Switched from manual locking hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wifes 72 FJ40 doesnt have manual locking hubs. We bought it a month or so ago and thats how it came. It does have 4wd tho.

Im interested to know the pros and cons of this setup. My understanding is that this could cause early wear on the front axles but Im definitely not well versed on this topic. I would love to hear from all of you about this. If there are questions I will do my best to answer them. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The idea that you need locking hubs to save from wearing out your front axle was created by two groups of people: 1) people who had to buy locking hubs for their new 4wd trucks and had to explain why they bought and installed them to other people, and 2) people who sold locking hubs to people so they could install them on their new 4wd trucks.

The rear axle doesn't have locking hubs and it doesn't wear out because it doesn't have them. There is absolutely more no reason to have locking hubs than there is to have scented air fresheners hanging form your rearview mirror. You have them because you want them, not because you need them.

FWIW, my '77 40 has them, because one of the previous owners installed them and no one pulled them off before I bought it. If you want them, LMK and I'll send them to you.

Manual locking hubs are more of a gas saving item. With the hubs disengaged there is less drag so fuel mileage would be better. If 4 wheel drive was needed you simple engaged or locked the front hubs to engage front axle drive.

I was not going to put locking hubs back on but since I put a LockRight in the front I may need them for turning.

Manual locking hubs are more of a gas saving item. With the hubs disengaged there is less drag so fuel mileage would be better. If 4 wheel drive was needed you simple engaged or locked the front hubs to engage front axle drive.
I hear the gas mileage argument often but I've never seen any data. Guessing it's de minimis at best. Locking hubs aren't common in many markets.

Also keep in mind during the 70's the US was going thru an energy crunch. Gas prices were higher and there were gas shortages and gas lines in certain areas. Folks were installing locking hubs and they were also installing kits in auto tranny tcases, so they were no longer all time 4 wheel drive. I do prefer having locking hubs in my 40. I do notice a difference when my hubs are locked. My 40's are lifted, so there is a ever so slightly added vibration.

Last edited:
Every vehicle I have owned with manual hubs would stay locked most of the year because of changing road conditions. That was why I was going to put drive flanges on the front instead of locking hubs. But because of how I have built my axles I will install locking hubs again not for mileage concerns but it gives me options.

Without locking hubs your front drivetrain is always spinning . The gears, the driveshaft, front t-case output all spin while you drive so logically
, if nothing else, the front t-case out put seal, birfield seals and front pinion seal would wear much faster. The nice thing about cruisers is the
ability to swap third members front to back so after 250,000 miles you can take your well worn rear diff and swap it with the front, which if you
had locking hubs , would be relatively unused. Front third members I've pulled from trucks with locking hubs generally look brand new

Auto manufacturers go to great lengths to reduce the drag from moving parts because more drag means more fuel and more parts to wear.
The fuel savings might be minimal since a 10 % increase in mileage on 12 MPG truck puts you just over 13 MPGs and you get a greater variation than
that with a headwind. The wear difference is measurable, however. It shows most apparent when you rebuild front and rear ends and compare
bearings and spline wear. Most rear ends will show deformations in the splines at 150k. Seldom do front splines in an free spinning axle show any
wear at all and bearings look new

So all in all I should expect wear in the front. I dont really want that so I will probably find some manual hubs and change to them.

Thank you everyone

why not what is different from a 78?

Length, we have a wide variety of AISIN & Warn hubs available for the 79+ and Warn for the 76-78. Used only on 75 & older course spline stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom