Suggested alternator replacement FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here ya go.
Possible bolt in 140-145a alternator

Interesting read. Someone on the thread complained that you couldn't fit it on a 3FE, but I'm running the standard 2F carbed, so I may look into this. Already upgraded my alternator to the battery as part of the H4 conversion process, but think I'll have to check the starter and grounds. I have a jag rebuilder here in town, I'll check with them to see if they have any for a reasonable price before just buying a reman online. Would be nice to wander down to their shop and eyeball the difference between the stock 2F ND and the new shiny from the thread.

Glenn in Marana

I wasn't suggesting to use that alternator as I knew it was for a 1fz and not a 3fe in an 80 series....

Just that the process I took was knowing there are other car companies that use similar/same alternator wiring and clocking orientation with much higher amperages because they're all made by a small number of companies.

People also complained about it being an electronic "Jaguar" part and glazed over that it was an ND alternator.

I have purchased this 140amp alternator and will post here how it goes when I receive and install.

RGB Cruiser, did you ever reach any conclusions about that 145 amp Quality Power Alternator you bought last year? I am eager to hear if you are happy with it or not.

Out of curiosity what are you running in your truck that you need 140 amp alternator for?
Nothing that needs that much power, but just curious if the upgrade is worth it or not.

Out of curiosity what are you running in your truck that you need 140 amp alternator for?
Current + Future needs
Driving, Spot and area lights, charging for Camera equipment and a camping fridge.
Nothing that needs that much power, but just curious if the upgrade is worth it or not.
Current and future needs.
-Driving, Spot and area lighting.
-Comms equipment: HAM, CB and 4G Cell Booster
-Camera equipment
-Fridge/Freezer Combo
-Camera equipment
-Camping: Hardwired Fridge Freezer Combo and other assorted matress and water pumps.
--10k lb winch
--Extra Driving, flood, spot and all around ambient lights.
--Camera equipment , phime and GPS charging
--2nd Battery, 100AH
--Comms: HAM, CB, GMRS radios + Cell Spot signal booster
--Plan to hardwire fridge freezer combo.
--Plan to upgrade A/C to add rear area A/C

So far, that is it.

Going to a higher output alternator doesn't do anything magical for you unless you have need for more amperage. The things the drive the need for more amperage are typically extra lights or a bigger stereo system. These days you can get LED lights that draw a fraction of the amperage of the old Halogen lights so even the stock alternator can handle most LED setups. I suppose if you were doing a lot of electric winching maybe a bigger alternator? Other wise the stock 55amp should be fine.

Check out this thread on a 80 amp 3FE alternator onto a 2F.

Why is this a undesired option now ?

i am un-aware of any limitations it has ......... 🤔

please elaborate

thanks

98A6F6DB-CD3B-45F8-A9A3-34590FC221BC.jpeg
6C2CADD9-2C72-4425-8E3E-60406AF051B6.jpeg
CC2F8475-D818-4B36-82DE-D7B6B6EEB7B8.jpeg
89768699-2159-42C1-B651-1FFB0133FA07.jpeg
974B4A31-E950-4070-9044-CE88697EF702.jpeg

Why is this a undesired option now ?

i am un-aware of any limitations it has ......... 🤔

please elaborate

thanks

Some people modify their vehicles and need more electrical output then the stock alternator can supply

It's so hard to source the parts, I rarely rebuild them anymore. I'll throw a front bearing in and clean/grease the rear pocket bearing but if the rotor is grooved badly or the pocket bearing is ruined, those parts are very hard to piecemeal together.

My Rockauto unit has been fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom