SSDS - Stupid and Selfish Dealership Stories (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine is serviced based, but, here we have a toyota dealership that will work on your lexus. Was driving an '00 es300 and it had the knock sensors (among many other things over the year I had it) go bad.
I took it in, and they did the repair and provided me a loaner.

To start, off they called me on my way to work on a Monday (was told i'd have the loaner until Weds) and said that since the ticket was closed out, they closed out the loaner as well, so they didn't have insurance on it and could I please bring it back? I figured sure, why not.

I had moved my shovels, etc the day before, since we were in transition from listing our house to moving somewhere. The loaner had the heavy duty rubber matting throughout so I knew it could be cleaned pretty easily.

So, I get to the dealer and pull in, go to get my key & talk to service adviser.

I come out to find the porter/whatever he is called (hereby referenced to as "mr. clean") is losing his mind due to the dirt in the vehicle.
First things out of his mouth:
"This is a problem, there are scratches everywhere, did you get all this dirt in here?" ::takes my gloves out of the back and tosses them on the ground::

I. was. pissed. Told him that the vehicle was not cleaned because I was called to bring it in early.

"Well that's management, you have to help clean this".

Yeah no, I went straight to the service adviser and said your guy out there is giving me a hard time. He started apologizing and beelining it to the bay, where mr. clean was on his phone with his manager.

I wouldn't have been so mad if I hadn't been treated dismissively by mr. clean when I started telling him it is not very hard to clean, simply needs a vigorous wiping- thanks to 'mud and my time working at various part stores, I know what is light dirt and how to clean it easily. Clearly this person did not know any of this.
He then proceeds to pull the mat out of the back of the loaner and finally decided to see if it was cleanable before I left, so he was in the back power washing it, while a line of cars is forming in the bay (no matter where you go in Manassas Virginia, traffic will always accumulate).

In the mean time I am getting my things out of the loaner and moving them to my Lexus, which in the midst of all this, the service adviser pulled up for me.

As I finish moving things into my car & admire the nice procession which is now forming in the bay due to the abandonment of the loaner in search of acceptable cleaning measure, by mr. clean, he comes over and starts apologizing and proceeds to tell me what I already tried to tell him, that there are no scratches (duh), and he only acted that way because someone brought a highlander in once that had been used to move heavy objects and caused $1,200 of damage.

Cool story bro.

I was polite enough to inform him that just because other people that come in here don't know anything about cars doesn't mean I don't, and the vehicle was only brought in due to being in the middle of a move with 2 toddlers and a pregnant wife.

Shouldn't have had to give an explanation in the first place.

I'll say, i've heard enough horror stories that i've never brought a vehicle to a dealer for service. I've had too many friends or whoever who do the "free maintenance" thing only to be given a laundry list of "critical" service that needs to be done every time they take their cars in. Firestone places that will break your car so you have to pay them to fix it. Too often in other services the same thing. When my girlfriend bought her house, she had HVAC service come out to check on heater and air. All of which had been inspected 3 weeks prior. Service man brings out the heat exchanger that clearly had holes from a tool in it and told her he had to disable the system and that she had to get a new heating system. Needless to say, we told that person to take a hike, but at that point he had destroyed our heater and we had to pay someone to come replace it. I'm generally optimistic, but it seems more often than not, finding an honest service person isn't easy. I'm lucky that there is a mechanic that by all accounts is extremely honest in my neighborhood, so i don't fear needing to take my 200 in if i need to.

I don't walk into dealerships "looking for cars" anymore. I always pick what i want, start a conversation with a salesman through online sales, come in for a test drive, then make an offer or don't, or if vehicle is out of my area, assume it's fine and do all of the negotiating through email/phone and then come in to inspect. I have no patience for most car dealers anymore. Of the last 5 cars I've bought, I've yet to talk to a salesman who had any idea what they were selling, so selling cars clearly isn't their function to me. They are no more than the middle man between me and the service writer at this point.

I went to look at a prerunner years ago (didn’t buy it but in hindsight should have)

The salesman had been bragging about how he just sold 2 1794 edition tundras.

I decided to see if car salesmen were as dumb as everyone said they are, and asked him if the truck I was looking at was front wheel drive or rear wheel drive. He paused, and confidently told me it was front wheel drive.

Story time!

Just this past weekend I picked up a 2016 200 at a Toyota dealership about six hours away - so twelve hours round trip plus time at dealer. Similar to others, I assumed everything was perfect on the truck and negotiated everything over text. Crazy to think purchases like that can be done over text, but I've been burned in the past and unfortunately just have to have everything in writing now. Truck was a good deal to begin with and knew it would move quick, so text would be best to get quick responses and move things along. After we agreed on a discounted price (and a solid value for my trade) this past Tuesday, I told him to get everything ready, I'll see you at about noon Friday. And I stress to make sure everything is ready, because I'm driving up, inspecting, signing, and driving back home. This is going to be a big day.

Hit the road at about 06:00 and made good time to arrive at 11:30. Do a quick lap around the lot expecting it to be parked up front with no sign of it. Make contact with the sales guy and says I showed up a little early, but it's just getting its finishing touches on a detail for delivery. Okay, fine, I figure they're buttoning up a quick wash.

I told him that I'm appreciative that they want it to look its very best, but I clearly do not have time for this. Not to mention, I'll be driving through south Georgia and north Florida in the early stages of spring with pollen and a million bugs are going to be killed on this trip. 30 minutes go by, no truck. An hour goes by, more excuses and I'm getting frustrated. I still haven't even seen the damned thing. I tell them we need to get this pushed and to bring me to the detailing area. Walk down...Nope. This is a full on detail with orbital buffers, compound, the works. Oh, and just finishing? No, they just started. Two more hours go by and I'm standing at the detailing bay to watch it be pulled out for my first real look at it. They yelled at me a few times when I opened it up while they were detailing, but sorry, I've got things to do my man.

To my relief, the truck is in fantastic shape - detail aside. It still has the original window sticker, both rear headphones and remote, every piece of literature, brand new Michelins, recirculating door works, clean undercarriage, all functions work...just a solid truck. Take it for a drive and it's better than lower mileage ones I've driven. Okay, wait was worth it, let's finish this up so I can get home.

...They hadn't even drafted the paperwork up yet. Of which, I found inconsistencies. Things like the final price reflected a number that round-about included sales tax, yet the sales tax block showed $0.00.

I got home around 22:00

They love to play games.

I have several stories about my local Toyota dealer’s service writer flat-out lying to me... up-selling stuff that is clearly not needed, claiming that it’s “normal,” saying “I’ve never seen that before”, etc. Similar to many of the stories already posted.

My favorite story is about a Firestone Tire service center. My 1990 Toyota Camry overheated on the freeway. I called AAA and they towed me to the Firestone shop. I suspected that the thermostat froze shut. I asked the service writer to please install a new thermostat. He replied “The Mechanic will take a look at it.” So the service writer and the mechanic open the hood and lean over the engine. It’s a small shop and I’m standing a just a few feet behind them. I can hear everything they are saying. Without touching anything, the service writer says, “Tell him that it needs a new radiator and that we’ll need to keep it overnight.” So the two of them turn around, walk over to me and the mechanic says, “Your car needs a new radiator and we’ll need to keep it overnight.” I said, “No” and asked them to push it out of the bay and into their parking lot.

Next door to the Firestone shop was an AutoZone parts store. I walked over to the AutoZone and bought a thermostat, a 10mm wrench and a few bottles of water. I walked back to my car, opened the hood, installed the new thermostat, refilled the radiator with the bottled water and drive off. I left the old frozen thermostat for them as a souvenir.

That was 20+ years ago. It wasn’t a pleasant experience but, to this day, I believe that I did the right thing.

Last edited:
2016 4Runner, my first ever Toyota: "Apparently Premier Toyota in Amherst, Ohio considers "Inspect Cabin Air Filter" means assuming it is still in there. This was my first experience with Toyota service after 14 years with Subaru. Not only was it not cleaned or even shaken out, but I'm nearly positive that nothing was taken out of the glovebox. So much for free ToyotaCare."

I posted that on Instagram, which also posted it on my Facebook Page, and tagged both the dealer and Toyota USA. Crickets...

14882390_925074224289150_1633172233572538289_o.jpg

2016 4Runner, my first ever Toyota: "Apparently Premier Toyota in Amherst, Ohio considers "Inspect Cabin Air Filter" means assuming it is still in there. This was my first experience with Toyota service after 14 years with Subaru. Not only was it not cleaned or even shaken out, but I'm nearly positive that nothing was taken out of the glovebox. So much for free ToyotaCare."

I posted that on Instagram, which also posted it on my Facebook Page, and tagged both the dealer and Toyota USA. Crickets...

View attachment 2616235
I lock my glovebox and only give them the valet key, with no physical key to open mine up. I rather do that one myself.

View attachment 2616235
Yeah, that's the least of bad things that could have happened with having your cabin filter replaced. We almost need to start a new thread of great dealer service to put this post in.

What are VIN stickers and why would they be on the doors?
When I was in the processing of buying our '08 which was located in a different state, I asked the sales guy to see if all the Toyota VIN stickers were on the hood, doors, trunk. He said, "What are VIN stickers and why would they be on the doors?" After I explained it he said he would look and call me back. When he called me back he said the VIN in the dash area matches what they have on the title.

I said I'm going to work with another sales person. He threw a big fit over the phone, I told him it's not my job to explain to him what are Toyota VIN stickers and if I have to explain it again, then he's not qualified to help us in buying it. He threw another fit on the phone. I politely said due to the fact the vehicle had been on their lot for over 90 days and because we're coming in from out-of-state, that he should do whatever it took to answer our questions.

He said, "So are going to buy the land cruiser if I take a picture of all the VIN stickers?" I told him bye and called the sales manager who gave us a different sales guy. That guy was incredibly helpful.
Just curious, where are these VIN stickers? I have never seen them on my 2013

One of the comedy greats!

Just curious, where are these VIN stickers? I have never seen them on my 2013
They are usually white "stickers" with gray/black characters stating the VIN. For older Hondas and Toyotas, they should be on the hood, all doors, and trunk door. If I'm correct, Toyota switched from stickers to etching them into the metal within a few years from the '08 but I don't know the exact year. The VIN is etched on other places such as the engine block and other body panels.

One of the reasons for doing this is if a body panel or major engine part does not have the VIN, then it has been replaced. Those who repair vehicles are not allowed to put on, for example, a new door and then add a sticker. The absence of the VIN indicates the part was replaced from the time it left the factory. I'm sure someone else here can add more specifics.

My frustration with the Toyota sales guy is that he should've know this. He was lazy and sloppy. He didn't get the commission on our rig but someone else did.

Yeah, that's the least of bad things that could have happened with having your cabin filter replaced.
I lock my glovebox and only give them the valet key, with no physical key to open mine up. I rather do that one myself.

Yep! This was on my then new 4Runner, so no negatives from having the dealer check it for free. I replace them myself, anyway. On the LC, I have the @Hoosier Daddy sticker on the cover, and won't be letting them touch it, anyway. ;)

Anyone have the part number for the cabin air filter? Best price/place to pick them up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom