Subwoofer - What is the best size for under the front passenger seat?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick one for everyone -

I want to put a compact powered sub under the front driver or passenger seat (or maybe under back seat).

Anyone know what the best size would be or could recommend the actual brand/model for me?

For reference, here's what Crutchfield offers: Crutchfield Powered Sub Products

Thanks!

Not sure if this varied between models, but the space under my front passenger seats is pretty well filled with all of the original stereo's components. Unless you're replacing all of it, I don't guess that location would be an option. Under the driver's seat is (I believe) some HVAC items that may make that difficult as well. The back seats may be ideal. Is there a reason you wouldn't use the factory subwoofer location?

Reactions: GTV
Not sure if this varied between models, but the space under my front passenger seats is pretty well filled with all of the original stereo's components. Unless you're replacing all of it, I don't guess that location would be an option. Under the driver's seat is (I believe) some HVAC items that may make that difficult as well. The back seats may be ideal. Is there a reason you wouldn't use the factory subwoofer location?
Thanks @MongooseGA - I would rather use the factory location for sure - the issue is my installer is a bit like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld - he refuses to do anything with a sub unless it's in a box in the trunk. But he's very affordable and very good at what he does. He said that if I wanted to do anything else, I would have to buy the sub myself and he would install it but he wouldn't do anything special.

So my option is either (1) buy the underseat option and have him just plug and play when he does everything else or (2) tell him not to do anythign with the sub and I figure that out later.

They made it sound like replacing the factory sub would take some fabrication to get a new sub speaker to fit. Do you think this is B.S.? Maybe I have him do everything else (speakers, tweeters, carplay, touchscreen, amp, backup camera) but ask him to only do the sub wiring to the existing sub location and then I just replace the sub myself? Do you think that would be easy enough?

Thanks @MongooseGA - I would rather use the factory location for sure - the issue is my installer is a bit like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld - he refuses to do anything with a sub unless it's in a box in the trunk. But he's very affordable and very good at what he does. He said that if I wanted to do anything else, I would have to buy the sub myself and he would install it but he wouldn't do anything special.

So my option is either (1) buy the underseat option and have him just plug and play when he does everything else or (2) tell him not to do anythign with the sub and I figure that out later.

They made it sound like replacing the factory sub would take some fabrication to get a new sub speaker to fit. Do you think this is B.S.? Maybe I have him do everything else (speakers, tweeters, carplay, touchscreen, amp, backup camera) but ask him to only do the sub wiring to the existing sub location and then I just replace the sub myself? Do you think that would be easy enough?

So as mentioned under my front passenger seat also has no room to spare. The rear seats as well sit flat against the floor and have no space.

The stock sub varies between models but the spacing is tough. Do some digging on these forums, people have fabricated speaker covers that allow for more space. I think maybe @BenCC has a creation for this.

Could drop a box right in between the center console and rear seats if you aren't concerned about losing the space there. Or just get some good door speakers and replace stock sub with something better, might be enough bump. I think even replacing the door speakers is a bit of a bitch depending on which model / size / system you have.

Someone here has a custom box mounted in that factory location. It turned out really clean looking. Maybe worth doing a search to try to find it.

I tried to go under my front seats with a JBL Fuse (basically for more midbass) but, I couldn't fit it under the driver's seat because of the OEM heater for the rear is there.

So I have two 10" AudioFrog GB10D2 in a big ported enclosure in the trunk. A JBL Fuse mounted behind the 2nd row seats. And two 5.25" subs in the front footwells.

(Before anyone asks I want my LX to sound good from any seat so this was done to help eliminate the nulls that are present in most vehicles do to their size.)

if you want to keep it simple, I would go with a bigger powered sub in the very rear, and just have him install it with quick release connections if you need to move it out of the way or out of the truck completely.

there is a point with audio that you have to go all in… and unless you want to do that, I think the above is the best option. I dropped a Memphis 6” into the stock subwoofer, and it produces so little. I have tune everything else down to hear it at all. Not worth it. The truck is just too much volume for such a small movement of air. A 10 or 12” sub with 100+ watts and that will give you some sound.

if you want to keep it simple, I would go with a bigger powered sub in the very rear, and just have him install it with quick release connections if you need to move it out of the way or out of the truck completely.

there is a point with audio that you have to go all in… and unless you want to do that, I think the above is the best option. I dropped a Memphis 6” into the stock subwoofer, and it produces so little. I have tune everything else down to hear it at all. Not worth it. The truck is just too much volume for such a small movement of air. A 10 or 12” sub with 100+ watts and that will give you some sound.
That’s really helpful to understand. Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom