Tailgate window lift problems and questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Captn Conch

Life Begins Above Timberline.
Threads
I've read all the posts here pertaining to rehab of tailgate window lift but now that I'm doing it found problems.

Got the hi dollar steel gear from SOR and put that in, marked the position of the lifts when pulled out, but came across a problem upon reassembly.
There is the little 2 hole threaded bar that fits in a recessed slot that the long screws tap into to mount motor/gear assembly. Upon screwing the gear cover on and reattaching the motor unit the two long screws would not thread. spent more than an hour puzzled, gave up flipped it over later and happened to spy one end of the bar through one of the holes in the lift arm. Bar looks trapped and pinched in there out of it's recessed slot , between the arm and sheet metal the sheet metal, can barely move it. No clue how it got there. I connected the wiring with lift assy sitting on top of gate. Think I ought to hook up the juice and work it up and down to see if it can reseat? Looks like lift components are riveted on with no screws to disassemble the lift arms and get the bar into position. Frustrating!

Also during this procedure the arms did somehow move to a wider position so getting it back in the gate won't happen until they are more in the lifted position. do I put the juice to it and work switch till they align to my original marked position? Otherwise how do you move those arms? I can't figure how they moved a good inch and a half after I marked them . Someway to manually muscle them into previous position?

Thanks for input or thoughts.

I pulled a hot wire from the battery and a body ground (connected to W/B motor lead) and touched the two other motor leads alternately until I had it where I needed it. I didn't have any problem getting it back into the tracks under the window but had to tweak the position to get the bolt holes to line up. If your controls work then you might be able to just wire it up and move it in place. I have a wiring issue, I think, which is why I pulled hot straight off the battery.

The only way to move the arms manually is remove the motor, but watch out those springs are very strong and will snap back. I use a c clamp on one arm and hold it down firm. The flat bar should be able to fall free once you can move the arms. Maybe try with the motor, but it might jam up tighter. She's a son a gun to work on.

Make sure the two geared arms are in the right position with each other. I think they need to be 4 or 5 teeth different, other wise the glass will bind going up cocked.

IMG_1938.JPG

Those two bottom screws on the motor gearbox are what you're talking about right? When you take the motor out hold those springs from snapping back.

IMG_1987.JPG

There is the little 2 hole threaded bar that fits in a recessed slot that the long screws tap into to mount motor/gear assembly. Upon screwing the gear cover on and reattaching the motor unit the two long screws would not thread. spent more than an hour puzzled, gave up flipped it over later and happened to spy one end of the bar through one of the holes in the lift arm. Bar looks trapped and pinched in there out of it's recessed slot , between the arm and sheet metal the sheet metal, can barely move it. No clue how it got there.

Thanks for input or thoughts.

Any way for you to post a couple pictures?

Yes, the 2 larger & longer of the 6 screws of the gear case cover that actually mount the motor assembly to the plate and have to thread on to that errant bar piece.
I guess that's what happened they snapped back, I didn't really notice when I removed the motor assy, but come to think I believe I did hear something go when the small gear cleared the teeth of the lift.
Yes my controls work. It is a SOB to work on I'm finding out.

I'll try to get pics up in the morning.

Here are some pics, I going to start working on it this evening. tip of the bar that threads and holds the motor down.
fj55 rear window stuff 059.jpg

fj55 rear window stuff 060.jpg

and below the recessed area the bar should be in.
fj55 rear window stuff 062.jpg

I like to clamp the main body piece in a bench vise and then c clamp an arm to the main body then remove the motor. You can then slowly release the grip on the c clamp while firmly holding an arm, you can then move the arms up and down until the bracket comes loose. Hopefully without blood shed.

Good luck man!

With A Little Help from My Mud Friends, I got it installed. I did remove motor assy and then with a ratchet tie down I pulled the arms together to the marks I scratched in, and reinstalled motor, threaded bar returned to the recess and was able to screw all together.

BTW I replaced my junction strip with a new one I found on Amazon. Seachoice 4 gang terminal block # 13561 $5 free ship ordered yesterday came today, 1 day shipping, just as I tightened down the bolts here came the mailman with the terminal! Big improvement. Yesterday looked bleak today all is clicking! Yeah Baby!

Now to clean up and paint the strip that goes on the bottom of window with the tabs and sew it all up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom