Stumped on why I am not getting gas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok...someone tell me what I am missing please!

Had the tank out and was able to fun my 71 40 just by droping the fuel like that attached to the tank into a gas can. Now that I have the tank back in and hooked up I am not getting enough gas to keep the truck running. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Change the fuel filter lately? What kind of filter?

The fuel pump isn't pulling a vacuum on the tank? Crack open the filler neck cap and see if that helps.

My bet is that your lines are connected incorrectly. Sure you have the suction line connected to the fuel pump?

lines

Yeah x 2 on the hook up also do you have enough fuel in the tank? try adding a couple gallons--if you put in one can that may not been enough

My bet is that your lines are connected incorrectly. Sure you have the suction line connected to the fuel pump?
If it is a stock '71, there is only one fuel feed line. The return fuel system showed up around 1974. :cheers:

If they sealed the tank for you, they may have sealed over the pickup tube or at least partially.

See if you can blow into the tank to see if there is a restriction. Use your mouth, not an air compressor, and make sure your fuel cap is off.

Dont use your mouth,this is not like gas from the old days. Set compressor on 20 psi.

If the tank were rusty, either the line is plugged, it happened to me on the road out of Rubicon after fueling from my jerry can at the Springs on the way out... a piece of crud from the jerry can clogged the line. it would idle fine, but once I accelerated and got into the secondary, it would drain the bowl and just idle/die. We used compressed air to clear the line. Or your pickup my have rusted/broken off/has a hole in it an isn't picking up enough fuel.. like a straw with a split in it.

Have you tried sticking a piece of fuel line in the sender hole and running it that way? If that works, then I would suspect either of these possibilities.

had similar problem ,fuel pickup was plugged full of ladybugs, there were at least a 1000 floating in the fuel tank,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom