. Hassle/yes but I want to protect the LC and carport is not an option in my neighborhood, maybe I need to move, lol. Also my two car garage is full with two other vehicles. So I’m thinking about a solution that would be easy to remove and not rub the paint. That’s why I thought a narrow top, just covering the width of the vehicle would work. In fact the ARB rack should elevate the tarp and allow good air flow. The only place it might touch the paint would be on the hood and maybe I could fashion a connection point that would allow a straight shot from the rack avoiding contact with the hood. But you are right, water would pool up unless I fashioned a bow or something in the ridge line. I know this is not optimum, just trying to think out of the box.

One can never have a big enough garage 😆 I am in the same boat, actually put my lx up for sale to free up garage space but decided I can't let it go. Now my garage houses my lx and my kubota tractor and the two other vehicles will ride out the winters outside. The tractor needs to be out of wind so it will start up in freezing Temps for snow removal.

Maybe kick one of the two vehicles out of the garage unless they're worth more to you than your 80. I'm with everyone else on this one, no good will come out of tarping it.

I use a Harbor Freight 10 x 20 canopy. Anchor it with buckets of rocks. Handy if you are a prospector or rockpicker. Very affordable. Last 2 to 3 years for me.

Car ports are good too and give you some coverage when you are working on the rig

Avoid using a tarp at all costs.

Totally agree with others, a tarp will rub your paint, cause rust, and can help trap moisture within the vehicle.

A tarp gives a false sense of protection, the reality is you're less than / worse than protected.

Temporary carport or nothing.
And then make sure to check it for leaks on occasion.

I lost my hzj105 cruiser to black mould after it got water in it while stored partly under cover, and leaked.
Several attempts to clean and treat it failed. It was a rolling penicillin farm and a health hazard!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom