This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

burtlively

SILVER Star
Threads
I probably know the answer to this after exhaustive searching, but I wanted to throw it out there to see if there is even the slightest hope. For background I am about as mechanically inclined as a bowel movement, so that could be the ultimate limiting factor, but I do know some fairly bright mechanics who could help. Anyway I have a 2008 LX570 with 360,000 miles give or take. While at my in-laws over the holidays, my starter failed. Why I even attempted to repair myself is still a mystery, but I was able to secure a remanufactured starter from AutoZone (yes I know it‘s crap, but it was all I could do given my circumstances), and get me back on the road. After this debacle I began to wonder about the inevitable future failures in my current vehicle as well as my Tundra and wife’s Sequoia. Is there any possible way to relocate the starter to an easier to access location? Is there any way to modify an “emergency” wire or some type of switch to alow for an emergency start so we aren’t stranded in a less than desirable location? After reading through pages of information I believe the answer is no on both, but this forum is a wealth of information with a lot of folks WAY smarter than I, so I thought I’d give the specific conversation a whirl. Thanks in advance for any input any of you may have.

The starter itself can't be relocated as it must be able to interface with the ring gear on the flex plate, so it has to be where it is. (without some very expensive custom machined components that is...)

There is a trick with a long screwdriver and a set of jumper cables that can be used to bypass a bad solenoid as a fix to get it started and back home.

Many folks would tell you that you should replace the starter on a high mileage 5.7L Toyota pre-emptively, and that is not a bad plan. I personally hate replacing good parts.

So, were you able to get the Autozone Starter installed? If so, I'd imagine the second one will go easier. For the $200 a new factory starter costs, I'd make plans to replace that one with an OEM starter before too long.

If you were able to replace the starter on your LX570 in the driveway of your in-laws I'd say you have at least some mechanical aptitude. I assume the starter location on a 2008 is the same as newer models. Not an easy job even with a lift and a full shop set of tools.

As far as a starter relo goes, I don't see how that would be possible short of an engine swap. Maybe something could be done with a remote solenoid but I don't see how that would really help with a failed starter. I did think about installing a heavy cable on my starter when I replaced it and running the cable to a convenient location under the hood to facilitate an easier, "long screwdriver" method of starting but that only helps if the failure is the contacts in the OEM solenoid. Personally, I'd just replace as PM at 150K (or maybe sooner). I carried a new OEM starter as a spare with me just so I'd have one if my starter died before I replaced it as PM. IMO, it isn't really a trail repair item but having the part with me would save the time of finding the new one and avoid the Autozone reman.

Depends what failed. If the brushes failed, nothing you could do about that. If the solenoid failed, I imagine it would be possible to remote the solenoid so you could easily replace it or manually trigger it, but would it be worth it to go through that exercise?

On our starters it's almost always the contacts that fail, so a heavy gauge wire run to a convenient location could be a good failsafe method. But, you'd still need two people to start it (one to hit the button so the ECM knows when, and another to make the connection with a jumper cable), and the work to get in there is basically the same as changing a starter. Given the last fact, most people just change theirs as PM to avoid the problem in the first place.

Knowing it's usually the contacts when I did mine around 125k I just changed the solenoid and kept the motor portion.. working great now at 200.

Don't.

Modifications often invite new and different failure modes. You'll likely create more issues than you'll solve.

Proactive maintenance is the best way to a reliable rig.

Great job on doing a tough fix at your inlaws. I did the same but it was for an alternator which is another doozy.

Modifications often invite new and different failure modes. You'll likely create more issues than you'll solve.

Great point. What I didn’t say is that large gauge wire rubbing on something and making contact with a component that is grounded is a quick way to a car fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom