Builds SuperDuper's BJ42 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brake Booster, Master Cylinder & Proportion Valve

Installing a new brake booster, master cylinder and proportion valve I purchased from City Racer LLC. Using the original bracket to mount the proportion valve to the master cylinder and brake booster. Here, I’m test fitting the stainless steel hard lines I copied from the originals.

42450AEF-38A2-40C4-A15D-B535EC6B2F2C.jpeg

Found a pretty good video from the tool maker referenced in City Racer’s downloads/installation guide.

I decided a magnetic base and a dial indicator could be used to set the push rod clearance (0.1 to 0.5mm or 0.004 to 0.02 inch). The master cylinder piston has a concave surface and the push rod has a sort of cap nut at the end. Here’s the depth of the of the master cylinder’s piston. I’ll call this measurement A.

AEB39A80-8220-43B8-BBBE-E06827FC96EE.jpeg

As a reference point, I needed to place the setup on a flat surface. I used a piece of precision ground flat bar to determine the next measurement, I’ll call measurement B.

0389CBA1-10C2-44F7-9AEA-F320E8B91C56.jpeg

Take the difference of these two measurements (B – A) to find measurement C. Measurement C + B is the distance of the push rod extending to the measured depth of the master cylinder piston. The manual specifies there should be a small gap/clearance. To set this, I attached the magnetic base/dial indicator to the brake booster where the master cylinder mounts. The push rod of the brake booster was adjusted within the clearance specified and the 8 mm nut was tightened to set the push rod length.

540BDD2C-5729-4425-A818-F4BADC5134E3.jpeg

Using M8 x 1.25 stainless hardware to mount the master cylinder, proportion valve bracket and booster. Stainless M6 x 1.0 - 40mm bolts/hardware are used to mount the proportion valve.

Last edited:
Thank you for telling us for modification of breather.

Glad you found the information useful. I haven't be on Mud much since the pandemic started. I've only managed to get a few thing out of the way. I guess I'll update this thread with a post of my tire carrier rebuild using the kit available at: City Racer's store: City Racer LLC - https://www.cityracerllc.com/

Took a grinder to the top of the pins:
IMG_7810.jpeg

Knocked out the pins out of the carrier with a brass punch:
IMG_7812.jpeg

After carefully grinding away the welds, I knocked out the pins stuck in the hinge/mounts:

IMG_7825.jpeg

Install the stainless steel pins using a modified Harbor Freight shop press to avoid messing up the freshly Powder coated bits:

IMG_7957.jpeg

Made my own rubber gasket to replace the originals:

Amazon product ASIN B07B41ZRPL

Condenser Mounting Brackets & L200 Duct

Generally, these parts are difficult to find but the L200 duct is super rare. Finding the correct mounting hardware was a challenge too. I used paint stripper, Evaporust, painted them flat black with Krylon ColorMax. There’s a total of 3 mounting brackets required.

View attachment 2403787

NOS Condenser & Vent Grill

The condenser is a NOS unit for a Banderante. This came with the wiring harness, controller and earlier style vent grill. I purchased a NOS 4 vent grill to swap in for the 2 vent grill that came with the Banderante condenser. In the photo, you can see 99 11 12 within the round stamp indicate a November 12, 1999 manufacture date.

View attachment 2403797

AC Controller & Wiring Harness

This is the NOS controller from a Banderante mentioned above. Also pictured, we have the Banderante (bottom) AC wiring harness next to an FJ40 (top) AC wiring harness.

View attachment 2404685

AC Repair Manual

Got this in the mail today. Hoping to add factory air to the project after I've got it rolling again. I'm probably going to scan and share it if anyone needs the information.

View attachment 1276175
Have you shared repair Manual

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom