Steering Rack Upgrade? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've upgraded my 2003 Land Cruiser to run longer travel suspension, and bigger 35" tires (285/75R18). Modifications include the Just Differentials kit (including upper control arms), SLEE DIfferential drop, regeared differentials, seam weld mod, & trimming. It's all good until I hit up the trails. With some serious rock crawling the steering rack and tie rods were severely damaged. I believe this is due to extremes of articulation between driver and passenger front tires pushing the rack beyond its range of motion limitations.

What options do I have to address this failure mode?

Maybe a rack from a different OEM application? Or an aftermarket rack?
Should I start to practice changing steering racks after every good trail? (that sounds awful).
I could run limit straps and reduce droop, but that's no fun!
I've seen a great-looking kit from Marlin Crawler for other Toyota IFS vehicles, but not for my beloved Land Cruiser.
Solid axle swap seems like way to much work and expense!
Have I simply maxed out this vehicle platform?
Or yeah, I could stick to the mall parking lots...

I'll be almost zero help here as I have no experience with this type of setup on the 100 BUT could it be as simple as your steering stoppers on lower control arm are missing and maybe it pushed the tie rods a bit too far. That + more extreme angles maybe just over stressed it?

Then again what the heck do I know???

I'll give some advice that noone else on this forum would dare give to someone, just go buy an old jeep lol . Tow it to the trails with your cruiser, beat the piss outta it, rebuild it, do it again. You'll have a lot more fun.

“the steering rack and tie rods were severely damaged.”

Can you explain what specific damage- broken outer tre? Separated inner TR?

There’s many here running 35” tires and 2”lifts that haven’t had steering rack failure from crawling rocks.

Driving technique has a greater effect on drivetrain longevity than the terrain alone. And the 100 series is a heavy ifs -such a great travel wheeler-but not an ideal rock crawler-

“the steering rack and tie rods were severely damaged.”

Can you explain what specific damage- broken outer tre? Separated inner TR?

There’s many here running 35” tires and 2”lifts that haven’t had steering rack failure from crawling rocks.

Driving technique has a greater effect on drivetrain longevity than the terrain alone. And the 100 series is a heavy ifs -such a great travel wheeler-but not an ideal rock crawler-
Yes, separated inner tie rids, and sloppy outer tie rods.
The recent trail running was done at very low speeds, and low power, but frequent full articulation while turning to the steering stops. Avoiding these types of trail situations would certainly help reduce service intervals!

Back to my original question- What options do I have to address this failure mode?
So far I've gathered two strong suggestions 1) Avoid these trails features. 2) Drive a different vehicle on those trails.
I'm considering a third option- installing limit straps on the front. This will reduce my hard fought articulation, but should be gentler on the steering rack/tie rods, and shocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom