Started, Squealed, smoked. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i recently moved to WA and I drove my fj60. I have been hearing these little squeaks and it sounded like it was coming from the belt. a few days later I start it and give it a little gas and it starts squealing and smoking from under the hood. i looked at the belt and the one connected to the ac compressor was somewhat shredded looking. what seems to be the problem?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that your compressor is seized. Cut the belt and run without AC.... Or pony up the cash and get a new compressor.

X2 on the smog pump, just gutted mine this weekend. :D

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that your compressor is seized. Cut the belt and run without AC.... Or pony up the cash and get a new compressor.
i actually dont have ac, its a 2f does the belt that runs on the ac compressor and bottom of the power steering pump actually do anything other than make the ac run? its doing me no good right now

From the way it sounds like it's set up (which does not sound like stock set up), if you take the AC belt off you will loose your PS

im wrong. i apologize its the smog pump belt. im trying to remove the belt to find out if that is the issue. how do i release the tension on the belt. ive loosened the short and long bolt but it still wont move. am i missing a bolt?

the air pump is the tension point.
as long as local vehicle inspection codes say you don't need it, you can dump it and bunch of the other rubber octopus mess under the hood.

It's your smog pump that siezed. Common problem. At 25+ years, you now longer are required to do smog inspections in Washington state. So you can remove/disable your smog pump. There are a number of options. It's illegal to do so, but nobody will look under your hood to see what's up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom