Builds STPCHLD, a 3/70 FJ40, Get's a Frame Up! (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OH!

Anybody else going to the Detroit Autorama? @oldschool4wheeling and I will be there. If so, let us know.

OH MY!!! How I love this! Only a small portion of what's been plated.

After two full weeks of working very long days helping out on set for a new chiders TV show, I managed to get to the Autorama with @oldschool4wheeling in tow and saw my new favorite car.

I also got a little time on the shop to make the first of two racks for moving around and working on axles. I think this is going to be a great addition for me. I just can't easily move those things around anymore.

Finally!

STPCHLD is about to get some much needed attention. Tomorrow I take the frame and a bunch of other pieces to be powder coated. Right behind that some last session welding. First of next week the body panels will be blasted and then on Monday the 25th, assuming nothing screws up, it'll go to the painter. I've made a deal with the guy to get it done quickly too. So even though I've lost a couple of weeks, I hope to get caught up in no time. So I'm really hoping to get some needed photos up over these next two weeks.

I keep staring at MY45AGN in the barn... It feels so good!

Last edited:
Does anybody have a source or solution for the plastic portion of the early door inner handles? You know, the plastic part that almost all early doors have missing? There just might be something out there that might be close but then again, maybe several coats of plastic dip or so and that may be an okay replacement. It's been years since I've used the stuff so I'm not sure.

I found some new complete assemblies on line but thought if I could just replace the missing part I could save some bucks.

early latch.jpg

Sneek peek at the first of a bunch of bling over the next week or so.

new axle.JPG

The blasting guy is scheduled for tomorrow. Here at my place. I'll get some shots of peeling off the Chevy silver (yeuchk)...

Last batch of yellow zinc stuff delivered today.
Should be getting all the powder coating back next week.
Roll bar supports are in. Two full sets of sort top holes in the top of the windshield are welded shut.
Next week is gonna be like Christmas for STPCHLD.

I've got a rebuild kit for the rear diff on the way. Needs a new pinion seal and side bearings.

When I get started on something I enjoy, I jump in with both feet and full speed ahead! The blaster is here zipping through the body panels. I wish blast cabinets worked as fast. The old paint was on thick with a complete skim of bondo. He made it look like one layer of primer. Photos in a few hours.

Okay boys... Here she is all naked.

Paint, here we come...
blasted body parts.JPG

Ahhh...
blasted tub.JPG

Here's near perfect tub. A few issues but nothing serious.

blasted floor.JPG

Man oh man, I love a clean Cruiser tub. No pitting in the floor...

And the cleanest barn door bottom I've ever seen! At least original ones.
Door bottom barn.JPG

Ands just look at the bottom of the front doors too! These came with the FJ45, MY45AGN.
Dppr bottom front.JPG

Now that looks Nice !! 👍
JP

Things have slowed down briefly.
Powder coated pile will be done later this week and since the zinc plating place is on the other side of Nashville and in the same building, that stuff gets picked up at the same time.
So I've been blasting and cleaning and painting odds and ends of stuff. My pile of "ready to go together" parts is piling up.
The paint has been delayed for two reasons. I was asked to bring it on a "Monday" for scheduling. It has rained on Monday both possible times. But I also uncovered a bad spot in the "of course" area. Rocker panels. Those will have to be dealt with. No stone unturned on this truck.

Turns out even the best looking survivor may have some bad news lurking somewhere. And so it goes here. Those damn triangular back up panels under the rockers are the bane of most any Cruiser's existence. It was little weird though, both sides were rusted from the east... or was it west... Anyway, one from the outside and the other from the inside. Not to worry though, both are gone with the help of my good buddy Luch.

rocker fix.jpg

If Luch needs a vacation in Idaho I have a couple of these he can work on.

Here's the other side and the evidence of what's gone now... with some evidence of the poor quality attempt from a previous bonehead. A few of you may disagree with my decision but I made the executive decision not to replace the two rear triangular ... braces (?) under the tub. They aren't structural. They don't even strengthen the mount for the running board. The most effective use for them is to create a rust farm, so I left them out. The front two are still in there and aren't rusted.

rust replacement.jpg

OKAY!! Off to paint today. May get it back as soon a 3 weeks. Let's hold him to it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom