Starter failure: what are the signs? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks --

I have a 2011 LX with 150k miles on the clock. Starter is original.

Never had any issues until tonight. Here's what happened...
  • Tried to start and nothing happened (maybe some clicking?)
  • Pressed start again and didn't start
  • Pressed start again and heard clicking
  • Turned vehicle off and waited 30 seconds
  • Pressed start and the starter turned over ... but for significantly longer than normal ... and then the engine started
  • Drove the car later in the evening and it started up fine/normally several times after that
Thoughts?

It is time to replace the starter? If so, what's the current wisdom on which one to buy and how to go about it? (I'm busy and so will be asking my Toyota indie to do the job.)

Thx!

Charley

Start at the battery and check charging system before you replace starter. Corrosion can also kill the terminals and travel the entire length of the cable.

Hi folks --

• Pressed start and the starter turned over ... but for significantly longer than normal ... and then the engine started
  • Drove the car later in the evening and it started up fine/normally several times after that
Thoughts?

It is time to replace the starter? If so, what's the current wisdom on which one to buy and how to go about it? (I'm busy and so will be asking my Toyota indie to do the job.)

Thx!

Charley

Often, the signs are nothing before it completely fails. You're lucky that it gave you a warning shot. There's enough of us that have experienced this firsthand and even the best attempts may not result in another start. Most fail around this mileage or earlier.

You're now on borrowed time and I would not count on it for even one more start. It's a doozy of a repair so you really don't want to get caught out with this one.

How old is your battery? That’s where I would start. If/ when it’s time to replace the starter, I’d buy oem from Toyota and pay a shop to install and warranty it. Do the valley pan gasket while you’re in there.

How old is your battery? That’s where I would start. If/ when it’s time to replace the starter, I’d buy oem from Toyota and pay a shop to install and warranty it. Do the valley pan gasket while you’re in there.

Is the valley pan gasket really a "while you're there" type item? I thought the alternator might be a better job if it hasn't been done already.

Hi folks --

Thoughts?

Thx!

Charley
This is the OEM that Cruiser Outfitters sells.

Is the valley pan gasket really a "while you're there" type item? I thought the alternator might be a better job if it hasn't been done already.
I’m not an expert, but I’m told the starter is in the valley, and so it might make sense for your mechanic to look for signs of coolant and then address the job if necessary.

I’m not an expert, but I’m told the starter is in the valley, and so it might make sense for your mechanic to look for signs of coolant and then address the job if necessary.
For the 3UR, the starter is under the passenger side exhaust manifold.

Mine sounded a little funny and took a beat longer to start maybe 5 times, and then it died for good. 155k-ish miles. I'd say you're on borrowed time. Bring the LX to the shop or park it where you plan to work on it and don't start it up again. Starter is buried under the exhaust manifold and replacement is a major undertaking (poor design, IMO).

Last edited:
You’re thinking of the 100 series engine.

@tbisaacs likely named the engine designation. I’m not that high speed.

Can also be bad ground to the starter, so verify that before swapping the starter, but at 150k miles, it's a stranding waiting to happen.

Can also be bad ground to the starter, so verify that before swapping the starter, but at 150k miles, it's a stranding waiting to happen.

By the time you access the ground at the starter you should just replace the starter especially at that mileage

By the time you access the ground at the starter you should just replace the starter especially at that mileage
Do you recommend doing the alternator too? Mine just went out at 225k and I'm not certain if the alternator has been done.

I would guess its not the starter, but get it to your shop and let them do their thing. Either way, you don't want to be stuck without a way to start the engine and ruin your busy day.

If you have the ways to diagnose, I agree with checking the battery, terminals, etc first. Most starters fail quickly and without warning. If you are starting fine now, its probably low/inconsistent voltage in the electrical system.

Do you recommend doing the alternator too? Mine just went out at 225k and I'm not certain if the alternator has been done.

Sorry if I jump in here. Having done both, I'm not sure it's advantageous from a labor perspective? They are both hung low on the passenger side of the motor. But the starter is towards the back of the motor mount interacting with ring gear on the output of the engine. The alternator is towards the front driven by the the accessory belt.

Sorry if I jump in here. Having done both, I'm not sure it's advantageous from a labor perspective? They are both hung low on the passenger side of the motor. But the starter is towards the back of the motor mount interacting with ring gear on the output of the engine. The alternator is towards the front driven by the the accessory belt.

Yea agree here. Not much labor savings if that’s your motivating factor.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input.

I'm taking it in tomorrow to my indie to get it done. I'll have them test the battery, etc. as well.

But regardless, I will have them replace the starter since we take the truck to remote destinations (camping in the desert; skiing in the mountains). Reliability is important to us.

The all-in price is higher than I was hoping ($860), but I like the shop and they've treated me well in the past. I'm in the Bay Area so prices are high. The other quotes I got from local indie shops were even higher ($1,200 - $1,400!).

Having them do the drive belt as well (due at 150k).

Here's to another 150k miles :)

P.S. @supercarrera - thanks again for the tip on the shop .. you know where I'm heading

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom