Stuck vacuum passage bolt on Aisin Carb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am rebuilding my carb and the vacuum passage bolt, the brass bolt with a hole in it that comes up through the bottom, is totally stuck and the head of it is messed up. It looks like someone has disassembled this before, or at least attempted to, and messed it up. I really don't want to make this worse, but I haven't been able to make it budge and each attempt is making the head of the bolt worse.

Unless someone else has a better idea, I was going to try tapping the screwdriver down into the head a bit and putting a wrench on it. If that doesn't work, I'm going to have to drill the head of the bolt off. Is the insulator block threaded? I'm hoping that it is not so that that drilling of the head off will leave me with enough thread that I can put vice grips on it and remove it. If anyone has tips on what to do, I'd like to hear them before I make this worse.

On a related note, anyone know a good source for a new bolt? :)

The hammer technique worked. Several sharp taps with a BFH and 8" crescent wrench on the screw driver did the trick.

In case some one isn't as lucky as me, the insulator block isn't threaded, so I think drilling off the head of the bolt and then wrenching off the remainder with a vice grips would have worked fine too.

Also, I found the part number for the bolt: 2182438010
Googling it found a bunch of places that had them for sale for about $7.

Bad news: the previous part number was discontinued. Good news: 21834-31010 looks identical and is half the price. I'll let you know if it actually fits when it shows up.

Pete, I might have one in a parts box. I'll look.

Thanks for the offer, but I just ordered one

Old thread, I know, but I just had this same problem and thought I would post what worked for me. Was afraid to do it so I left it until all else failed, but it ended up working like a charm, should have done it first.

I used an impact drill. Just the common type used for building a deck, etc. I thought that it might strip the head bad if it slipped or I would break off the head if the bolt was really stuck, but just one quick press of the trigger and the bolt was lose, no damage at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom