Stereo sound died (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I was rewiring my rear power set and after I was done the stereo stopped outputting sound. All other functions seemed to work. I took the Tesla out and reinstalled the stock stereo and got the same thing

I replaced the stock stereo and the same thing

I replaced the AMP1 and AMP2 fuses and no change. I was in the right kick panel with my wiring and don't see anything wrong. The connectors look fine and I demated them to inspect

I read in the factory manual if there is a problem with one speaker the amp may shut off

Kind of at a loss here. Lots of connectors and wires there.

Is there anyway to make sure there is sound coming out and bypass the Amplifier?

Any other suggestions? I am stuck at the moment and not sure what to do next

I know if the TV fuse goes the entire unit stops functioning. The units both seem to work fine except no sound

youll Have to pull the driver seat (where it is at on lx anyhow) and check for power at amp. Both stock and aftermarket Are using that amp. It’s the common link and you have power at the head unit.

Have you tried pulling codes from an ODB-ii reader, that or pulled the main battery for a few minutes?

Yes and no joy

I also replaced the ACC Fuse under the dash

I swapped back the stock stereo and it does the same thing

The instructions to get to the amp show a very cumbersome process. Not sure how I check the AMP once I get there. Besides Power, how do I see if the inputs are getting there and the outputs then are correct? Is there a way to connect a speaker to the output to check?

Is there a way to bypass the amp and for it to work?

Again, I was working in the passenger kick panel running additional wire through. The wire was not connected to the battery when I was doing it. I demated the connectors there and I dont see any damage

I would hate to spend a day taking out the seat, console, cool box, etc and still be stuck.

Ken - I know this is not much help and you already checked there, but I'd double check your connections under the glove box area. I had the same issue on my 2016 earlier this year (lost all sound). No sound would work on any sources (SAT, AM/FM, AUX, USB, Bluetooth, Phone calls, etc.). I was working under the glove box feeding some wires through the firewall and after finishing, I noticed I didn't have any sound through the stereo. I couldn't figure it out, so I took it to the dealership. They had it for days tearing the car apart - tested new amp, tested new head unit, tested new steering controls, etc. They were dumbfounded. But, they finally found the problem and said there was a loose connection with one of the wiring harnesses under the glove box. So, I must have jostled something loose. I wanted to know the exact connector that was loose, but the tech was out when I went to pick up the car and I haven't made a point to go back and ask. I can call them in the morning and see if they can give me a specific harness to check if the tech is in.

Last edited:
Ken, can’t remember...are you in a ‘13 type 200 (13-15)?

Ken - I know this is not much help and you already checked there, but I'd double check your connections under the glove box area. I had the same issue on my 2016 earlier this year (lost all sound). No sound would work on any sources (SAT, AM/FM, AUX, USB, Bluetooth, Phone calls, etc.). I was working under the glove box feeding some wires through the firewall and after finishing, I noticed I didn't have any sound through the stereo. I couldn't figure it out, so I took it to the dealership. They had it for days tearing the car apart - tested new amp, tested new head unit, tested new steering controls, etc. They were dumbfounded. But, they finally found the problem and said there was a loose connection with one of the wiring harnesses under the glove box. So, I must have jostled something loose. I wanted to know the exact connector that was loose, but the tech was out when I came to pic up the car and I haven't made a point to go back and ask. I can call them in the morning and see if they can give me a specific harness to check if the tech is in.

That would be awesome

Thanks!

2014, says so in my signature :)

Ah. can’t see sig on phone unless i turn phone landscape...and i forgot about landscape trick til you said that... Doh!

I guess some websites simplify if it senses some device states...

This one FL1 connector has a lot of stereo signals through it. I'll check more tomorrow
1599794826424.png

1599794928183.png

1599794965945.png

I’m having the same issue, and happened after playing around in the kick Panel. Wondering if this is my issue too. 🤔
Ken - I know this is not much help and you already checked there, but I'd double check your connections under the glove box area. I had the same issue on my 2016 earlier this year (lost all sound). No sound would work on any sources (SAT, AM/FM, AUX, USB, Bluetooth, Phone calls, etc.). I was working under the glove box feeding some wires through the firewall and after finishing, I noticed I didn't have any sound through the stereo. I couldn't figure it out, so I took it to the dealership. They had it for days tearing the car apart - tested new amp, tested new head unit, tested new steering controls, etc. They were dumbfounded. But, they finally found the problem and said there was a loose connection with one of the wiring harnesses under the glove box. So, I must have jostled something loose. I wanted to know the exact connector that was loose, but the tech was out when I went to pick up the car and I haven't made a point to go back and ask. I can call them in the morning and see if they can give me a specific harness to check if the tech is in.

I was rewiring my rear power set and after I was done the stereo stopped outputting sound. All other functions seemed to work. I took the Tesla out and reinstalled the stock stereo and got the same thing

I replaced the stock stereo and the same thing

I replaced the AMP1 and AMP2 fuses and no change. I was in the right kick panel with my wiring and don't see anything wrong. The connectors look fine and I demated them to inspect

I read in the factory manual if there is a problem with one speaker the amp may shut off

Kind of at a loss here. Lots of connectors and wires there.

Is there anyway to make sure there is sound coming out and bypass the Amplifier?

Any other suggestions? I am stuck at the moment and not sure what to do next

I know if the TV fuse goes the entire unit stops functioning. The units both seem to work fine except no sound
[/QUOTE
You have to reconnect the connection when the car is off. I reconnected when it was in and It didn’t work. It’s not a fuse.

You have to reconnect the connection when the car is off. I reconnected when it was in and It didn’t work. It’s not a fuse.

Thanks for the response, can you expand on what you mean?

You have to reconnect the DVD player while it’s in its chosen mode on the receiver.

I have a Tesla, so no DVD player

HOWEVER, I started it up today and the sound came on. Must have been the connectors I inspected and remated and the jiggling I did, I will have to keep an eye on it. Good thing is I dont have to go after the amp. :)

This post saved me a bunch of money and more time!!!!
I had no sound and the DVD player would not open

It was the FL1 plug. It had gotten a little green death in the connector.

DeoxIT D5 for the win once again.

Thank you for everyone that has posted.

How did you get to the plug? Through the glove box?

Installed my Tesla unit and no sound. I've double checked my wiring of the new unit and sent pics to EC Offroad to verify I didn't do anything obviously wrong. I am beginning to think I must have damaged or unseated some connector somewhere. As it happens, I did have the foot kicker panel off to access the area on the floor by the passenger door sill. I had done this weeks ago when I installed a antenna cable for my Ham radio. Maybe the FL1 plug has been kicked as I've been in and out of the truck about 1000 times doing the Tesla install. Nothing obvious is loose.

How to I test any of these plugs? Would seem I'd have to know what pin does what.

At this point, I am going to first inspect as many connectors and fuses as I can and if that doesn't find anything, I think I'll pull the Tesla unit out and reinstall the OEM stereo and see if I have sound. If I still don't have sound, then I will know I have something wrong in the truck wiring. If I get sound, that will mean it is the Tesla unit itself or the Tesla unit wiring harnesses. ugh.

Edit: is this the FL1 plug (bottom one with bolt retaining thingy)?

E1A7F3AA-54AA-4FA2-8FBB-66DB315BA802.jpeg

Last edited:
there is a fuse in the passenger kick panel, TV or something like that. That went out on me when I had an issue connecting and had no sound until found that fuse

not sure if that is your issue, but easy enough to check

there is a fuse in the passenger kick panel, TV or something like that. That went out on me when I had an issue connecting and had no sound until found that fuse

not sure if that is your issue, but easy enough to check
thanks. got the sound fixed. Issue was that there are two grey plugs that to to the amp port on the Tesla head unit. One on the main harness that you are not suppose to use and another on a separate harness that you are supposed to use. I used the separate harness/plug but when I installed the head unit I plugged in the wrong grey plug. Sounds works but no cameras... This is going pretty much as I figured it would....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom