Steering Box Gear FJ60/1982 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.weltrekordreise.ch
Hi everybody,

We are the “around-world-60-series-thread” (Trail Jan./Feb.2007), currently with our FJ60/1982 on the French island of Reunion in the Indian Ocean, after having driven 414’000 miles through 172 different countries. Exactly on this beautiful but nearly “LandCruiser-free” place I face a growing problem: The steering gear. If I want to drive towards the left - the right is always fine - I meet a resistance while turning the steering wheel. I can overcome this resistance with a bit of power or much easier by turning the steering wheel a little bit to the right and then left again. My understanding is that the “power piston nut gear tooth” on the “cross shaft” or the “cross shaft gear tooth” in the “valve body” might be worn out. As here on the island no special tool is available, I don’t dare to open that steering gear box for not being able to assemble it again.
Now my questions: Providing that this resistance doesn’t grow considerably, how long might I be able to continue to a place where I can look for a replacement from a s**** yard? Is there a risk that while driving I might loose contact with the steering? I found at SOR L.A. a new “cross shaft” for $466 or a rebuilt “steering gear box” for $1195. Our drawback is that all of our “next” possible destinations are RHD-countries where driving is done on the left hand side. As far is I know it’s only the “cross shaft” that can be used for LHD- and RHD-driving. So - what to do and what’s the risk?

Emil
www.weltrekordreise.ch

HS bad font color choice.

Hi everybody,
We are the “around-world-60-series-thread” (Trail Jan./Feb.2007), currently with our FJ60/1982 on the French island of Reunion in the Indian Ocean, after having driven 414’000 miles through 172 different countries. Exactly on this beautiful but nearly “LandCruiser-free” place I face a growing problem: The steering gear. If I want to drive towards the left - the right is always fine - I meet a resistance while turning the steering wheel. I can overcome this resistance with a bit of power or much easier by turning the steering wheel a little bit to the right and then left again. My understanding is that the “power piston nut gear tooth” on the “cross shaft” or the “cross shaft gear tooth” in the “valve body” might be worn out. As here on the island no special tool is available, I don’t dare to open that steering gear box for not being able to assemble it again.
Now my questions: Providing that this resistance doesn’t grow considerably, how long might I be able to continue to a place where I can look for a replacement from a s**** yard? Is there a risk that while driving I might loose contact with the steering? I found at SOR L.A. a new “cross shaft” for $466 or a rebuilt “steering gear box” for $1195. Our drawback is that all of our “next” possible destinations are RHD-countries where driving is done on the left hand side. As far is I know it’s only the “cross shaft” that can be used for LHD- and RHD-driving. So - what to do and what’s the risk?
Emil
www.weltrekordreise.ch

Hi Emil, You can find a gear box much cheaper in the classifieds section here than from SOR. Post up in the parts wanted section and you may even find someone who will send you one for the cost of shipping to keep you on your journey.

I got mine rebuilt at WTO (west tx off-road)... working good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom