Starting FJ60 thats been sitting issues. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ChaserFJ60

Owner of CruiserHead.com
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiserhead.com
We turned this FJ60 over for the first time in 4 years yesterday, it has
New fuel pump/filter
Restored gas tank
New fuel lines
Professionaly redone carb
New coolant lines
New vacuum lines
Blocked off carb heater

Idles like poo, fuel cut off solenoid wont work so we have it bypassed on. Only runs with half choke and assistance with gas pedal.
we're doing a compression check tommoro but i think its a bad HG or bad valve, any thoughts?
Will post compression results tommoro.

@Noneya Bitness
@Robert Franzke

Also try adjusting the valves, look for a crack in the intake manifold. Let's hope it's not the rings. Mike

Also try adjusting the valves, look for a crack in the intake manifold. Let's hope it's not the rings. Mike

Did a visual check on the intake manifold with it off, i didnt see any cracks. It was within spec accordong to the manual so i reinstalled it with a new gasket. Hopfully its all good and just needs a valve adjustment.

Why was it neglected and allowed to sit & rot for 4 years?

Why was it neglected and allowed to sit & rot for 4 years?

I went over to see this truck yesterday as its local to me and I am always up for checking another 60 series. I'll let @ChaserFJ60 fill in the blanks on this but I think the previous owner couldn't get it to idle properly. Tried to get it working with a carb rebuild but that didn't work. Never could get it working so it sat around and finally was sold to the new owner who is now trying to get it going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Could be anything .Probably more than 1 thing. Are the vacuum lines all old ? Gas old ? Valves or gaskets ? Mike

Hi, Could be anything .Probably more than 1 thing. Are the vacuum lines all old ? Gas old ? Valves or gaskets ? Mike

New vacuum lines, completely new fuel system minus charcoal canister and vapor separator. New gas. Engine valves are unkown. Im going to bring my borescope today and take some pics of the valves.

Any comments/suggestions that help us figure this out are welcome and appreciated.

I wanted to clarify that the PO is one of my best friends. He's a good guy. He was in the middle of troubleshooting this issue, and then life happened so he had to let it sit. I bought it knowing he hadn't finished the troubleshooting process. So, no blame to him, please.

That being is said; it did sit for a while, so we've taken steps to help mitigate the effects of that. I feel like we may be back to the point where the previous owner was. We can keep it idled with the choke pulled out (about half way), but push in the choke and it dies right away.

I'm so excited to be at the stage where we've got it started and are just trying to get it tuned. It's a major milestone after it's set for so long. @ChaserFJ60 has taken the lead in making this happen, and I am so grateful for his expertise. He knows a lot about 60s, and I'd be lost without his guidance.

Also I'd like to thank @Robert Franzke for coming over and helping with the troubleshooting.

I went over to see this truck yesterday as its local to me and I am always up for checking another 60 series. I'll let @ChaserFJ60 fill in the blanks on this but I think the previous owner couldn't get it to idle properly. Tried to get it working with a carb rebuild but that didn't work. Never could get it working so it sat around and finally was sold to the new owner who is now trying to get it going.

This is correct EXCEPT, the previous owner took off the carb, but then it sat outside for 18-24 months. Then i bought it (not running, with the carb off) and kept it in a garage for another 18-24 months. Early on in that process, I sent the carb to Mark's Offroad (@65swb45 ) in Burbank for a rebuild/restore. When he sent it back, it sat in a box until about a month ago when we finally put it back on.

The vehicle is mostly stock, so it's got the smoghetti in place. Not able to pull a vacuum, as in the video in the first post.

Also, what's with the white smoke/steam coming from the carb, as seen in the video in the first post? It'll do that even if we just started for a few seconds.

The engine has a monster vacuum leak. That's the primary reason it won't idle.
1. Make sure that the EGR valve isn't stuck open
2.. Check the compression in each cylinder
3. Look carefully at all the vacuum hoses and pipes. Make sure there's nothing unattached or open to atmosphere

The engine has a monster vacuum leak. That's the primary reason it won't idle.
1. Make sure that the EGR valve isn't stuck open
2.. Check the compression in each cylinder
3. Look carefully at all the vacuum hoses and

We did a compression check today and the results were good. We solved the violent vacuum rattle, replaced the Emission control computer and got the fuel cutoff solenoid working properly. Vacuum is still around 5 mmhg max @ 10. Spraying starter fluid below the rear of the intake manifold made the engine rev up so im going to investigate that tomorrow aswell as check the EGR valve.

When it does fire it will run without the choke but it needs constant help from the gas pedal. The engine sounds like it wants to run but it slowly runs down untill it dies.

Kudos to having a backup. Not many of those to be found now. Many just resolder the connections.

First try bringing up the Idle Speed screw. Its located closest to the forward corner of the carb base on the right side (firewall), turn it inward while its running say 1/4-1/2 and let the truck slowly settle into it for say 30-60 seconds. Could also be the IM screw needs adjusting too but that one is a tad more tricky. What does the tack say while its idling and then slowly dying? A stock idle rpm is 650 but some of these trucks run better at 700-750 ish.

There are some great gurus in TX... I am not familiar with where Dallas is but @CenTXFJ60 and his gang get together at his barn frequently to problem solve and wrench.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom