Steering Rack replacement - What else to fix/ replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched - found a few threads about the steering rack replacement which I am not going to venture myself, but not much else about other things to take care of while the truck is under the knife.

L side of steering boot started weeping a fair amount of power steering fluid a couple of weeks ago, after much deliberation after replacing much of the front end myself, it was a hard pass.

Taking the truck to Mr.T next week to have the rack looked at and I'm assuming replaced, so I am wondering if it's worth having anything else on the front end replaced while it's there.

I feel like I've read in the timing belt threads maybe about it being worth replacing the differential bushing? anything else?

In the last 30k miles I've been chasing a L-sided popping which led to me swapping out L lower control arm, both outer tie rods, incidentally, replaced both CV axles. Popping is still there and I am wondering if it's actually coming from the rack itself.

I realize this may be vague but the truck is pushing 190k miles, daily driven, and my general approach is to take care of things before they become a major issue.

High pressure hose.

The steering rack itself has bushings. They vary depending on '02 and down or '03 and up. Those may come with the new rack but if not definitely replace those while you're in there.

I'm right there with you, about to hit 190k on my '07 and am starting to weep on the passenger side boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom