Talk me into buying a 200 series (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Six years ago the economy and car market was very different, particularly pre-covid. I don't think what someone paid new for it is relevant today. IMO, it’s a good price considering the current market of similar spec'd LCs.
I guess that’s the case. Heck I’ve even seen Civics and Corollas going for prices that reflect almost no depreciation. I suppose my post was more a protest than realistic. Prices are what the market will bear……..

Sequoia…. And spend the saved cash on a convertible to appease the mid life crisis

As others have mentioned, if you don’t off-road and aren’t a LC cult person, there are far better family hauler options.

Edit: honestly though I love the LX and the quality/ driver feel. I couldn’t downgrade myself to a sequoia

Last edited:
Drive both back to back (with your family) and the decision will likely make itself evident.

The Sequoia is undoubtably much larger inside, but it's cheaper and rougher feeling, too. If there's a $20k difference, consider whether that price premium is worth it to you, and what else that $20k can give you.

With basic maintenance and without excessive abuse, both will easily last 20 years.

Interior of the second gen sequoia and tundra are so Fisher Price though…

IMG_5265.jpeg

If you squint your eyes it could be a 2010s Dodge Ram.

Nothing wrong with buying the one that makes you feel something.

I guess that’s the case. Heck I’ve even seen Civics and Corollas going for prices that reflect almost no depreciation. I suppose my post was more a protest than realistic. Prices are what the market will bear……..
I sold my GX460 for more money than I paid for it after 4 years and 40,000 miles of driving it. Feb 2020 to January 2024.

Also, I've been selling parts that I had stripped off of my F150 before trading it in and I am breaking even on almost everything.

Drive both back to back (with your family) and the decision will likely make itself evident.

The Sequoia is undoubtably much larger inside, but it's cheaper and rougher feeling, too. If there's a $20k difference, consider whether that price premium is worth it to you, and what else that $20k can give you.

With basic maintenance and without excessive abuse, both will easily last 20 years.
Or buy an LX for the same price as the Sequoia and get the premium for no extra charge. :rofl:

Interior of the second gen sequoia and tundra are so Fisher Price though…

View attachment 3581219
If you squint your eyes it could be a 2010s Dodge Ram.

Nothing wrong with buying the one that makes you feel something.

It really is. I was looking at the Sequoias too and was having serious issue with the interior. Even my 2014 F150 interior made the 2021 Sequoias feel so out of date.

Hell, my $17000 2018 Chevy Bolt is less Fisher Price.

Even my 2014 F150 interior made the 2021 Sequoias feel so out of date.

LOL. Out of date was what I liked. Knobs for radio, HVAC, not a touch screen, etc. Rockers for most everything else. No stop/start, and all other safety features (lane departure, rear X traffic, etc), could be permanently turned off. I am never selling this classic!

LOL. Out of date was what I liked. Knobs for radio, HVAC, not a touch screen, etc. Rockers for most everything else. No stop/start, and all other safety features (lane departure, rear X traffic, etc), could be permanently turned off. I am never selling this classic!

My F150 had knobs and switches for everything too . . . . No start/stop either.

None of those things necessitate it being a Fischer Price interior that looks like its from some EV Startup's first attempt at building a truck.

A 2018+ Sequoia will have a touch screen.

None of those things necessitate it being a Fischer Price interior that looks like its from some EV Startup's first attempt at building a truck.

A 2018+ Sequoia will have a touch screen.

Fisher Price, I do not even know what that means. But I guess I like it cause I have no complaints.

It does have a touch screen, but major functions like radio, HVAC have buttons too. So if screen fails, I can still use radio and HVAC. Though radio is mostly controlled via steering wheel in both my Sequoia and LC200.

The LC won't fit 2 adults, 2 kids, dog, luggage for humans, dog's stuff, for a 1 week road trip. You'll need stuff on the roof, an external hitch-mounted carrier, or a small trailer to carry all the stuff. I have one kid, and one 85 pound dog, and they take up the back seat. and after you pack luggage, dog bed and accessories, the back end is full and you kind of feel like sardines in the cruiser. I love my LC's but if I had two kids and a dog, without a small gear trailer, the LC would not work for weeks on the road visiting national parks and other road trips. It really isn't THAT big inside.

wife 2 kids and 65lb dog- roof top bag for the win. Kids in 2nd row and dog in the trunk

IMG_6577.jpeg

Last edited:
Sequoia is probably the better fit for you as others have mentioned honestly, but the 200 series will make you happy and scratch that itch. Ive had a bunch of Land Cruisers, been in various SUV's, mid and full size trucks - RAM 2500 Cummins etc but there is nothing like a Land Cruiser. Yes there are some cons to both, but if you 'want' a cruiser, get the cruiser - either one will work for your needs. I have a family of 5, and it works just fine in my LX570 and I dont use the rear seats.(in fact removing them soon). In markets in EMEA, the land cruiser is the largest SUV you can get, and some of those markets dont have minivans - families cope just fine with a land cruiser. If you dont use if for offroading and IF you ever want to sell it one day - you'll get better money for it - original, never been off road etc. I'd shop in around the 45k-60k range, you can pick up a decent 200 - the LC or the LX for that price - and you'd get a bit more and a better deal with the LX. Same vehicle, just spec'd different - suspension, front and rear etc. Just dont get one with 21 inch wheels like I did, LMAO.
Good Luck!

Thanks to all that have taken the time to reply. Sigh. I’m still torn. The more I research I do about LC the more get sucked into the “coolness” of them. They are just so dang COOL! I hear what people are saying about sequoia being roomier, perhaps better suited to my needs, etc. I’m def done having kids (made sure of it), so the family isn’t growing anymore.

When we go camping, we have a small trailer we pull that can store all our camping gear, so won’t need much room in the back for gear. I do wonder, would you be able to have one half of the third row down for a my wife if she needs to tend the kids, and the other one flipped up and still have room for the dog on the floor in the rear? Or does it still take up too much room when flipped up? Otherwise I like the suggestion of the dog hammock in the third row of the LC.

I don’t love the look of the Lexus, at least not the last couple years models. They scream suburban mom just as much as a sequoia to me. At least w a sequoia i could make it look meaner with accessories (trd or otherwise).

I think what it comes down to for me is knowing that in my heart of hearts I want a Land Cruiser. Whether that’s all due to ego, midlife crisis, or not. I like how over-engineered they are. I like that they are somewhat rare now. I like that they have capabilities that I probably won’t use much, but I could if I wanted to.

Ok one more question. I saw one at a dealership on the east coast that looked great, low miles and less expensive by about 10k than any near me. Cost to ship is around $2200. Would it be dumb to buy it without seeing in person and having it shipped? Maybe finding a Land Cruiser mechanic over there to look it over beforehand?

Sequoia is probably the better fit for you as others have mentioned honestly, but the 200 series will make you happy and scratch that itch. Ive had a bunch of Land Cruisers, been in various SUV's, mid and full size trucks - RAM 2500 Cummins etc but there is nothing like a Land Cruiser. Yes there are some cons to both, but if you 'want' a cruiser, get the cruiser - either one will work for your needs. I have a family of 5, and it works just fine in my LX570 and I dont use the rear seats.(in fact removing them soon). In markets in EMEA, the land cruiser is the largest SUV you can get, and some of those markets dont have minivans - families cope just fine with a land cruiser. If you dont use if for offroading and IF you ever want to sell it one day - you'll get better money for it - original, never been off road etc. I'd shop in around the 45k-60k range, you can pick up a decent 200 - the LC or the LX for that price - and you'd get a bit more and a better deal with the LX. Same vehicle, just spec'd different - suspension, front and rear etc. Just dont get one with 21 inch wheels like I did, LMAO.
Good Luck!
Thanks! There is a 2018 LC near me with 67k miles for $60k. There is also a 2018 LC near me with 43k miles for $72k. Would you pay the extra $12k for the lower mileage? I only drive about 7500 miles a year, not a ton.

Good Luck!
This helped a lot, thanks

Get the Sequoia. I have both a 21 LC/HE and a 21 Sequoia. If you are not going off-road the Sequoia is the choice by far. It is a great touring vehicle for a family + dog.

Longest Lasting Vehicles, both are winners:

1. Toyota Sequoia

Potential lifespan: 296,509 miles

In a separate study, iSeeCars.com analyzed over 260 million cars sold between 2012 and 2022 to find the probability that a vehicle would make it more than 250,000 miles. They calculated average odometer readings for each vehicle at each yearly age to estimate the chances that a vehicle would last that long. The Sequoia came in with a 47.1% chance of going a quarter million miles.

2. Toyota Land Cruiser

Potential lifespan: 280,236 miles

The Land Cruiser indicated a 47.9% chance of lasting 250,000+ miles.
Great points. I’m literally teetering between practical reality of a sequoia vs the cool factor of the LC

NextGen Sequoia is unusable with 2 kids and a big dog.

My 21 Sequoia was supposed to be just a place holder till the NextGen came out, but when it came out it was a major disappointment for space. There is no place for a big dog or dog crate at all with the 3rd row and big shelf. Never mind your luggage. snowboards, etc.
Agree, 3rd gen sequoia really messed up the cargo area. It’s so bad I can’t overlook it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom