Builds Tagged '67 LV build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

6 - IMG_3854.jpg

7 - IMG_3850.jpg

8 - IMG_3852.jpg

9 - IMG_3864.jpg

Man - that is looking really good. The attention to all the nooks and crannies with the sandblasting as well as the primer work is commendable. That's definitely in great condition considering the idea of "corrosion protection" in the late 60's! In reference to your question about lead, on my 65 I found none on the roof itself, but there was some on the front "A" pillars. I've seen several LV's now with original paint material and they all showed the welding seams - I've decided that I will be leaving them on mine for that original visual texture. I think it adds to the character. It can make the body work a bit trickier but a guy would just have to spend a little more time metal bumping. Keep up the good work!

Man - that is looking really good. The attention to all the nooks and crannies with the sandblasting as well as the primer work is commendable. That's definitely in great condition considering the idea of "corrosion protection" in the late 60's! In reference to your question about lead, on my 65 I found none on the roof itself, but there was some on the front "A" pillars. I've seen several LV's now with original paint material and they all showed the welding seams - I've decided that I will be leaving them on mine for that original visual texture. I think it adds to the character. It can make the body work a bit trickier but a guy would just have to spend a little more time metal bumping. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the response sprdvallpro. It's great information that matches up exactly with what I'm seeing - lead in the A pillars, but none in the roof seams. I'm with you on the character! When looking over the roof and following all the seams between the dozen-plus pieces of metal used to make it, I have an even greater appreciation for the skill and ingenuity required to create one of these hand-built bodies. Easy to imagine Gifu metal workers placing the roof's large center section on a jig and then going about the business of attaching and shaping all the smaller pieces creating the profile and rolled edges. Hard to imagine doing it 5000 times! Amazing

Last edited:
I see the jack holder is in place and will now live on another 50 years.

The progress looks great. Have you decided on the colors yet?

I see the jack holder is in place and will now live on another 50 years.

The progress looks great. Have you decided on the colors yet?

Yes, the jack holder definitely has new life; given the light duty it will see going forward, 50 years of new life at a minimum! I'm going with the original Capri Blue and Lily White for the exterior and a mix of those two for the interior. Had some of the Capri Blue and Lily White mixed months ago. Was able to find some original Capri Blue paint in great condition beneath the rear reflectors and the fresh air side vent cover. Had some cards sprayed with the Capri Blue, held it up against those spots and the painter and I both declared it a match. I haven't been able to do quite as well with the Lily White. The paint under the taillights was pretty well preserved but the Lily White was almost yellow. My painter explained that paint exposed to rubber gaskets will often yellow - especially whites. We sprayed a card with the Lily White mix and based on comments I've read in numerous threads it sounds about right. Its definitely a creamy white and, IMO, looks great with the Capri.

Played around with different proportions of Lily White and Capri Blue for days before getting a match to an area of the interior where the original paint had been covered by the front heater and was well preserved. You can see the interior color we went with in the pics I posted of the finished seat brackets and rear seat metal back (page 5, starting at post 87).

@crustycruise.... time for some update pics:popcorn:

Not sure if you have documented how the 2tone is taped off around the doors etc. I have been taking pics of mine before blasting. Send me a PM if you need some details.

From what I can tell and others I have seen they were black. The pic is from a 1964.
20190706_175144.jpg

A while back I posted an ad seeking hardware to replace the bolts, screws, etc. that broke, were missing, were the wrong vintage or just too mangled to reuse - Wanted - FOUND! Bolts and screws for LV resto . In addition to offering to buy the hardware, I noted the option of a trade; plating some of the sellers hardware in exchange for the pieces I received. I haven't had much luck with that in the classifieds, so I thought I'd try here.

Generally I'm interested in any bolts with numbered -- but not indented heads. I'm pretty lucky for the most part and don't need mass quantities, so if anyone has an old coffee can that may hold some early LC treasure I'd really appreciate you looking through it. Really just need standard pitch as I have most of the fine threaded bolts, and any length is good as I'm set up to make whatever length is needed.

At the moment I'm on the hunt for some tranny tunnel washers. I salvaged 6, @S4Cruiser provided another 9 so I'm just 2 away from having all I need. If anyone can spare a few I'd be very appreciative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom