Stolen FJ60 - San Francisco (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A very worn Toyota key of the same era can open worn lock cylinders pretty easily.
I GOT HER BACK! I'm grateful to report that My FJ60 was found today and she's back home. Got the call from SFPD this afternoon. Thankfully other than ransacked glovebox, console and a few random tools missing, she was in the same shape when she left. As far as how she was stolen - no signs of forced entry on door (thinking slim jim), hatch, etc. and no sign of damage around ignition key. Its like the thief had the extra key I've been meaning to have made for the last 6 months.

Thank you all for the words of encouragement and a special shout at to @chelo for driving around some pretty spicy parts of SF looking for my rig. Last few days have been very stressful and I've been playing a lot of shoulda, woulda, coulda on how I could have done a better job preventing this. Thanks for the all the tips, suggestions on theft prevention. I'm glad I'm getting a second chance to implement them. I got lucky getting mine back in one piece.
Most excellent news! Glad you got it back.

How many FJ60/ 62 Key combinations are there you think ?
In highscool in the 80s i had a '80s Toyota Truck, the little version. Me + a buddy kinda discovered it fit + started a Teachers 80s Toyota Corolla. For weeks we would Move her car into different parking spots as we thought that was rather funny. We never did get caught lololol. it wouldnt shock me at all if Keys for any 80s 60 worked in other 60s.

A very worn Toyota key of the same era can open worn lock cylinders pretty easily.

Most excellent news! Glad you got it back.

please explain in detail TECH how this occurs and why it can in your opinion be a issue accross the 8/80-1990 land cruiser board

thanks

please explain in detail TECH how this occurs and why it can in your opinion be a issue accross the 8/80-1990 land cruiser board

thanks

I've seen this same discussion come up with several different car brands and there is usually some reference to there only being so many key profiles. That may be true but I suspect its just more likely that after 30 years the original lock cylinders have just worn down and can be forced with a dummy key. Also most of these 80's cars are not complicated to steal. A myriad of ways to get the door open without breaking any glass.....simple wiring and crude antitheft alarms that only deter the most basic of would be thieves. We used to have a tool for removing stuck ignition cylinders from a certain brand....you could have the cylinder out in 5 seconds and then start the car with a screw driver. We were of course using it for repairs but it was an eye opener as to how easy it would be to start another car

it goes without saying if the internals of a 60 series lock cylinder are worn past any Limit of normal operation that they could be easier to simply turn with a #2 flat head screw driver or any simple non Toyota key of sorts that fully fits into the shutter door ............

that being said , WD-40 Brand wd-40 will loosen up all stuck , SAD , and worn internals and make them have a BIT more life at end of day ........

this translates into a HIGHER SECURE lock cylinder , less likley to be picked and forced entry like many outline above ,

stuck or crispy locks on 60's are easy prey , so lets all wd-40 UP and keep on keeping it on !

16221992009071.png

Key banner - Copy.jpg

69057-90800 1.jpg

Next time tell Nancy Pelosi to get her own Cruiser. She can afford it.

Congrats!
Are you sure? I think it was Feinstein that needed it to get to her property in Tahoe.;):rolleyes:

I've seen this same discussion come up with several different car brands and there is usually some reference to there only being so many key profiles. That may be true but I suspect its just more likely that after 30 years the original lock cylinders have just worn down and can be forced with a dummy key.

My key works on my buddies 60 series doors. Didn't try the ignition but it would likely work there as well. Glad you found your truck OP.

That^

Every stolen FJ60 posted on this forum was eventually found nearby and not totally trashed.

I GOT HER BACK! I'm grateful to report that My FJ60 was found today and she's back home. Got the call from SFPD this afternoon. Thankfully other than ransacked glovebox, console and a few random tools missing, she was in the same shape when she left

The Club is defeated in 5 seconds. Hate to tell u this now but it's worthless.

Glad to see the perp is following SF mask mandates.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I use a club. 5 seconds is not much help.🤨🤨🤨🤨

87 FJ60 stolen from my house in San Francisco over the weekend. I think (praying) she’s still local and in one piece. Silver with white tailgate. Hoping my fellow Bay Area mudders can keep an eye out for her. Would love to get her back. View attachment 2919385View attachment 2919388View attachment 2919389

View attachment 2919386

View attachment 2919387

i bet me Mate , Head Constable and Chief Inspector Smith here had something to do with the safe return ? 😇

i would NOT MUCK around if me knew he was out looking Land Cruiser Poachers and Prowlers ......

1644767674244.png

it goes without saying if the internals of a 60 series lock cylinder are worn past any Limit of normal operation that they could be easier to simply turn with a #2 flat head screw driver or any simple non Toyota key of sorts that fully fits into the shutter door ............

that being said , WD-40 Brand wd-40 will loosen up all stuck , SAD , and worn internals and make them have a BIT more life at end of day ........

this translates into a HIGHER SECURE lock cylinder , less likley to be picked and forced entry like many outline above ,

stuck or crispy locks on 60's are easy prey , so lets all wd-40 UP and keep on keeping it on !

Going out of town but I will definitely need to clean my locks. I'll contact you Matt for some 60 locks when I get back.

Last edited:
i think on a closing note :

all should be HYPER AWARE of :

- as of 2- 09 -2022 / 12:58 EST .........

- the FJ60 Ignition Lock Cylinder 69057-90A06 disc/ nla

- 60 / 62 Passenger side front door LOCK cylinder 69052-90A06 disc/ nla

- the 60/62 FUEL door Lock cylinder 69058-90A02 disc/ nla

- the FJ62 Rear Power Actuated push button Lock cylinder 69055-90A12 disc/ nla

- - ALL above are globally Disc. / NLA to best of my knowledge , if anyone knows different please PM me right away .... thanks

- i have NOT seen a drivers side front door 60 / 62 in a long long time , but its NOT NLA / DIS. YET , COVID MIA i think ? 69051-90A06

- ALL above are globally Disc. / NLA

- this leaves the Fj62 Ignition Lock Cylinder

- and the FJ60 Push button manual linkage type the ONLY 2 locks still available to us ,,,,

- SOR.com offers a OLD OEM TOYOTA CRESSIDA wagon Ignition lock cylinder 69057-22041 however it uses and comes with a TOTALLY different profile TOYOTA Key called a TR-37

- this is a ODD use of Available Vintage Toyota Cressida parts , to solve NLA / Disc. land cruiser parts ?

it renders the ignition keys useless in any other locks and all 5 other tr-33 locks including a fj62 locking glove box useless with a new oem Toyota Cressida ignition lock ?

Keep in mind the 69057-90A05 (69057-22041 substitute with different key as noted) has a different cylinder retention pin position and diameter where it slides into the steering column mechanism than the 69057-90A08. It would take some machining effort to swap them. There are aftermarket cylinders for the 8/80-8/87 6x fwiw.

1646087774039.png

Take a look at the cylinder retention pin location:

1646088002845.png

Keep in mind the 69057-90A05 (69057-22041 substitute with different key as noted) has a different cylinder retention pin position and diameter where it slides into the steering column mechanism than the 69057-90A08. It would take some machining effort to swap them. There are aftermarket cylinders for the 8/80-8/87 6x fwiw.

View attachment 2939663

Take a look at the cylinder retention pin location:

View attachment 2939664

this is GREAT tech Kurt thanks brother

- i know about the 22041 parts substitution but it does nobody really any good here are the 2 different KEY profiles the TR-33 and the TR37

non compatible

- the 22041 is a old Cressida lock why Toyota substitutes it without communicating mechanically with all other 5 locks is a mystery to me ?

i don't stock it or promote it in any way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom