Steering Rack Replacement, What's the Latest Word? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone have the correct part numbers for Whiteline bushings for the 2006 MY steering rack? I had made a note of Whiteline W13208 earlier this year. Now I am in a position to order them, but I just checked and can't find that PN on their website.

In January I ordered a set of 555 tie rod ends from Cruiser Teq (good service BTW). I had them installed along with an alignment. I had thought my camber was off (previous set of tires wore out at outer shoulder), but camber was OK. The tie rod ends definitely improved steering feel, but I still have looseness in the steering rack.

Does anyone have the correct part numbers for Whiteline bushings for the 2006 MY steering rack? I had made a note of Whiteline W13208 earlier this year. Now I am in a position to order them, but I just checked and can't find that PN on their website.

In January I ordered a set of 555 tie rod ends from Cruiser Teq (good service BTW). I had them installed along with an alignment. I had thought my camber was off (previous set of tires wore out at outer shoulder), but camber was OK. The tie rod ends definitely improved steering feel, but I still have looseness in the steering rack.
You can also get these... In stock.

Well, Looks like it will work fine after all!~

Yes some in mud have swap LX VGRS rack & pinions, with non VGRS LC R&P. But this doesn't tells us the difference or if difference matters in all driving situations.

I, as many, suspect it's a variation in gear ratio. One thing I do know; It will bolt in without issue. As lines, mounting points on frame and outer TRE all the same.

My truck is in a fab shop getting a lift and front and back winch bumpers...Yes I am broke. It's an OME 4" heavy spring lift in the back and OME torsion bars and shocks all around.

My concern is my rack. It holds power steering fluid perfectly, no known leaks. Put it drooping on a rack and a ton of power steering fluid leaks out. Is this that common LC100 "weeping" leak I hear about??

Looking for info on options. I saw the rack on ebay for $180 (aftermarket) and I have wondered if now is the time to throw one on, but I need to know the following:
1) Do I have time, as it's a common leak - people talk about the "weep" being common
2) Is it not really a problem since it only leaks on the rack
3) Is it actually ALWAYS leaking and I'm just finding out when the boots are drained by the angle of the droop when jacked up on a lift
4) Is my new 3" lift going to aggravate this issue?
5) Am I going to strain my rack going off road with my fixed up toy?
6) Should I have the OE rack removed and have a shop replace the seals with OE seals while it's in the shop anyways?

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I am BROKE with all this $4.50 gas and $400 groceries. The timing on the shop starting on my fab work after a YEAR waiting could not be worse financially.

Try AT-205 to get plasticizer back in the seals. It will likely slow down or stop the weep. Worked for me.

I've had very "limited" success using AT-205 to stop output shaft leaks. It's worth a try and may slow output leaks. But if leaks gets to point it is bothersome, replace or reseal your rack (have done by a re builder).

98-07 LC and 98-02 LX racks aren't that costly. So start saving and only buy OEM. If LX 03-07 VGRS rack, which are double the price. Best maybe to reseal. If have rebuilt, use OEM seal kit, inner TRE and boots is best..

Anyone feel it's hard to turn steering wheel at slow speed, when LC Rack & Pinon (R&P) used in VGRS system of the 03-07LX?
If this is the only issue using non VGRS R&P in VGRS system. I've no concerns and saving is very welcome!

But if causes over-steering at high speed, than I am concerned?

2 recent examples:

I had a built LX (03-07) w/ LC R&P (non VGRS R&P) in my shop. I was told its steers harder at low speed, than a similar built buddies LX. For me it was difficult to make the call, while driving in slow speed. It did feel a bit harder to turn at slow speed. But it's lifted, over sized tires, iron bumper, etc.,. So I'd expected to be a bit harder to steering in slow speed, compared to stock.

The very next LX in my shop w/VGRS (06LX) system, but with a non VGRS R&P and pure stock. It did feel a bit harder to turn at slow speed.

I welcome all feed back?

Geez , 1.5 years and only 20k miles and this Toyota remanufactured rack is total crap. From the initial install, done at Toyota, the bushings seem way to sloppy and I can watch the rack move. From day 1 I could also see white grease coming out from around the rubber boot. I've brought It back to Toyota twice to complain about it.

Anyway now the boot has failed and I'm going to be on the hook to repair all of this because it outlived it's pathetic 1 year warranty.
Screenshot_20221226-172531.png

When I've asking at Toyota parts department: "Who re-built?" They've no idea. It's my understanding all re-builders, have same issue we do. They can't get OEM bushings. Typically they all use non OEM: boots, inner TRE and seal kits also.

Bummer, hard to justify having to replace these expensive parts every 20k miles when Toyota is selling and installing them for me. The service manager is going to try and hit up Toyota for a warranty extension. I have been complaining about this rack since they installed it.

>> Can the boot or tie rod be replaced without removing the rack?

Bummer, hard to justify having to replace these expensive parts every 20k miles when Toyota is selling and installing them for me. The service manager is going to try and hit up Toyota for a warranty extension. I have been complaining about this rack since they installed it.

I guess since it's got red ATF leaking out of it the rack is leaking as well.

Boot and inner/outer tie rods can be replace on the truck.

Boot and inner/outer tie rods can be replace on the truck.
Roger that, I just can't justify spending more money on this. I just paid Toyota $1k + last year to get this all repaired. Can't believe how fast it failed.

Roger that, I just can't justify spending more money on this. I just paid Toyota $1k + last year to get this all repaired. Can't believe how fast it failed.
Are there any visible marking on the rack to know they installed a Toyota part and not aftermarket? The boots were held on by cheesy little plastic clips and Ive never seen a Toyota part fail this quickly with no abuse.

Are there any visible marking on the rack to know they installed a Toyota part and not aftermarket? The boots were held on by cheesy little plastic clips and Ive never seen a Toyota part fail this quickly with no abuse.
My new OEM rack definitely has metal bands, and I think they come with the Toyota boot kit but I'm not sure. I do know that the rebuild kit is available for my '99.

20221227_163422.jpg

My new OEM rack definitely has metal bands, and I think they come with the Toyota boot kit but I'm not sure. I do know that the rebuild kit is available for my '99.

View attachment 3202999
Thanks , I think I just got a junk remanufactured part. Really hoping Toyota helps out because I can't pay to replace this , again , within 20k miles , just over a year

What is the part number on your receipt?
44250-60050-84 . Does appear to be reman Toyota part number .

Since the install , last summer , ive been complaining to them about how sloppy the rack is . Even had a specialty alignment shop look at it and verify the rack is moving too much.

Fast forward to 18 months later , 6 months after the warranty is up, and the boot now failed. it appears to have some fluid leaking out too.

What are the odds Toyota helps with this ? Who knows , the service manager is pretty helpful and ha worked with me a bunch so we'll see . Can't possibly drop another grand on parts and labor to get this done.

Toyota parts ending in -84 = re-manufactured. It's a 50/50 shot they help you when a -84. Had it been new OEM part, it be a 90%.

Where as you can replace inner TRE and R&P (Rack & Pinion) boots, with R&P in place. This will not stop your leak.

Installing a -84 R&P, saves a few hundred on part cost. But as you now know, increases long term cost.

If this was my LC and Toyota willing to cover by extending warranty or not. I'd spring for new OEM R&P. New OEM LC R&P is a very good deal. You get all new OEM mounting bushings, inner TREs and boots in the deal.

It is also very import. The power steering reservoir and it's screen be cleaned out and the fluid (ATF) flushed on a regular basis. Also; outer TRE, ball joints and wheel bearings all tight. Any of these components loose which includes R&P bushings, affect each other.

Toyota parts ending in -84 = re-manufactured. It's a 50/50 shot they help you when a -84. Had it been new OEM part, it be a 90%.

Where as you can replace inner TRE and R&P (Rack & Pinion) boots, with R&P in place. This will not stop your leak.

Installing a -84 R&P, saves a few hundred on part cost. But as you now know, increases long term cost.

If this was my LC and Toyota willing to cover by extending warranty or not. I'd spring for new OEM R&P. New OEM LC R&P is a very good deal. You get all new OEM mounting bushings, inner TREs and boots in the deal.

It is also very import. The power steering reservoir and it's screen be cleaned out and the fluid (ATF) flushed on a regular basis. Also; outer TRE, ball joints and wheel bearings all tight. Any of these components loose which includes R&P bushings, affect each other.
Good advice. My entire front end is new, and my fluid is flushed every 30k. I just had the dealer flush the system a few weeks ago. Could they have screwed something up to cause this? Probably not, I think that I just got screwed with a crappy remanufactured rack.

Looks like McGeorge has some decent sale prices going right now for the option I need.

1672326415388.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom