Strongest INVERTER in 2-Batt System? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Markuson

SILVER Star
Threads
looked around, but not much on this.

Have any of you hard-wired a powerful inverter?

I was looking at a 2000W unit, and wondering if there is any problem running this with my dual battery system going in on Monday.

Upper limit?
Car Running only or no?

Any thoughts?

It would be nice to be able to run a little microwave like u might use in a dorm room. Most of these go around 1100W or so...

What you teenk?

Last edited:
A microwave? For popcorn and burritos on the trail? :hmm:

It would be nice to be able to run a little microwave like u might use in a dorm room. Most of these go around 100W or so...

What you teenk?

I teenk you missed a zero on your microwave wattage, haha. I've done quite a few inverters up to 3000 watts. It really just comes down to the battery size(s), the current draw and the time frame you're using it for. You won't be able to run a 2000 watt inverter at full power for long before you over drain your battery, but you will definitely be able to use it for a few minutes at a time. Running the engine will definitely help.

I've built vans with 3 8D batteries and a 3000 watt inverter and the clients will kill all the batteries without the engine running...

A microwave? For popcorn and burritos on the trail? :hmm:

Heh... Just an example of a high-draw device.

Also interested in hot water, charging or running power tools, etc.

I teenk you missed a zero on your microwave wattage, haha. I've done quite a few inverters up to 3000 watts. It really just comes down to the battery size(s), the current draw and the time frame you're using it for. You won't be able to run a 2000 watt inverter at full power for long before you over drain your battery, but you will definitely be able to use it for a few minutes at a time. Running the engine will definitely help.

I've built vans with 3 8D batteries and a 3000 watt inverter and the clients will kill all the batteries without the engine running...

Heehee... Ya. I left out a 1... *1100 watts* up to 1500...

No surprise about zapping battery alone...
...but are you saying that even **while running** it will drain the battery??

I figured this would be an engine-running, short-duration use with engine.
Just trying to figure out if it can at least keep up while engine on...

...but are you saying that even **while running** it will drain the battery??

I'm sure there's a mathematical calculation using battery amp hours, alternator output at different RPM's and current draw of specific inverters at different output levels, but I didn't make it that high in my math classes haha

My short answer is that I guess at max inverter output, the stock alternator would not keep up at idle, gradually draining the battery. Real world, I'd do it. I have a Magnum 1000 watt pure sine wave I'd like to install someday...

How important is getting a pure sine wave inverter?

It depends on what you're running with it. Sensitive electronics should be run with a pure sine wave inverter. For me, it's worth the extra cost.

Here is a case where a Honda beats a Toyota. I can do the math and it is grim. Convert your second tire carrier to a generator carrier and be confident your truck will start in the morning. Ultimately there is no magic.

Here is a case where a Honda beats a Toyota. I can do the math and it is grim. Convert your second tire carrier to a generator carrier and be confident your truck will start in the morning. Ultimately there is no magic.

Ya... A small generator's been in the back of my mind... Just wondering what the possibilities are.
Not so worried about morning starts,as it would be tied to one of two batteries...but still thinkin...

I'm at Oshkosh Wisconsin's MASSIVE air show all week, and I've noticed a ton of small, quiet **Honda generators** that are 2000W. Probably the way to go... Still curious though.

I like the idea of those small Honda generators - I think a couple of them you can run together/attached and have twice the power. One drawback to it is it's another thing to pack and secure.

Having dual batteries and pure sine wave inverter is nice - you install it and forget about it. It's there in the truck and it works. But we get to a point where the truck is getting complicated. The wiring, the mounting and troubleshooting etc... I am sure if it's done right then there's nothing to worry about.

It's like a built in hot water shower that uses the cooling system of the rig. Do you really want to mess with the cooling system? Or to have a portable hot water shower that gets packed and secured like the Honda generator. It's independent and keeping it simple...

On my 100 Series, I had an inverter and just ran the motor when I needed it. But it wasn't hard wired to the rig. I just opened the hood and clipped it on directly to the battery then plugged into the inverter. Same with the hot water, we had a portable/independent unit.

The truck gets used everyday so not having all the stuff on it kept things simple. I will probably will do the same set up on the LX - staying with the KISS principle..... But that's just my opinion and I always like to see what others do and come up with.

I'm at Oshkosh Wisconsin's MASSIVE air show all week, and I've noticed a ton of small, quiet **Honda generators** that are 2000W. Probably the way to go... Still curious though.

Did you drive there from San Diego, or are you just pondering what it would take?

I keep saying I'm going to take my kids to camp near Oshkosh one year to watch the show, since it's only a 3 hour drive, but every year I neglect to look for a site to book until they're all sold out for miles around.

Some full-time RVers use the 2k-3kW pure sine wave inverters. They have a massive bank of 6V batteries typically and may put 6-8 solar panels on the roof of their RV as well. That allows them to run the microwave for a few minutes or make a pot of coffee, but you can't leave the pot on all day. I installed two solar panels (200W) and a charge controller on my trailer, but that's just enough to keep the batteries charged so I can run the 12V water pump and LED lights when we're camping off the grid.

At <$500, a portable generator is cheap and probably the way to go. Honda and Yamaha both make ones that are purportedly <60dB.

Did you drive there from San Diego, or are you just pondering what it would take?

I keep saying I'm going to take my kids to camp near Oshkosh one year to watch the show, since it's only a 3 hour drive, but every year I neglect to look for a site to book until they're all sold out for miles around.

Some full-time RVers use the 2k-3kW pure sine wave inverters. They have a massive bank of 6V batteries typically and may put 6-8 solar panels on the roof of their RV as well. That allows them to run the microwave for a few minutes or make a pot of coffee, but you can't leave the pot on all day. I installed two solar panels (200W) and a charge controller on my trailer, but that's just enough to keep the batteries charged so I can run the 12V water pump and LED lights when we're camping off the grid.

At <$500, a portable generator is cheap and probably the way to go. Honda and Yamaha both make ones that are purportedly <60dB.

Oshkosh: Yes...I drove all the way there from San Diego and camped for the entire week. Amazing spectacle if you're into EAA/Aircraft stuff.

Now in Denver with my 200 at Slee...heading to Ouray Thursday morning.

Re inverter vs generator. May have Slee add a modest inverter (maybe 400-500 watts vs the built in 100W that comes on the 200). Will eventually pick up a Honda generator....but even the small, 2000W unit is +/- $1000.

Oshkosh: Yes...I drove all the way there from San Diego and camped for the entire week. Amazing spectacle if you're into EAA/Aircraft stuff.

Now in Denver with my 200 at Slee...heading to Ouray Thursday morning.

If you're going to be there next year, let me know and maybe I'll meet you there for a day. We were in Kettle Moraine the weekend before (about an hour south of Oshkosh).

Off to Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone starting next week myself. Ouray and Moab are out of the question for me this year, but maybe in a year or two when I can squirrel away more vacation time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom