Steering Gear Box for Rent? :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any of y'all have a spare steering gearbox laying around that I could rent, while I send my leaky one off to West Texas? Also, I vaguely remember a couple more options for folks doing the rebuild...anyone remember?

You'd be better served by buying a steering box and sending it off to West Texas, then replacing the box you have, if you want to minimize downtime.

For more options, are you talking about upgrades or modifications "while you're in there"? Other than porting for hydro assist, there isn't anything to change.

Also, there are differences in gear boxes over the years, so knowing your month/year of production helps prevent fitment surprises.

And shipping on these things is killer, cuz they're heavy. I'd recommend trying to find a suitable replacement locally, that you can then ship to WTOR.

Also, there are differences in gear boxes over the years, so knowing your month/year of production helps prevent fitment surprises.

And shipping on these things is killer, cuz they're heavy. I'd recommend trying to find a suitable replacement locally, that you can then ship to WTOR.

To elaborate on the differences, within the FJ60/FJ62 production run, there were two steering boxes, early and late, changing mid-85 IIRC. The late FJ60 and FJ62 boxes are identical.

I think a 17mm and a 12mm socket, is all you need to rebuild it yourself. It's not as difficult as it seems. Getting all the bearings back in place place can be a little frustrating if you don't have an extra pair of hands to help you... There's one seal that's next to impossible, if you don't know the trick, but the trick is simple. Ask @NeverGiveUpYota about the trick. Paint it, if you want it to look pretty. Total cost, about $150-$175 if you go with the Toyota kit, much less if you go with the "Brand X" kit. Total downtime, about one afternoon.

A FJ80 or FZJ80 box will bolt right up to a later model frame too. I thought the switch was closer to 84, but it may be mid 85

Dyno

I think a 17mm and a 12mm socket, is all you need to rebuild it yourself. It's not as difficult as it seems. Getting all the bearings back in place place can be a little frustrating if you don't have an extra pair of hands to help you... There's one seal that's next to impossible, if you don't know the trick, but the trick is simple. Ask @NeverGiveUpYota about the trick. Paint it, if you want it to look pretty. Total cost, about $150-$175 if you go with the Toyota kit, much less if you go with the "Brand X" kit. Total downtime, about one afternoon.

It's very easy right Ryan, @CaptClose and Jim, @CenTXFJ60? :) We've all done it w/ success.

Y'all are rolling me here. Seriously? I don't need a double articulated diambulation press to get it all back together? Did y'all just follow the FSM? What is the trick?

I don't even think you need the FSM. It's pretty straightforward. There's a video on YouTube Felicity pointed me to, of s guy doing his jeep box. It's very similar. You will be able to at least see what's involved.

Y'all are rolling me here. Seriously? I don't need a double articulated diambulation press to get it all back together? Did y'all just follow the FSM? What is the trick?
I did it back in May. First thing I ever rebuilt and I have literally zero experience. It's really not that hard. Removing the box from the truck is the hardest part. Pull the Pittman from it then take the box off the truck. Way easier than removing together.

IMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG
Look under "60 Series FAQS" and you'll see a box reseal thread. This is the most detailed one I've seen and I referenced it on both jobs I did. There are really two tricks. One he shows is using a dremel to bevel the inner edge of the case. It's easier to show vs explaining in writing. At least for me:). The second trick is getting the nylon and rubber O-rings in just prior to putting the sector shaft back in. Felicity showed us this one and it works. It's one of the last steps before the dust seal and sector shaft. You'll make the heart shape with the nylon one and carefully set it into its place....then (VERY IMPORTANT) carefully slide the washer and C clip back into place and then u can work the nylon bushing back into its correct shape. At this step feel free to call (713-805-3962) any of us and we can explain what to do. Here r some pics. Also, I used the toyo kit on my sons ($120-150) and West TX's kit on mine (attached pics). They swear the after market ones works every bit as good as the Toyo one. I believe it was like $45. Also, one pic is the internals. You can see that a press is not required. You'll want the pitman arm pulley and possibly one for the tie rod. I bought the cheapos at Oriellys and they work great. Good luck and let us know if we can help.

Here's the link to the FAQ thread, Power Steering Gearbox Reseal

There are few little tricks to getting it done, but it's not bad. There's a learning curve to the Teflon seals....but not a terrible job in my opinion.

I'm meeting up with @cruisermatt next week, who lives in Orlando. I've got a 60 box in need of a rebuild you can have free for nothin'. Interested?

And @bucfl is in Tampa and has to come visit me in Orlando to get his rock sliders fitted... sounds like a match made in heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom