Steering Effort Between a 93-94 and a 95-97. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tracking down a heavy steering issue on my '97 LX in another thread. I've heard on more than one occasion now that the '95-97's have heavier steering than a '93-'94. Wanted to get some more opinions on the matter. I've had the luxury of owning a '93 for 8 years (sold) and I will say, the steering on it was nowhere near as heavy as on my new-to-me '97. That being said, I still am not sure I don't have an issue causing the heavy steering on the '97. I'm continuing to chip away at it (nothing glaringly obvious yet).

So, those that have had experience in both year ranges, what say you? I'm having a hard time believing a soccer mom in her new 450 in 1997 would be able to parallel park if the steering was indeed this heavy from the factory. :p If they are indeed heavier than a '93-'94, what's the mechanical difference responsible for it? PS pump, gearbox differences?

Thanks!

My 93 and 96 feel exactly the same. I believe there are no part differences between them so idk what the difference would be.

Yah, I've never heard of any differences in steering components between the years. Minor engine differences, OBDI / II, and completely different trans obviously.

My 93 and 96 feel exactly the same. I believe there are no part differences between them so idk what the difference would be.

since we drove the '93 80 over from Louisiana in early 2018, I have driven the 80 and the '97 LX450 on the very same roads and trails in Arizona, repeatedly

even before it came to AZ, the 80 felt tighter than the LX, and continued to do so after getting new Dobinson springs last year - they both have the yellow caster correction bushings, they both have OME lifts of the same height, and yet the LX -even with new OME shocks installed just a few weeks ago- feels slightly looser in the steering, and has slightly more body roll (yes, sway bar bushings are brand new on the LX as well)

not enough of a difference to get spun up about, I just attribute it to the character of the vehicle :meh:

Won’t be able to truly compare unless you had both in the same condition or state of mod including a brand new oem steering gear box, pump, fluids, tires, suspension components etc.
Gl!

91-94 steering pump -80 kg/cm2
95-97 pump - 110 kg/cm2

2.8 mm shim under valve spring in pump raise up pressure to 115-120 kg/cm2 on 91-94 pump
Dang, I stand corrected. I never would’ve even considered there would be internal differences in the pumps.

OEM PS pump part # lists 93-97 so not sure there are? At least on new pumps you can buy today, that is.
Dang, I stand corrected. I never would’ve even considered there would be internal differences in the pumps.

@harrydunn : since owning the 97 model FZJ80 have you performed a complete front axle service (inspect/replace trunion bearings)?

Reason I ask, my 96 model FZJ80 became a bit harder to steer and when the front axle was pulled apart I found the trunnion bearings were trashed, broken into pieces.

Once the trunnion bearings were replaced along with the rest of the front axle service the steering effort became lighter.

FWIW

Yah, PO did a complete axle service in 2021. I've done a few and it looks like he did a good job. I popped the top knuckle trunnion cap off on each side to see if anything had grenaded and all looks good. Bearings are smooth. Small little detent in the straight forward position. I'm leaning towards weak PS pump at this point. With the wheels in the air there is not much difference in turning the steering wheel with the engine on vs off. I've removed the drag link and TRE's and the knuckles turn easily by hand. I've got a new PS pump coming with high pressure hose. It is weeping but not groaning, etc. Really hoping that is it. I suppose gearbox will be last if this doesn't fix things. I'm in central Missouri so not a lot of 80 owners around here that I could ask to drive theirs to compare. That would be ideal.

@harrydunn : since owning the 97 model FZJ80 have you performed a complete front axle service (inspect/replace trunion bearings)?

Reason I ask, my 96 model FZJ80 became a bit harder to steer and when the front axle was pulled apart I found the trunnion bearings were trashed, broken into pieces.

Once the trunnion bearings were replaced along with the rest of the front axle service the steering effort became lighter.

Forgot to ask. I've never seen anybody say anything about the intermediate shaft u-joint. I'm guessing if it did wear, it would just make things looser, not tighter.

To date:

Replaced leaking low pressure hoses
Checked trunnion bearings
Checked crank bolt torque

To do:

New PS pump
New high pressure line
Gearbox rebuild by Redhead (maybe)

Not sure what else it can be.

Welp, new pump is in and the steering effort is better. I think I'll go ahead and have Redhead rebuild the gearbox at some point since that will be literally the last thing that isn't new/rebuilt in the steering system. Forgot to throw the new o-ring on the suction side tube metal section so that was fun to drain the reservoir to undo that line and pop in the o-ring. It was leaking with the old o-ring.

91-94 steering pump -80 kg/cm2
95-97 pump - 110 kg/cm2

2.8 mm shim under valve spring in pump raise up pressure to 115-120 kg/cm2 on 91-94 pump

Just to confirm - this works on a 3FE pump as well? 91-92? Wouldn't hate a little more steering assist.

Sorry very poor cell reception dont want ti hijack thread.Need urgent kel
Suddenly ac and electric windows stopped working.All fuses are ok.Any suggeztions
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom