Tailgate weatherstripping???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I keep hearing and reading hints and rumors about someone trying to make a run of repro ones. Anyone care to elaborate? There are lots of folks in need and everyone always freaks out when a set go up for sale. So, what are some other options? Anyone have part #'s for what they are using? I have also heard about using later model 4Runner weatherstripping. Anyone care to clarify that rumor? I recently acquired a new pig and the PO replaced the outer gasket that the glass slides up and down in but it does not look OEM, close but not exactly. It works well. I'll go snap some pics and share in a few minutes. So, what has everyone else used to replce the weatherstripping around the glass or what about the gasket that sits along the tailgate edge itself. I also need to replace the 'U' shaped gasket that holds the tailgate glass into the window mechanism. IIRC SOR did not have any of these and claimed they were no longer available. Should I try the dealer or find a cheap alternate from JCwhitney or something??

I'm currently trying to figure out what's up with this - three different guys on the 55 list are supposedly working on reproductions. One of the guys had a set up on eBay last week - it went for his opening bid ($250). I searched through my archives when we were setting this forum up and sent mail to each of these guys - but haven't gotten any responses. I'll let you know when I know more ... I need a set too :frown:

Tucker

I e-mailed the guy that had the weatherstrip up on E-Bay and it was the one for the tailgate NOT the tailgate window. Everyone needs both I'm sure and both will likely do better than just one.

It has been raining all day but stopped so I was able to snap a few pics. These two pics are of the non-OEM window channel weatherstripping. This works pretty well actually but I have no idea where it came from or what part # it may be. I am also in need of the edge watherstripping along the two vertical edges of the tailgate. You can see part of the right side is missing. Fairly complicated stuff-I doubt you could find a duplicate that would work. Hopefully someone is researching the reproduction possibilities.
Lily FJ55 008 copy.jpg
Lily FJ55 009 copy.jpg

The one on ebay was for the r/l side of tailgate and the part you show thats missing, all one piece. I was watching it on ebay and it sold for $ 249.50. The add said he had 2 55's and could'nt ever find any so he had it custom made. I need it like everyone else but $250.00 seems outrageous to me. Too bad he thinks he needs to get rich on people that have the same interest in 55's, but i guess if you are the only one who has it, you can call the shots. I have a local body shop looking for the weather strip. Someone has to have a connection, like the TLC shops that restore 55's. I'm in for a group buy if we find some. Mike

zornff said:
I need it like everyone else but $250.00 seems outrageous to me.

Before you think that's outrageous call the local dealer and ask for weatherstripping that is still current. I think you'll find that $250 is quite reasonable (I checked for the weatherstrip that hangs at the bottom of my '60 series tailgate and it was in the $400 range and not as large or complicated as the '55 rubber). Once my daughters FJ55 is completed (it's running now but still has some work required) I'd have no problem advising her to pick up a complete set of weatherstripping for $1000 if it was available.
Lest you think I'm connected with the seller, I've got NO idea who he is I just hope he either makes and sells more or gives the dies/moulds to someone who will.

I did'nt imply that you knew the guy ! But when you can buy door weatherstrip for a 55 from SOR for under $27.00 a door, $250.00 just seems steep. I also hope someone keeps making it, and if it's still $250.00 i guess i'll have to pay up, or go w/out.' Till then i'll keep looking and post up if/when i find it !

zornff said:
I did'nt imply that you knew the guy ! But when you can buy door weatherstrip for a 55 from SOR for under $27.00 a door, $250.00 just seems steep. I also hope someone keeps making it, and if it's still $250.00 i guess i'll have to pay up, or go w/out.' Till then i'll keep looking and post up if/when i find it !

Door weatherstripping is relatively easy. There's probably dozens of profiles that would work well but not necessarily like factory, it's the tailgate stuff that's complicated and expensive, that's why SOR or others haven't got it yet.

As for the tailgate upper glass weatherstripping, YES, it is being reproduced. I have seen pictures of the prototypes and I promise you will not be dissapointed. Price will be on par with the last price for the OEM stuff. Getting the molds made aint cheap.

Hi Guys-
I guess I'll let the cat out of the bag. I am working on the '55 WS. I'm doing all of it except for the windshield, including wingwindows. I've been trying to gauge how many 55 owners are out there along with what kind of interest their is for this type of product.

I'm doing the WS in stages so I don't lose my shirt on the deal. Molds and dies ain't cheap. I like to think big so if the WS sells well, I'm already setting up other much needed parts for the 55, beyond WS. Need to wait and see how the WS does first.

Plan on the piece pictured to be somewhere around $220-250. I'll have a website soon. The domain name is pvcruisers.com.

I'll be doing a product give away on IH8MUD once we are ready to rock and roll. One way you guys could help me is to tell all of your friends about my product and website.

Thanks

Seth

BTW, the pics are of the new piece, fresh from the factory.
FULL ws.jpg
CORNER SHOT.jpg

don't suppose you can get just sections of the w/s for a lower price??? prob not, but i only need the left side.

nuclearlemon said:
don't suppose you can get just sections of the w/s for a lower price??? prob not, but i only need the left side.

Thanks for the question. At this time PVCRUISER is not setup to handle that type of order. We always welcome feedback and suggestion as we want to meet the needs of the '55 community. Thanks!

Seth
:beer:

We're waiting!!

I'm all excited, I've got pvcruisers.com on my favorites already!

Those pics of PO weatherstrippin are jc whitneys push on weatherstripping. It comes in a few sizes and is about $0.75/ft.. SOR sells the door weatherstripping for cheap, but it sucks. It is larger than the original, making doors hard to shut. With the metal ribbing inside, it doesn't fold on the corners well.

Hey PVCruiser, Count me in for a set of those. I am sure that most 55 owners will step up and purchase a set. You need to post those picture on the 55 registry. The pig-heads will go nuts!

How about Fenders

PVCruiser, are you still planning on doing front fenders as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom