Nakamichi Subwoofer Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
I know there are lots of threads on our subwoofers already, but nothing looked quite like I want to do.

We have a '99 LX470 that came w/ the Nakamichi stereo system.

I replaced the head unit, and then about 4 years later I was having some amplifier issues.

While I was figuring out the amp, I heard some bad noises from the subwoofer one day, so I pulled it to take a look. The cone was frozen, it would not move. I eventually got it to move, but I did not want to put it back in service in case it froze again.

Time to look for a new subwoofer.

My goal was to modify as little as possible. This Cruiser checks a lot of boxes for us so all my mods so far have been subtle.

Last edited:
I did not find any threads confirming this, but the factory sub was marked 4 ohms.

When I measured resistance, it read a little under 2 ohms.

IMG_4998.JPG

IMG_4662.JPG

Watching this with interest, as I'm not convinced my sub is working properly either.
I had the volume way down low and heard what I can only describe as bad sound.
It was a specific song. When I got parked I hopped into the way back and verified it was coming from the sub.

@PabloCruise - how did this turn out for
My goal was to modify as little as possible.

I think I can get by with just trimming the alignment pegs from the stock enclosure.

Wish me luck!
How did this end up turning out for you @PabloCruise ? I have a 99LX w/ the Nakamichi head unit/Amp and I'm really hoping this kicker did the trick for you? Any results you could share or mods you needed to make to the enclose would be appreciated. Loved your pics, BTW, incredibly helpful!

@PabloCruise is the stereo master. If he doesn't know it, it's not worth knowing.

@PabloCruise - how did this turn out for

How did this end up turning out for you @PabloCruise ? I have a 99LX w/ the Nakamichi head unit/Amp and I'm really hoping this kicker did the trick for you? Any results you could share or mods you needed to make to the enclose would be appreciated. Loved your pics, BTW, incredibly helpful!
Sorry for leaving you all in the dark! Life has been "active" lately.
I got it in, it works.
My wife drives the truck a lot more often than I do, so I will ask her how she is liking it!

@PabloCruise is the stereo master. If he doesn't know it, it's not worth knowing.
That is a generous compliment!
I think it is all relative, but I guess in the words of Lynyrd Skynyrd, "I know a little, and baby I'll guess the rest!"

So the sub went back in no problem after trimming the alignment pegs? And for those of us who don't know, can you explain how you did this?
If you get the dual voice coils in 2 ohms and wire in series, you end up w/ a 4 ohm total load.

So the sub went back in no problem after trimming the alignment pegs? And for those of us who don't know, can you explain how you did this?
Sorry I missed this!
Yes, I can explain in more depth, I have some pictures that might help!

Happy post-Thanksgiving!
I am assuming you are asking about how I hooked up the speaker here...
The Kicker 48CWRT672 product allows for a 4 ohm load if you wire the 2x 2 ohm coils in series:
IMG_5391.JPG

IMG_5389.JPG

Does that answer your question?

If you are asking about the alignment pegs - here is what I did:

IMG_5401.JPG

Trim these bad boys:

IMG_5404.JPG

Then the Kicker sub fits well:
IMG_5406.JPG

That's really helpful! Thanks! So did you just rotate the sub so that the holes lined up with the factory holes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom