Steering issues from a spring over lift. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In my introduction to IH8Mud I was asked about possible steering issues as the previous owner did a spring over lift to my new to me FJ40. I haven't really driven it as I tore right into a body off restoration. In the process I have pushed the frame in and out of the garage several times. I noticed that it turns great left with an acceptable radius. The issue is right turns as the tie rod hits the right leaf spring limiting the right turn radius.
I thought my solution would be a Aqualu Industries right double steering arm however steering knuckles have a small bolt pattern and they only make them for late model large bolt patterns.
My second thought is to fabricate an angle to lower the Center arm bracket assembly. Now is the best time to make modifications however I'm not sure how it would affect the rest of the mechanism as the body and steering column are no on the frame.
Thanks for any wisdom forthcoming.
20220907_145136.jpg
20220907_145152.jpg
20220907_145152.jpg
20220907_145314.jpg

Or get real swanky and grab some six-shooters. Buy once, cry once and all...

Upgrade to large pattern knuckles and hi-steer arms, done.
I was gonna say go back to spring under but, now that I see the photos and that bumper, never mind.

To echo the others, you need Hi-Steer. This will replace the two steering arms with models that put your tie-rod above the leaf springs.

If you in deed have small knuckles (46 mm x 30 mm, 11 mm stud), check with 4x4 Labs, he offered small pattern hi-steer. Or track down a used small pattern double steering arm or best yet, upgrade your knuckles to the 1979+ with the 55 mm x 30 mm, 12 mm stud large pattern.

This will also require a custom drag-link to be made, which you'll want to do anyways with larger tires and severe off-road use imo.

Large pattern knuckles and proper high steer or go back to SUA. Anything in between is a waste of time

I looked at the options and found the six shooter the best option with the exception of price.
I ordered 60 knuckles and an Aqualu Steering arm. Thanks for all the input. All the options were valid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom