STEERING Noise....NOT another Vibration thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok,

I bought a 60 yesterday, 200K+.

It has had the front axle rebuilt, recent stabilizer, and tie rod ends......PO did not mention anything about drag links.

AND I SEARCHED for the issue, but all of the steering threads talk about vibration or sloppyness....

I do not have that.

While I was driving it during the 4 hour trip home, there was a little play, but the tires were old, and I think the toe was out, but it actually held the road pretty well.

Once, while turning around in a dirt parking lot, when hitting the bumps it felt like something was moving inside the steering column. The actual column does not move, but it felt like something inside was....a clunk clunk corresponding with the bumps....not at highway speeds on asphalt.

I took it and had new tires put on, had the toe adjusted.....and it seems the clunk clunk with bumps is a bit worse now....

Stock suspension, don't think it would be a spring/shock issue, how does the steering linkage work? Needs grease in a zert?

this is a pretty common feeling. check the spider joints (if that is the correct term) in the steering linkage.

I have a clunk in my front suspension when turning/flexing the springs. After replacing everything in the front (still with the clunk) I squirted some grease inbetween the spring leaves, and the clunk went away.

sounds like my problem, Leaf springs shifting and popping, I would try greasing the springs also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom